Nice to meet you all!

SilveredFox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I found this site from a search for anyone who'd had experience with something I need to try for one of my furbabies and there's almost no shared experiences out there. It led me here though! I figured I'd take a moment to introduce myself, and introduce my kitties if I was going to be around here for a bit.

So I'm Silv! I've been around cats since I was born. Grew up with all of my moms cats and then all of my own. I currently have three wonderful furbabies.

My oldest Honey just showed up one day, shivering and hungry after an ice storm and I couldn't help but feed her. Fast forward a year and a half and she adopted herself to me and came inside. She's got a whole host of issues we're still figuring out because we don't really have a medical history for her beyond 'was outdoors and rough for at least a few years min' and she was either an escaped housecat, or dumped somewhere. Vet shaved her belly to check and found a spay scar but she isn't eartipped and has impeccable indoor manners so she definitely was indoors at some point in her life before she came to us. She has some odd quirks like being afraid to jump on furniture and an absolute fear of carriers that only got better with time and constant reassurance that YES you're allowed it's ok to jump on stuff, and YES we go but we come back after the vet. So I really have my suspicions. But either way she's an amazing and gentle little girl and she came into our lives exactly when I needed her. She's been through a lot and I hope that I'll be able to keep helping her through everything we have to go through still with support and being able to talk to people here. (She needed pretty major teeth surgery and has SCC so it's been a journey, and it's going to keep being a journey but she's worth the work)
honey1.GIF
Honey is some age that's probably maybe 9 or 10 but we have no idea. The vet's best guess was 'definitely at least 5 most likely since she's full grown but not extremely old. Probably.' Which for an outdoor stray is the best we can guess going by adding the few years she's been indoors with us, and the year and a half after she showed up where she remembered that people weren't all terrifying creatures and decided that she was staying here.

My other ones are two kittens I adopted pretty much the day after my 19 and a half year old baby went. I'd always planned on getting kittens when that day came and I saw a pair that spoke to me and the shelter thought I was a good fit so I hopped over that same day.

They've absolutely helped keep me going and I love them so much. Currently they're going on 2 and a half years old and I'm overly worried about keeping them happy and healthy. They also get into absolutely everything which is probably why most of my waking thoughts are 'oh no what do I have to bother my vet about now'

So Griffon's my snugglebug of a boy. He's the friendly to make up for how much work his sister was. They actually ended up being a package deal because the shelter was so worried that she wouldn't be placed easily they wanted to make sure they at least had a chance to be adopted as a pair. Shion was quite the little semi-feral 6 month old but I went into the adoption 100% willing to accept her even if she never warmed up to people. I'll be forever grateful to the foster who got her just tolerant enough of people that I was able to work with her over the next months.

I couldn't even go slightly near her for the first month and a half I had her without her being absolutely terrified but she's very VERY food motivated so with a lot of patience, taking 2 steps backwards every so often when I tried to take a single step forward, and her being pretty jealous of her brother she warmed up and is now such a lap cat.

Pretty much I had to sit next to her food every single time she ate and get her to tolerate me both being there and touching her head and if I skipped even one single day she'd revert almost all the way back assuming she could just wait me out.

I'm more stubborn than a sweetheart of a kitten apparently.

After a while she decided that running away was actually quite tiring and I wasn't all that scary anyways and I still remember her very first headbutt. Adopting the shy scared kitties can be so rewarding when they blossom and warm up to you. Also getting to know that I gave her a chance to stay with her brother who she was very bonded to makes it even more worth it.

I'll toss in a few pictures of her and her brother and how far she came (and probably ramble about her a lot elsewhere because I end up rambling about her a lot generally) Griffon's black and Shion's white. I didn't get a ton of pictures when she was still super scared but I did get one that shows pretty clearly how she felt about me, and then after months of love and time and effort.

