Newly adopted Rescue

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Meme for 2 Meme for 2

Any updates on Cece?
So funny that you asked that, this morning I went in to feed CeCe and she was laying on the side of a kitchen chair I have in there. Seems to be her spot at night so I have a soft blanket there for her. I put her food there instead of her normal place and laid down on the floor mattress and she came right out to eat. I stayed nice and quiet whike she ate with some soft praises. Then she walked by my head over to her water bowl. I dangled my hand on that side of the mattress and she started walking towards it! She got about a foot away and stopped, then went over to her tower. Sooooo close! First time she has ever approached me. And she actually gave me a little meow this morning when I went in to feed her.
She is definitely getting more comfortable now that she has no bed to hide under. She sees us every time we go in there, we go in often to talk to her, letting her get used to seeing us instead of just feet going by. She lets me use a toothbrush attached to a wand to pet the top of her head and actually enjoys it. I never follow that with my hand, always trying to allow her to trust me. She will come to me if and when she is ready, on her terms. But seeing her so relaxed is like such a gift.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Then she walked by my head over to her water bowl. I dangled my hand on that side of the mattress and she started walking towards it! She got about a foot away and stopped, then went over to her tower. Sooooo close! First time she has ever approached me. And she actually gave me a little meow this morning when I went in to feed her.
That's great to hear! :clapcat:

The next time you dangle your hand on the side of the mattress and while she approach you, form your hand into a fist. This way, it looks like another cat's head ready to do a head bump. An open palm will be more intimidating to her.

Keep it up. Both of you are doing great!

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My sweet little CeCe girl, she finds comfort in the dark cover of night. I visit with her in her favorite nighttime spot, a soft pillow of blankets to lay on where she thinks she is hidden. I lay on the floor and put some treats down, she instantly starts purring, rolling around, stretching her paws out and curling her cat beans. Sweetest sight to watch!
We almost had a breakthrough two weeks ago, I went in to feed her in the morning and it was still dark. I knew to move slowly, called her name and she was right there by the door. She peeked her head around the doorway and gave a few meows. I didn’t want to spook her so I gently put her food bowl down and sat on the floor. I put my fist out and she sat there for a few minutes. All of a sudden she moved towards me 😳 Completely startled me! I sucked in my breath and she retreated and I felt so bad! So I held my fist out again and she instantly moved forward, startled me again! Poor girl, I felt awful that I spooked her, my heart was beating so fast! She must have sensed I was spooked so she went to her tower.
I have waited so long and lost that opportunity, I instantly was in tears. But, since then I know she wants love.
At night when I visit I use the toothbrush on her play stick, she absolutely loves to be pet and scratched with it, rolls all over the place getting scratches on her head, her belly, her paws. She is close, she wants love, I patiently hold out my fist to let her make that first move again. I feel her gaining trust and she seems so happy☺

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
she instantly starts purring, rolling around, stretching her paws out and curling her cat beans. Sweetest sight to watch!
We almost had a breakthrough two weeks ago, I went in to feed her in the morning and it was still dark. I knew to move slowly, called her name and she was right there by the door. She peeked her head around the doorway and gave a few meows. I didn’t want to spook her so I gently put her food bowl down and sat on the floor. I put my fist out and she sat there for a few minutes. All of a sudden she moved towards me 😳 Completely startled me! I sucked in my breath and she retreated and I felt so bad! So I held my fist out again and she instantly moved forward, startled me again! Poor girl, I felt awful that I spooked her, my heart was beating so fast! She must have sensed I was spooked so she went to her tower.
This is great improvements. Purring, rolling around and stretching when she sees you means that she's happy to see you.

Give her some more time for her to approach you with more confidence. I guess she's still in a double mind but she's made great progress. Next time, put a treat in your palm and let her smell your fist and open slowly and see if she takes the treat from your hand. This will help her be more calm. Don't give up!

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is great improvements. Purring, rolling around and stretching when she sees you means that she's happy to see you.

