Next Steps in Socializing

Ebsyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Earlier this year, I took in two feral cats that I had been feeding and caring for. (They are the mother + sister to two boys that I own. Long story.)

The girls and I have made significant progress. They have a setup in the guest bedroom right now with a cat tree, litter box, food, water, etc. We've been working on exposing them to house sounds. They accept pets, but not being held. I can pick up and transport them (quickly) from one spot to the tree without losing an eye. But, holding and cuddles? Probably out of the question.

My other cats (2 which are the brother/son) of these two cats have been my "ambassadors". The boys play with the girls quite regularly and love to be in the room with them. They help show the girls that I'm not scary and I demonstrate petting, holding and all that fun stuff to the girls using the boys.

We are at a point where I slowly want to start introducing them to rooms in the house and also my dog. But, I'm not quite sure how to go about this. We've had a gate up so they can see my dog + see the cats playing with my dog. But, my dog does have a tendency to herd everyone and put them in line if they are breaking house rules. (She's a Corgi. She's very opinionated and sassy. Hates anyone anyone scratching furniture. She's not aggressive but she basically chases them off.)

I've only ever acclimated kittens to my dog. I've never done this with adults. So, any advice ya'll have - I need it!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles

It sounds as if you have done a really great job with all of your cats! Everything seems to be progressing as it should with the four of them and they are lucky to have you for a guardian.

I have always had dogs and cat together. As I only rescue, including dogs, I have often taken in what needed to be rescued at the time, so there was never any consideration as to age or size. My most common dog breed has been GSDs and I currently have a very ancient one now who adores the cats and vice versa.

Corgis are very popular in my area and I see a couple, at least, every day on a walk. They strike me as very cute and spunky little guys, opinionated as you say.

In your case, the cats know you have the corgi and have seen her, so it is not a huge shock like "where did this dog come from?". My GSDs have not been herders, but I think that it is important that the pup not herd the cats, at least not now. Later, the cats might see it as a game.....or not, but it could be upsetting at the beginning.

My experience with adult cats has been that at first they are wary of the dog.....and this has been without the introduction that you have been able to give your cats.....but as the dog remained calm, they learned that he would not hurt them. If the dog chased them, all bets were off and we had to start from scratch. I have had cats who never really took to my dogs; one tortie would walk up and sucker punch my dog in the face and walk away.....but he let her as he was trained not to react given that he was huge and she was not. Your corgi sounds adorable, but to me a lot of this is on the fact that she not decide that she needs to supervise the cats at first. Once they know the parameters of her behavior, they may not even care that she barks if they scratch, or it may discourage that behavior if they do it, but they have to know that she is not going to hurt them.

I did teach my biggest GSD boy who was 126 lbs and 26 inches the command "kitty no no" and he completely complied with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ebsyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles

It sounds as if you have done a really great job with all of your cats! Everything seems to be progressing as it should with the four of them and they are lucky to have you for a guardian.

I have always had dogs and cat together. As I only rescue, including dogs, I have often taken in what needed to be rescued at the time, so there was never any consideration as to age or size. My most common dog breed has been GSDs and I currently have a very ancient one now who adores the cats and vice versa.

Corgis are very popular in my area and I see a couple, at least, every day on a walk. They strike me as very cute and spunky little guys, opinionated as you say.

In your case, the cats know you have the corgi and have seen her, so it is not a huge shock like "where did this dog come from?". My GSDs have not been herders, but I think that it is important that the pup not herd the cats, at least not now. Later, the cats might see it as a game.....or not, but it could be upsetting at the beginning.

My experience with adult cats has been that at first they are wary of the dog.....and this has been without the introduction that you have been able to give your cats.....but as the dog remained calm, they learned that he would not hurt them. If the dog chased them, all bets were off and we had to start from scratch. I have had cats who never really took to my dogs; one tortie would walk up and sucker punch my dog in the face and walk away.....but he let her as he was trained not to react given that he was huge and she was not. Your corgi sounds adorable, but to me a lot of this is on the fact that she not decide that she needs to supervise the cats at first. Once they know the parameters of her behavior, they may not even care that she barks if they scratch, or it may discourage that behavior if they do it, but they have to know that she is not going to hurt them.

I did teach my biggest GSD boy who was 126 lbs and 26 inches the command "kitty no no" and he completely complied with it.
so, I had to just come here and tell you what happened this weekend. I’ve been giving the girls access to my bedroom while I’m home during the weekends. Well, I guess they know how to jump a gate now. Because, their Mom strolled into the living room in all her Calico glory like she owned the place. Not a care in the world about my dog. Luckily, I had a leash on hand and let her have space. While my dog could see her walking around and know it was okay.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Coat color supposedly does not determine personality, but that sounds like all the calicos and torties I have ever known.