Newly rescued feral kitten -bunch of health issues

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I trapped a feral kitten yesterday, took him to the vet and he has been in a separate room from my older resident cats. I have been spending time socializing him and he is doing very well but while I have been handling him, I've noticed several things:
1. He might have ear mites (coffee ground dust in ears)
2. Stomach is distended making him look odd--small face and a pot belly
3. Poops are white, flat and loose
4. Terrible breath
He was given all his vaccinations yesterday, leukemia test came back negative, was dewormed, and got his flea treatment. I can't take him back to the vet because he is clearly traumatized by all the changes in his life.
I can treat ear mites with homemade treatment as I already have some for my rabbits. Don't know what to do about the other issues. Any suggestions as to what I can do to help him?
I can't even let him near my own cats till he is free from all these issues as one of my cats has a suppressed immune system. He is living on borrowed time and I would not like to endanger that in any way. So, the kitten will have to live in one room for several weeks which isn't a great scenario for any one of us.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have kept cats and kittens in separate rooms when needed and it is certainly not the worst thing you can do while you socialize and help this kitten. As long as he has his things...food, water source, bedding, toys, he will be fine as long as you continue to interact with him. You do have to think of your other cat.

I am assuming, possibly incorrectly, that if the distended tummy was full of worms then that has been treated, fleas should be gone. A lot was done to the kitten in one day if he was given all the vaccines along with worming and flea treatment and you might be seeing some side effects from that. I would certainly call the vet and report on how the kitten is doing and ask a few questions about those symptoms. As for ear mites, the vet must have looked in the ears and possibly could give you something for them. Definitely update the vet; since he just saw the cat, if it is a question of giving you any other meds you should not have to make a trip back in.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he was at the vet, and got dewormed and defleased, I presume it will take care of these earmites and worms. Even it it doenst work at once.
So its entirely correct by you you keep him isolated from your residents, till you know for sure all the parasites are gone, and he is healthy...

You will probably need to repeat these dewormings after 3-4 weeks (depends on the exact dewormer), but Im sure the vet told you so too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Doesn't goat milk also have some lactose? I do have some at home, actually but was not sure. I gave him a raw chicken wing and he really enjoyed that. It was gone in 10 minutes. I also gave him a flea bath, cleaned his ears, applied mite treatment, and brushed his teeth. Boy all this is so easy with a kitten even though he was a feral. My older cats fight me every day with brushing etc.
Thank you all for your valuable insights as I have never had a kitten and a rescue one at that. Both ours were already adults when we got them. So this is an interesting experience.
By the way, his mother still comes around to eat. I was wondering if he would recognize her down the road and try to escape to get to her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats are able to process goat milk more easily than cow milk :)

he would recognize her down the road
He might, but if he's been weaned by her, maybe not unless he's stubborn. This one is a little difficult to know. Thinking of that, if you don't have a heartbeat toy, something like a ticking clock could be used (if it's too loud it can be muffled with a towel).

Something for him to snuggle with, sometimes socks with dry rice or beans is suggested, gently microwaved (although these require maintenance on your part...)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old is the kitten? What and how much are you feeding him? Kittens need to eat wet food 4-6 times a day, and need 24/7 access to dry food and water.

Over time, his poops and breath should improve as he gets good nutrition and becomes healthier.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you were able to do all those things for him, including brushing his teeth, he is not that feral. He is tiny, but I have rescued a lot of feral kittens who would not sit still for a teeth brushing. I did have a feral who never broke the bond with her mother over a long period of time, but that is not usual.

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a picture of your new boy?
Will take one soon. Have had my hands full with him. I got to spend about 4 hours straight with him because he cried too much. My resident cats were also very peturbed so I had to go calm them down. LOL. I wish I could divide myself into pieces. My poor human children are being so patient with me.

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so very much for taking care of that little kitten, You must be a very kind and special person to do all of the things you are doing for it...God bless ya.

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is the kitten?
I guessed him to be 4 months old as he was born in our yard although we discovered him in mid-August. The vet put his birth down to 6 months. So not sure. He is doing very well though despite the discouragement from the shelter about adopting a feral kitten past 8 weeks.

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a picture of your new boy?
Yes I do now! Thanks for being patient.
Update: 5 days later after trapping: I can handle him as well as a tame cat so he is no longer a feral. His worms seem to have gone but we are still being cautious. Fleas and mites are pretty much gone but I am keeping up with the treatment. He has been introduced to both my kitties. The sick one, I was most nervous about, seems to have accepted him with no problems. The one I thought was laid back and serene--well, things are not going as well with him. He is also our alpha cat. So, we will continue with the integration because my heart is set on him staying with us.
Thanks SO much for all the help and advice. I wouldn't have made it without all the support.

Attachments