Nikita's Licking Of The Fingers...

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So something else I'm curious about. Prince has never done this, but Nikita, as she follows me around everywhere...once I offer my hand or finger to start petting her, she prefers to start licking the hand. I don't know why she does this, it doesn't matter if I have just eaten or not, since she does this about 100% of the time. I read somewhere that it could be part of a grooming thing, but I'm not grooming, petting or brushing her when she does it. She'll just be sitting, I'll show her my hand, she sniffs for a split second and starts to lick.

On other occasions I'll just be sitting around and she'll come up and start licking my arm. I think, surely Prince must be just as baffled because he's always looking at her as if to say "What are you doing?" XD

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww. Olive does this. Sometimes it's apropos of nothing and she just gives me a like or two. She will be on my lap or chest grooming and after a while goes after my head, licking my cheeks and sometimes my hair. The hair is the funniest because she picks a few long strands, and it's awkward and hard for her to spit out because of the length. She spends a few seconds clearing her mouth again and rarely goes for seconds. :kneading:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moo Shu does this as well. Cats' sandpaper tongues with their unique papillæ, are intended for rasping the flesh from the bones of their kills. I lock my bedroom door at night.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My Willow will not be picked up, doesn’t climb on laps and only allows petting on occasion. But when I am wearing short sleeves she will walk past me and give my elbow a quick lick. I take it as a sign of love and affection.