No contact adoptions...?

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, I was not sure where to post this but here goes. I am considering adopting a third cat. There are several rescue groups in my area, so I do have options. But, one group has what they are calling "contact-less adoptions" because of COVID. They say they have volunteers that can match a kitty very well with the right home. But but but...how could anyone adopt without holding a cat, without looking into his eyes, without seeing how he responds? I am thinking I may have to pass on this rescue group, even though I understand their concerns...comments appreciated.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since you mentioned there are several rescue groups in your area why not contact one of them and specifically ask their adoption procedures regarding Covid? One of the shelters where we adopted our dog and last cat is scheduling appointments for this exact purpose so people cannot walk in but have the opportunity to meet the cats/dogs they are interested in adopting.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are they offering a trial period? This past October, I got my kitty as a foster-to-adopt, sight unseen, and the rescue didn't even really know anything about her (except her appearance and rough age), because she came straight from a separate TNR group and the rescue never fostered her first. For me, it was my first cat, so I figured fate would probably pick just as well as I could. But it was nice to know I could "foster succeed," as it were, and try again if it wasn't a fit. (Turns out I won the rescue lottery and got the sweetest kitty ever).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since you mentioned there are several rescue groups in your area why not contact one of them and specifically ask their adoption procedures regarding Covid? One of the shelters where we adopted our dog and last cat is scheduling appointments for this exact purpose so people cannot walk in but have the opportunity to meet the cats/dogs they are interested in adopting.
I think different rescues are doing different things. All are doing "by appointment", even if it to browse available cats.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Around here, shelters are doing what neely neely mentioned. A trial period makes sense and if they are giving you that option it might work. I am always suspicious of breeders/rescuers who are going to hand you an animal that they feel is right for you when they don't even know you. My guess is that this is based on some questionnaire....do you live alone? other animals? kids in house? etc. It could work but I would still want some input before I was handed a cat. Do you get to see pics of the cat first?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes pictures are posted on the website but the personality of the kitty is as important if not more important than how he looks and for that I need to interact with him.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with that....I suppose the only option is that if they really pick the wrong cat for you there has to be a return clause or trial period.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I was not sure where to post this but here goes. I am considering adopting a third cat. There are several rescue groups in my area, so I do have options. But, one group has what they are calling "contact-less adoptions" because of COVID. They say they have volunteers that can match a kitty very well with the right home. But but but...how could anyone adopt without holding a cat, without looking into his eyes, without seeing how he responds? I am thinking I may have to pass on this rescue group, even though I understand their concerns...comments appreciated.
Both places in Berkeley have the the 'virtual meet' crapola in place, because COVID is the Second Coming of the Black Plague and Spanish Flu, all rolled into one terrible TERROR! Here's one of them.

Needless to say, I found alternatives that allow one to make an appointment to come in, look at the cats, spend time with the most likely ones, etc. Let someone choose a cat for me? Not happening!