Night time crazies

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Pam and welcome along to TCS, and thanks for helping us all out....

Little background

Ive recently brought my cats back to live with me (July 9th) they went from one biggish room to being in a 1bed flat.  The move has gone fine and they are all settled in, eating fine litter box fine etc...

but the one biggy is they have started running about, boxing, pay fighting at stupid o'clock in the morning it started off at half 2 am and after a couple f weeks of different things Ive got it to between 5 am and half 5.

But at time when Sooty wakes up and he cant immediately see either me or Flash (she's living up to her name at the moment) he yowls and cries.

I've tried feeding them later, wearing them out through play before bed, treats to bribe them in a fashion....

But I don't want to reinforce the fact that they will get fed if they are causing mischief and mayhem 

Am I doing anything wrong and what can I do to help/curb the behaviour?

Many Thanks 

AJ 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Forgot to add Flash is 4 and Sooty is 3 and a half both spayed and neutered 

johnson-bennett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yikes, that's a tough sleep schedule. It sounds as though you're doing the typical things I would recommend such as playing with them right before bed and then feeding them so I would suggest, at this point, you try setting out puzzle feeders that are only available in the evening. It will give them a job to do at night and they'll get a reward for it. I hide puzzle feeders around my house at night for my bengal cat to find. It keeps her occupied and I'm able to catch a few extra hours of sleep.

Pam Johnson-Bennett, CCBC

www.catbehaviorassociates.com

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will look into that thank you!

Things can't be to loud ad there is someone that lives in the downstairs flat although he did say he hadn't heard them so that's good

Once again thank you

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will look into that thank you!

Things can't be to loud ad there is someone that lives in the downstairs flat although he did say he hadn't heard them so that's good

Once again thank you

johnson-bennett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have carpeting then you can easily use puzzle feeders. If you have hardwood flooring throughout then that might get a bit loud in the wee hours of the morning. If that's the case you can make some puzzle feeders out of the cardboard insert from paper towels. Cut holes in the cardboard, fold one of the ends closed, put some dry kibble in the other end and then fold that down. The cardboard feeder can be a quiet puzzle feeder for late nights.

Pam Johnson-Bennett, CCBC

www.catbehaviorassociates.com

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Pam will try the cardboard type one because all though I have carpet it isnt that thick at all :)