Nipping..playing or warning?

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My adopted Senior cat Louise is now getting used to me after 3 weeks in her forever home.
I try to pet her a lot and show her that she can trust me. And she is allowing that and enjoying the pets.
But yesterday for the first time during one of her 'pet sessions' she suddenly rolled on her back, exposing her belly .I read that she is really trusting me when she does that, and so began to pet her upper belly. BUT she gave me one of those quick nips that caused me to yank my hand back. She just stared at me .
I ask..."Was that being playful or do they hate it when people touch their stomachs?" I know kittens nip, but I would think a Senior cat would bite and mean business. What say you?

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha! It's a trap. The stomach is a trap. So much so that there are memes about it. Juno tries to fool me with me with the belly too. The only time I take the bait is when she's super sleepy and even then, I'm super stealthy about it. I think she secretly likes it, but she's imprisoned by her kitty instincts telling her she must protect the belly.

You're lucky it was just a nip. With Juno, it's a full on bunny kick. Belly rubs --> Dr. Jekyll

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
could be both or a trap like above post said kinda hard to guess really without knowing your cat personally. with graycie she is ok with me rubbing her belly but i only rub her sides like ribs never the middle been trapped/tricked to many times already :lol: