Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

News Media Ratings

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by JamesCalifornia, May 24, 2019.

1. JamesCalifornia

JamesCalifornia Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles

- - CNN’s prime-time ratings plunged 26% in April — the cable news network’s worst month for total viewers since October 2015, according to Nielsen Media Research.
    The network suffered a 41% slide in viewers aged 25 to 54 — the demographic most coveted by advertisers. And not one of its prime-time shows finished in the top five for news.
    Three news networks saw April declines in the desirable demographic over last year, with MSNBC down 36% and Fox News down 19%.
    Fox News led the pack in prime time ratings, drawing an average of 2.4 million viewers to its top lineup, flat over April 2018.
    ~
    ~ Is it possible that America is tired of negative 'spin' with each political news report ? Apparently more people are turning to an alternative source for information such as foreign broadcasts / YouTube or independent news press.
    It seems that CNN should have stayed with Larry "suspenders" King ! `:doh:

What say you ... ?

foxxycat purraised this.

2. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Everyone I know has canceled cable. Even my parents just cancelled theirs last month. It's not a good time to be a cable channel.

Of course Youtube is what's convincing so many to become flat-Earthers and anti-vaxxers so I'm not sure it's an improvement :/.

3. doomsdave

doomsdave TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    The New York Post doesn't appear to be a reliable non-partisan observer.

Any more than the First Pig or any of the rest.

Maybe just disregard?

Or, provide more facts?

4. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH

5. JamesCalifornia

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles
    ~ I think most people like myself are tired of "sensationalized" news reporting. FOX has been accurate about 80% of the time . CNN has been wrong about 80% of the time - and they never do retractions. In general both are not very reliable . ABC/CBS/NBC are obviously tainted towards the left.
    I find independent news source scattered about the internet is the best way to get both sides of an issue without the drama. Also International news from foreign source such as BBC/DW/French 24 etc. is more reliable than US broadcast news.
    :ruminating: No matter what we watch/read we can never be sure .

foxxycat purraised this.

6. Jem

Jem TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 6, 2018
    I agree with your sentiment. But wanted to put a different thought on this. Could it just be the time of year? How were the ratings last April? I only mention this because we often get things like "unemployment is up!..." when seasonal workers are "out of season" and vise versa when they are back to work again. Every year these numbers get published, (and to your point about drama in the news) and every year theses numbers are used politically. I hope there are more people out there who can see past that and use some common sense other than me.
    Where I am, things are very cyclical, and I assume it's like this everywhere. This past month everything has taken a bit of a hit because people are finally able to get out and get their yards in order, summer sports are starting up...etc. Many people aren't watching TV, going to the mall, etc...

7. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    The ones that I linked to were comparisons to the same month in previous years.

8. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    "Sensationalized"?

By whose measure?

Says who?

Fox news? I'm holding back a laugh. Belly fat vibrating.

muffy purraised this.

9. NY cat man

NY cat man TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 6, 2018
    I cannot speak to what passes for news at the various cable outlets, as I don't have cable, but I am not surprised at their ratings drop, from other sources' reportage. As to the networks, I look at them with a jaundiced eye, not really trusting them for their past lapses, to wit:
    NBC- the ' exploding' GM gas tanks that were rigged with pyro charges, and the 'creative' editing of the George Zimmerman 911 tape
    CBS- Dan Rather airing phony 'documents' relating to George W. Bush's service in the Texas ANG
    ABC- hiring Clinton press flack George Stephanopoulos as an on-air reporter, supposedly serious and unbiased.
    So no, I don't trust any of them, and if their ratings tank, well, they have earned it. .

JamesCalifornia and foxxycat purraised this.

10. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    And, Fox has long been a wholly non-credible news source. No point in listening to them at all.

goingpostal and muffy purraised this.

11. NY cat man

Aug 6, 2018
    As I said, I don't have cable, so neither Fox, nor CNN, nor MSNBC, nor any of the others has ever graced my TV set.

foxxycat purraised this.

12. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    You do realize that many people feel the same way about much of what is on MSNBC.

foxxycat, Stinky15 and NY cat man purraised this.

13. JamesCalifornia

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles
    ~ A majority of those who were surveyed by Ruters, Knight/Gallup etc. said they had lost trust in the media. I think the decline will continue . :deal:

foxxycat and NY cat man purraised this.

14. NY cat man

Aug 6, 2018
    The situation with the media, both print and electronic, as it exists today brings to mind a line from a Tom Clancy novel, written 20-some years ago-" Why should I trust you? You're a reporter."

foxxycat purraised this.

15. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    That's not good. The media is THE only thing that keeps politicians even slightly non-corrupt or the teensiest bit honest.

muffy purraised this.

16. NY cat man

Aug 6, 2018
    This is true, but then the question becomes one of who created this situation? In my estimation, the media have no one to blame but themselves, and I don't see a way out for them. After all, if someone betrays the trust you have in them, how do they get it back?

17. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    You can't please everyone. It's entirely impossible. If they report something this side doesn't like, they'll be hated and distrusted. If they report something that side doesn't like, they'll be hated and distrusted. I think they just have to tolerate some people hating and distrusting them, providing it doesn't end up in violence or legal oppression.

18. NY cat man

Aug 6, 2018
    They could start by sticking to the truth- unvarnished, unbiased, in context, and complete- you know, just the who, what, when, where, and why.

Jem, foxxycat, Stinky15 and 1 other person purraised this.

19. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    That's not possible. There's no way to word things that isn't biased in some way, or at least will be perceived to be biased. AP words things in the most neutral way possible, and I've heard people call the AP "liberal hacks".

The media being hated isn't new. There's a reason "don't kill the messenger" is a saying. It's still not good though. I think the recent media distrust is related to the recent fad of not trusting experts.

20. NY cat man

Aug 6, 2018
    Actually, I think it is possible- just not with the current crop of blow-dried bubbleheads that inhabit the anchor chairs and newsrooms.

Jem, foxxycat and Stinky15 purraised this.