Nikita the beggar cat.

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I don't allow my cats to eat human food, it just quite simply does not happen because I know there's a lot in our food that cats don't eat and shouldn't eat. Prince has never had an interest in human food, I did once try and run a test by holding a piece of bland cooked chicken in front of them, and he simply walked off. Nikita on the other hand....has now come to beg like a dog in her adorable way.

You see my grandfather started to slip table scraps to her at one point when we were visiting him, so now if she's over there and we're at the table, she's walking over and going in and out of the table. She hangs next to Gramps because, well, she knows he's probably going to try and sneak something to her when I'm not looking. At my apartment, I don't have a table, I just have a bar countertop and eat their or in my chair. Prince will be laying somewhere, usually basking in the sun while Nikita will come sit near me, looking up at me with her beady little eyes. If I tell her she's not getting anything, she'll walk away for one second and then return to staring at me. Still, she's not getting anything.

Then today had a hilarious moment, I had my marie callendars sitting on the counter to cool down-neither cat will touch my food when it's out, or at least I never see them. Nikita, will, at most sniff it and then hop away when I start walking towards her. I stepped outside for a couple minutes, then came back inside. I looked at Prince, who was sitting in the sun staring at me, he turned his head and I followed his gaze to the bar counter where the microwave also sits. Nikita steps onto the counter from the kitchen sink area and stops next to the microwave when she sees me, keeping one paw slightly raised.

I squinted at her and she slowly licked her lips as I told her "down". Of course, Prince learned "down" means get down as I taught him this when he was a kitten; but Nikita likes to continue staring at me when I tell her to get down before she either hops off the counter or I have to pick her up and put her on the floor. What was funny in this moment was she almost seemed like she was taunting me for that one moment before she hopped onto the chair and then the floor.

*sigh* I guess I'm going to have to start watching my food more with her haha

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You definitely wouldn't think she'd be the type. Prince is the hyperactive crazy cat and she's so quiet and calm XD

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be beneficial to not completely rule out human food. There is plenty a cat CAN have such as plain meats and if they ever end up with diarrhea, plain boiled chicken or turkey can be great to calm the digestive tract. Of course handing it to them at the table is only going to teach them bad habits, but try to put it in their food dish instead if you have something to give to them. It is so hard to ignore once the habit forms though.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say let your little devil (sweet smart angel) have table scraps from grandpa on a saucer, away from the table (but must not be onion or garlic or things that harm kitties. Give grandpa a lust.) At your place be firm about it. Cats & kids are smart enough to figure out different homes have different rules.

Jackie looks at me when I tell him off, until I stand up to chase him off. 🙄