Nips (kisses?) on my chin, and how to stop them.

acorte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Audrey is constantly rubbing her face all over my face. It's sweet, but she always nips my chin when she does it. If I stop paying attention to her she swats me with her paw to get my attention again. Any ideas on stopping the nips?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Our Sybil used to do something similar - she'd rub her head on your hand, then turn around and bite you. What I found worked: try making a sharp hissing noise (some people prefer a sharp, loud "no"...I hiss) at her when she does it - basically the same response she would get from another cat if she did something they didn't like. With any luck, she'll stop when you do that, then follow up with ignoring her for a few minutes. She should get it after a few times.

I'm sure some of the others here will have more suggestions, though. Good luck!

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our Sybil used to do something similar - she'd rub her head on your hand, then turn around and bite you. What I found worked: try making a sharp hissing noise (some people prefer a sharp, loud "no"...I hiss) at her when she does it - basically the same response she would get from another cat if she did something they didn't like. With any luck, she'll stop when you do that, then follow up with ignoring her for a few minutes. She should get it after a few times.

I'm sure some of the others here will have more suggestions, though. Good luck!
This is good advice.. I had this problem with my male burmese Mikey.. He would act all lovey with you digging his head into your hand for pets, then suddenly wrap you up and bite you! I did just what Ms. Freya suggested, you kinda gotta think like a cat so yours will understand what your trying to get across.. If she bites you and you dont like it, hiss at her.. Eventually she will get the message. 

Mikey loves to rub his cheeks on my face too.. But i enjoy it.. Thats considered the highest form of affection from a cat.. Basically shes letting you know how much she loves you. The nipping are probably love nips too.. Cats tend to do that as well.. Nibble on you.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

acorte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys :) I'll try these, she is def not being mean when she does it... So I don't want to overly upset her.