Give her some more time for her to approach you with more confidence. I guess she's still in a double mind but she's made great progress. Next time, put a treat in your palm and let her smell your fist and open slowly and see if she takes the treat from your hand. This will help her be more calm. Don't give up!
Thank you, I will definitely try that! I have to add too that I am no longer giving her the gabapentin. She is doing all of this naturally. If I see an increase in her anxiety I can always go back to using it but I didn’t like how lethargic she seemed even on half dose.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am enjoying my time with her and watching her warm up to me, it is such a good feeling knowing she has a happy place to live in. I can definitely see a difference in her. During the day she must feel more vulnerable, she is more watchful and on alert so I keep those visits quieter for now. Once she comes around more after dark I will be able to show her she is safe at all times

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I am enjoying my time with her and watching her warm up to me, it is such a good feeling knowing she has a happy place to live in. I can definitely see a difference in her. During the day she must feel more vulnerable, she is more watchful and on alert so I keep those visits quieter for now. Once she comes around more after dark I will be able to show her she is safe at all times
Both of you are doing great. Cece is just being cautious and you just keep doing the same thing for her. More assurance and more love is what she still needs for the time being.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Meme for 2 Meme for 2 : anything new with your precious Cece?
Still working with her slowly, she loves when I come in at night ro interract with her. She will play with her toys where she is laying and roll around and purr. She LOVES when I use the toothbrush on a pole to pet her☺. I repeat to her Mommy pet you, then put the pole down and hold out my fist so maybe she will associate it together.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some CeCe updates….we are still working slowly together at night. She feels much more secure after sundown and is much more interactive with me. No petting yet but that may come someday. When I first go in there and start talking softly she sits up and moves forward a bit to be closer. I always bring treats for our time together and of course the is the toothbrush for lots of ‘pets’ which she now leans into then rolls around for belly pets with it. She will come out and lay very close to me, within almost arms length, then roll around and reach her paws out. I will usually slide a toy over to her with the toothbrush and she will play with it. She will allow me to get up and walk right by her to tend to her food and water, without being afraid. I keep my voice nice and soft and the look on her face is one of trust. She is becoming much more confident and relaxed, it is amazing to see her progress. Some people do not understand why I don’t just reach in to pet her, or why I spend so much time with a cat who isn’t like the ‘normal’ cat. I adore CeCe and love knowing that I am allowing her to feel safe for the first time in her life. I know that someday she will allow me to touch her without fear and that day will be a blessing.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love reading these updates about Cece. She really is making progress, albeit baby step ones. But such a change from when you first adopted her. Your patience and love for her is making all the difference, and I have no doubt she will let you touch you one day, and maybe even become a lap cat. :hearthrob:

If you can get any new pictures of her, without causing her stress, I'd love to see one. :camera:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
....................which she now leans into then rolls around for belly pets with it. She will come out and lay very close to me, within almost arms length, then roll around and reach her paws out. I will usually slide a toy over to her with the toothbrush and she will play with it.

If she allows belly rubs with a toothbrush, it shoes that she's making an effort too. Next time if you sit next to her and she's belly up, try clenching your fist and let her smell and try doing the head bump thing with her. Once she starts rubbing her cheek against your fist, your next move is petting her but not at the instance of cheek rubbing. Let her do it over many times before you make your move.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love reading these updates about Cece. She really is making progress, albeit baby step ones. But such a change from when you first adopted her. Your patience and love for her is making all the difference, and I have no doubt she will let you touch you one day, and maybe even become a lap cat. :hearthrob:

If you can get any new pictures of her, without causing her stress, I'd love to see one. :camera:
I will try to get a picture of her this weekend 😊

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

If she allows belly rubs with a toothbrush, it shoes that she's making an effort too. Next time if you sit next to her and she's belly up, try clenching your fist and let her smell and try doing the head bump thing with her. Once she starts rubbing her cheek against your fist, your next move is petting her but not at the instance of cheek rubbing. Let her do it over many times before you make your move.
I have held out my fist but if I get too close or if she is having an ‘off’ day she whacks me LOL So now I hold out the fist and very, very slowly move it slightly towards her. As soon as she becomes aware I hold still to let her get comfortable and then offer treats and praise. She is such a sweet brave girl to get this far.