Nippy 11 Month Old Kitty

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C1725BAB-6A96-47AF-B87D-357A5D32CF69.jpeg
She isn’t fond of the girl holding her but tolerates this baby doll position very well .... so do her two brothers. However she is most sedate/calm about being held of the three teen kitties. If you watched her being held she is so passive/sedate while being held you would swear she was sedated! (Which makes me think Alyx REALLY hurt the cat and deserved her tiny scratch plus so much more! Plus Alyx is well spoiled and bullies her brother when she is given a chance.) Cami was spayed at 4 months old; so that is not a factor.
FC31B8F3-EE94-4BB4-AA9C-04A536B621CF.jpeg
So today Cami nipped at and lightly scratched my 6 year old niece who was bugging her. The kid has a history for being overly aggressive with wanting to hold her (she is not allowed to hold a cat without asking an adult first plus direct supervision ..... and she MUST always let the cat leave if they want to) and the cat was a hissy feral kitten when we got her at 4 weeks old. She hissed so much I nicknamed her Huffandpuff until my mom gave her a real/adopted name. Of the three kittens she is the only one that nips.... so part of it is just her. So those were the players, let me set the scene: Cami is in her cat cave in her cat tree minding her own business and staying out of the family chaos. Alyx’s dad comes over (so she thinks she now has permission to misbehave because I do put up with that) and she takes it upon herself to reach into the cat cave and pet her/?try to pick her up? (how and where I don’t know) then screams her head off that the cat bit her ...... enter the over protective hot head dad falling for his kid’s drama.

Now keep in mind one finger got scratched so lightly that there was barely any blood. There were know puncture marks/cat bite marks. I wouldn’t have even put a band aid on it (just wash it and put some Neosporin on it to make her feel better) but her over protective dad was there. :rolleyes3: My gut response to the kid Alyx would have been ‘what did you do to the Cami to make her nip at you?’ and ‘let’s go clean you up.’

Still I would like to prevent future kid scratching episodes. So how do I explain clearly to the kid what to (not) do to avoid being scratched (besides leave her the hell alone when she is in the cat tree.) Also how do I work on Cami (little miss tortie-rude) to quit nipping? She nips me sometimes when I groom her and I tell her no calmly/firmly. I let her nip away at the comb though. She gets treats after grooming... all burs/mats are cut out. Lastly how do I make sure the kid does not grow to fear cats? Alyx has made so much progress this summer learning how to read cat body language/respect the cat’s personhood/space. She has gotten so much better with the cats! I would hate for her to loose it!

*** she was released immediately after the close up of her face and given treats/left alone.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It's good that Alyx is learning cat body language. But, some cats just don't want to be picked up and carried around like a baby. So, that is the next lesson Alyx needs to learn. It is possible that if Alyx stops picking her up Cami won't be so quick to react negatively to Alyx at other times - Cami might just be concerned every time Alyx comes near that she is going to get picked up.

You need to have a conversation with Alyx's dad that the best way to prevent issues is to tell Alyx that if she would like to interact - in any way - with Cami to check with you first and perhaps you can supervise Alyx while she interacts with Cami. (You can always tell the dad, you want to supervise Cami!) If you are supervising all interactions, you will have many additional opportunities to teach Alyx even more about a cat's body language.

As far as nipping you, perhaps you need to tell Cami "no" about nipping the comb as well. If she isn't allowed to nip the comb she is less likely to either try to, or accidentally, nip you while she goes after the comb. You might also consider breaking up the combing into two separate sessions - it sounds like Cami is getting overstimulated and that might be why she is nipping in the first place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feebysowner thank you for your insight!

Cami lets people hold her all the time with no issues and being very calm. I think the issue was the kid reaching into her safe place “attacking” her with her hand and touching her chest/belly.

I will be honest, part of it is just Alyx’s hyper energy that sets the cats off. Or the kid’s bouncing on the couch or crazy unpredictable movements that just makes all the cat say “nope no way! I am not getting near that crazy!”

I have told Alyx many times to never touch their bellies. That my Jackie is the _only_ one that likes his chest lightly scratched and even then it is just his upper chest. I have taught the kids the right way to pick up cats (one hand under their armpits/supporting their chest and the other hand scoops up their backend) ..... which she couldn’t do if Cami was in her cave. I think I need to explain to her that she may not bug any of the cats when they are hiding/relaxing in their cave/cat tree/tunnel/or Cami’s favorite cardboard triangle.

I think it needs to be made clear by mom (her house) that Nanna, Grandpa or I need to supervise the kids when they interact with the cats to prevent the cats from being aggressive (Alyx from manhandling them!)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I need to explain to her that she may not bug any of the cats when they are hiding/relaxing in their cave/cat tree/tunnel/or Cami’s favorite cardboard triangle.
That's probably your best bet!! If you can get Alyx to appreciate this rule, I am sure Cami will be much less resistant to her.

I think it needs to be made clear by mom (her house) that Nanna, Grandpa or I need to supervise the kids when they interact with the cats to prevent the cats from being aggressive (Alyx from manhandling them!)
Good way to word it to everyone!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK I will try that with the kid. About grooming how do I get her to quit nipping during grooming time (I keep begging my mom to comb her everyday but it never seems to happen. So on my weekly visit I get to be the bad guy that that brushes her/cuts the burs out (& cuts the icky poop clump from around her but/washes her but.) I’m hoping my latest suggestion of just two minutes with a comb every night will work!) If I hiss when she nips it seems to scare her/make her want to nip more. If I stop combing her when she nips she will learn that behavior works.

Should I try a firm no then a few more brush stoles then stopping for a bit? I will also break up her grooming so she doesn’t get overstimulated. * she likes the wide tooth comb over the rubber Kong cat brush all the other (short haired) kitties like. So we use the comb on her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Should I try a firm no then a few more brush stoles then stopping for a bit? I will also break up her grooming so she doesn’t get overstimulated. * she likes the wide tooth comb over the rubber Kong cat brush all the other (short haired) kitties like. So we use the comb on her.
I would try the firm no to see if you can train her not to nip. But, watch her behavior (the 'cat language' thing) to see if she is getting overstimulated. If that is the case, there isn't much you can do but to break up the brushing/cleaning sessions.

Maybe try a wire brush like I use on Feeby (see pic below). She likes both this brush and she also likes a flea comb. But, if I am not looking for fleas, I use the brush.

Attachments

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Explaining that Cami needed supervision worked!!! Thank you!

Plus I explained/showed about over-stimulation, then went to pet Cami after overstimulating her , she grabbed my hand with her paws (no claws) I froze and she resisted the urge to nip, she let go and I slowly pulled my hand away. It was a good visual for Alyx to understand a nip versus a bite, to not over pet her and that when she latches on, to freeze (& why Cami needs supervision.) I also explained that anytime she was in s cave of any sort of cave, it was like her being in her room with a ‘Go away!’ sign on her door. If she is in her cave, she should let her be. All the kittens are so gentle, they are great about keeping their claws/teeth off our delicate human skin!!! I think Alyx must have really annoyed her to get that tiny scratch!

My mom has a furminator brush that I suggested she use. :crossfingers: