No idea what I am doing?

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, so I will go ahead and say sorry now for having to ask so many trivial things, but this is the first pregnant cat I have ever had as an adult (was 8 when we had one).  I just got Grey a little over a week ago (almost two) so I have NO idea what her "normal" behavior is, nor do I know what her behavior is like before she gives birth?  I am concerned about her noticeable increase in trying to get into places (utility closet, washer room, son's bed, behind Aidan's aquarium, under the desk/shelves and behind the Chameleon cage).  I have several locations that I would prefer her to give birth (I know that it may not be her first choice, LOL!!).  I have a box in the closet in my room (dark, quiet and not to big), a quiet place under my computer desk (not used for anything but storage), a corner by my dresser (closed in on three sides and quiet).  Problem is she is VERY scared by my trying to put her in any location and will run away right away, never giving it any chance!!  Grey is very friendly and LOVES being pet, however she is easily scared and will run and hid at the smallest noise, people (except me and Aidan), quick movement and so on!  How can I help this mommy-to-be feel safer in her new home and pick a location to give birth that is liked by her, but easy for me to observe what is going on?  I REALLY want to see the birth and ensure all goes well, but I do not want to scare her or make her nervous!!!  I will be getting the digital scale, KMR and bottle on Friday; anything more I should have on hand? 

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can always have a few different designated nesting areas set-up, but when the time comes there is absolutely NO guarantee she will have them there. My momma had three nesting spots in my house, and showed major interest in all of them. One in a cubby hole in the bathroom, one in an old computer desk converted to a nesting area, and one in my closet. When the time actually came she chose under my bed, while I was sleeping.
haha. It was okay though I woke up after she had the first one and moved them into the bathroom and she gave birth to the rest there.

Last edited:

eponaboo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Kitty was in her kittening box right up until just before she popped out her first baby, then she got out and went under my bed and had them lol! I really wanted to see the birth but in the end figured it was best not to disturb her, so made do lying on the floor trying see anything in the gloom of under the bed lol!

I did move them to the box later on in the evening as the floor seemed drafty. I guess what I'm trying to say is you can have all the nice cozy nests you want but in the end your cat will probably pick somewhere else (usually a totally unsuitable place lol).

At the end of the day though i am just glad all were born healthy with no complications, its a shame i missed seeing much of anything but healthy mum and babies is the important thing :)