Night walks?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone walk their cats at night?

Today I slept in & missed the cool time when I could take Jackie outside. (MS, tempature sensitive, live in the hills of Southern California) So I took him out tonight. On his walk he was like a different kitty, hunting every flying insect and trying to climb a tree 🤦🏻‍♀️ Mind you his walks are just a bit around my apartment building’s grounds.

It made me think maybe I should be taking him for a nighttime stroll once a week, just to keep his mind active. I have resisted Because I haven’t wanted to search for him in the dark if he got loose. However he was well behaved, just not wanting to go inside.

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I walk mine day or night. What would be best I think is, how secure is he? If you're not comfortable at night or there is a chance he can get away daytime might be best. If you can control the situation at all times do both. My girl wants to be outside bad, but at times I connect a rope to her harness in the backyard so she can't get loose/over the wall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well ?secure-ish? He has mastered the art of escaping his harness if the leash is taunt(caught on something.) However he is happy to drag his leash around. He has escaped quite a few times (until I got a lock installed on my screen door.) So I know that he will always let me catch him (but he may do some laps first) & that when he is scared the best thing I can do is to drop his leash (& let him run home.) So I feel pretty confident taking him on short walks at night. He does great in his harness and doesn’t try to escape unless he is scared and can’t run home. He just wants to sniff stuff and hunt bugs. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Plus he has light colored fur I can see better. His brother Nick is black and I wouldn’t walk him in daylight without a reflective bright colored harness! I put him in his harness.... without the leash (when I’m watching his outside) just so I can see him! Because Nick blends in with every shadow during daylight. (They are doing this at Nana’s house with a fenced in backyard.)

Attachments