From - 20200531_120811.jpg to - 20210311_143416.jpg and 20210311_143409.jpg
I figure an intro to me is an intro to them too so sorry for the wall of an intro here!
20201127_061825.jpg

It's nice to meet all of you.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
depositphotos_100748474-stock-illustration-cat-with-hello.jpg
Silv, Honey, Griffon and Shion, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
04dc1171beeb7d41f8292ff3afb1cc22.jpg
to all of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

So
IMG_3272.GIF
to hear about your other 19 and a half year old kitty :alright:. You may want to pay a tribute to her here in crossing-the-bridge.19

Thank you for allowing Honey to adopt you and also for adopting Griffon and Shion :clapcat:
They are lovely :hearthrob: :redheartpump: and we have a special thread here just for them in black-cats-only.268663 and I believe Shion is a bi-color kitty - bi-color-kitties-only.85808. and many fun threads here in fur-pictures-and-videos-only.29 to showcase what your kitties are up to. Also there is a current 'Picture of The Month' contest here in picture-of-the-month-april-2022-naughty-cats.442958. See if you have a photo of your kitties that fits the description.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:to you and your beautiful fur family. They are so cute I have a soft spot for black cat's and love Shions patch on her head. Just look at my profile pic you'll see why.
:purr:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SilveredFox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The second I saw Shion's picture she had my heart.
The fact that her brother's an absolute cuddlebug and was just what I needed (he's very like and unlike my boy which is perfect) was a wonderful bonus.

I've had cats with similar markings and there's just something about them. Your little ones are adorable!

I'm so glad I was able to make time that day and that they wanted me to come in for them. I think the fact that I was 100% willing and accepting of the reality that Shion might never actually be a friendly cat made them be a bit more enthusiastic towards my application versus 'oh what cute kittens! I'm sure she'll warm up' cause I bet everyone wanted the absolute charmer Griffon is.

After getting my outdoor girl friendly I had some practice with the process and I knew that even if we only ever got to a 'I tolerate your presence being in my presence and am not scared' level I'd love her anyways. With Honey I'd originally just planned to get her a little friendly to give her a better chance at being adopted some day- I know that the friendly cats have a much better chance than the scared ones. Of course it worked too well and she decided *I* Was her person and so I am. But it was good practice for Shion.

I'm so glad all the work paid off. It still took like a year or so. 8 months to be allowed to reach out to pet her whenever without her being so skittish and I can't even remember how long it was before I took a chance and tried to see if she'd let me pick her up. She's still squirmy but she will let me cuddle her now and that's just amazing progress from where she started.

I can thank her brother being a great role model XD There were more than a few moments where I'm snuggling Griffon, or giving him belly rubs and she'd just be like D: I don't know what that is but I want that too why don't I have that. It helped so much. Also I still got my snuggles because he's such a good snugglebug so having to spend months unable to interact with her while she got comfortable at her own pace was less frustrating.

Attachments

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The second I saw Shion's picture she had my heart.
The fact that her brother's an absolute cuddlebug and was just what I needed (he's very like and unlike my boy which is perfect) was a wonderful bonus.

I've had cats with similar markings and there's just something about them. Your little ones are adorable!

I'm so glad I was able to make time that day and that they wanted me to come in for them. I think the fact that I was 100% willing and accepting of the reality that Shion might never actually be a friendly cat made them be a bit more enthusiastic towards my application versus 'oh what cute kittens! I'm sure she'll warm up' cause I bet everyone wanted the absolute charmer Griffon is.

After getting my outdoor girl friendly I had some practice with the process and I knew that even if we only ever got to a 'I tolerate your presence being in my presence and am not scared' level I'd love her anyways. With Honey I'd originally just planned to get her a little friendly to give her a better chance at being adopted some day- I know that the friendly cats have a much better chance than the scared ones. Of course it worked too well and she decided *I* Was her person and so I am. But it was good practice for Shion.

I'm so glad all the work paid off. It still took like a year or so. 8 months to be allowed to reach out to pet her whenever without her being so skittish and I can't even remember how long it was before I took a chance and tried to see if she'd let me pick her up. She's still squirmy but she will let me cuddle her now and that's just amazing progress from where she started.

I can thank her brother being a great role model XD There were more than a few moments where I'm snuggling Griffon, or giving him belly rubs and she'd just be like D: I don't know what that is but I want that too why don't I have that. It helped so much. Also I still got my snuggles because he's such a good snugglebug so having to spend months unable to interact with her while she got comfortable at her own pace was less frustrating.
Awww they have definitely landed on their paws getting you as their person. And those pictures are just adorable.