Nick Picking At His New Nub Tail

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Nick’s tail is all healed up & his fur is starting to grow back. My mom says Nick is chasing his nub and picking at it. I looked real close & he is missing some of the new grow back fur at the tip.

Is this a nerve thing or a ‘what is that thing following me’ thing?

Is there anything we can do to help?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh boy! I suppose it could be the same 'phantom' thing humans experience when losing part of a limb. I don't know what else to suggest other than the dreaded cone/collar. If he is under constant supervision, you could try to distract him whenever you notice he is bugging it.

You could also try some calming products (Feliway or Bach Rescue Remedy ear drops), or even some chamomile tea to give to him. If you choose to try the tea, get chamomile tea bags from a grocery store (most of them are German, you don't want English tea and you don't want any that have additives/extra flavorings), brew a bag in water, cool the liquid, and syringe feed 3 teaspoonfuls of it, 3 times a day. If he will lap it up, that is fine too. Just know that not all calming products work on all cats, so you may be experimenting with some.

I hope other members have some better ideas and come along soon to offer them!!!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what exactly he had done on that tail but I had a cat who's tail was caught in the door and had to be amputated.

It could be sensitive or itchy. Unless he's really bugging at it or if it starts to bleed I don't really think you need to do anything.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the missing fur that is exactly how it grew back on my cat. Vet said it was because the scar tissue doesn't grow fur very well because of the hair follicle having trauma.