Newly adopted Rescue

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello. I just want to encourage you to not be discouraged with Cece. You need to understand she is feral and the more feral she is the more time it may take to come around or reach a place of trust and cohabitation. CeCe may never be a lap cap or one of those cats that like to cuddle with you. So you need to not put that as your goal to reach. Yes, you want her to trust you and be comfortable about you, but it is important to met her on her terms, not yours. Look at every little improvement as a step closer to her being more comfortable around you. You could try the Feliway spray and calming chews as dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 mentioned, but it is a gamble. I only seen Feliway work on one of my house kitties, but not the rest. I have seen calmng treats work for some kitties and not others. Cece is a feral so it may not work on her, but you could still give it a try.

I am very pressed for time so I am attaching some helpful articles to this reply. I hope you can find some useful tips.

Helping a Shy, Scared Cat Gain Trust – Union Lake Pet Services
Stray Pet Advocacy
Interestingly, the author of the last article mentioned TCS and this very forum at the bottom of their article as a place to visit for advice. So you are in the right place. 🙂 BTW, was Cece checked out by a vet? You always want to rule out physical illness or conditions. Cats who are not well tend to hide and a feral will lay very low because on the streets they are vunable and if another cat picks up on any weakness; they may attack them. I take care of an outdoor colony and I see how it goes out there.

Well, I hope this will help you. Do not be discouraged. Remain hopeful and patient. Best of luck to you. 🙂

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thought I would update, feeling a bit down today with Cece. Ok, maybe a little more than than a bit. No additional progress from Cece, I have not removed the mattress as of yet. Today she was looking so relaxed and sweet when I went to give her some treats, she gets like that often. When I reached under the bed with the treats like I always do, she hissed and swiped my hand. 😟 I felt like crying, she looked so angry after looking so sweet just minutes before that. I was talking softly to her, moved slowly. I am really beginning to think that she will not come around, I am unable to touch her at all. Forget about any type of vet apoiintment, or tending to the knots she is getting in her fur. I truly feel at a loss here. I just don’t know what to do or where to turn. Sorry for the rant, I know you all understand my love for her and my frustration.
Hi ! I completely understand. It can be very difficult waiting and hoping things will get better. You just want so badly for them to trust you and know know much you care about them and just want to love them! I believe it will get better ! Both my girls are still scared and hide daily. One I’ve had for 14 months and the other 6 months . Everyday is a mix of emotions.they might let me pet them one minute and then quickly run away and hide the next 😩 They both are making progress but it is slow and inconsistent. I continue to track every little step . For example; Alina hopped on the bed with me , it did not last long, but it was huge !
It’s slow , but it will happen. You obviously care and she feels that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello. I just want to encourage you to not be discouraged with Cece. You need to understand she is feral and the more feral she is the more time it may take to come around or reach a place of trust and cohabitation. CeCe may never be a lap cap or one of those cats that like to cuddle with you. So you need to not put that as your goal to reach. Yes, you want her to trust you and be comfortable about you, but it is important to met her on her terms, not yours. Look at every little improvement as a step closer to her being more comfortable around you. You could try the Feliway spray and calming chews as dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 mentioned, but it is a gamble. I only seen Feliway work on one of my house kitties, but not the rest. I have seen calmng treats work for some kitties and not others. Cece is a feral so it may not work on her, but you could still give it a try.

I am very pressed for time so I am attaching some helpful articles to this reply. I hope you can find some useful tips.

Helping a Shy, Scared Cat Gain Trust – Union Lake Pet Services
Stray Pet Advocacy
Interestingly, the author of the last article mentioned TCS and this very forum at the bottom of their article as a place to visit for advice. So you are in the right place. 🙂 BTW, was Cece checked out by a vet? You always want to rule out physical illness or conditions. Cats who are not well tend to hide and a feral will lay very low because on the streets they are vunable and if another cat picks up on any weakness; they may attack them. I take care of an outdoor colony and I see how it goes out there.

Well, I hope this will help you. Do not be discouraged. Remain hopeful and patient. Best of luck to you. 🙂
Thank you for the ideas and encouragement. I will keep working on Cece’s trust, my main goal is to allow her to have a much better life than she did before. She is safe here. She has not been to the vet as I am unable to touch her at all. I have only pet her once when she got over stressed and hid in my room. After that it was business as usual, lol.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer:Thanks for rallying everyone.:touched:Jcatbird says what worked with her ferals was that she rubbed catnip on her shoes & clothes when she would go in the room with them, she suggests leaving the mattress in place for now and creating even more hidey holes for Cece. Jcatbird Jcatbird is otherwise occupied right now but will be here when she can, not sure when that will be since she has alot on her plate right now but asks I keep her updated which of course I will. You ought to check out her thread. The posts about beloved feral BJ early days inside may be especially helpful, rubysmama rubysmama would you please track down where they start and post a link here?
Meme for 2 Meme for 2 :hangin: and don't give up, we've got your back figuratively even if we can't have it literately. Rant all you need to, we've all been there :grouphug2: :grouphug::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::heartshape::rock::cheerleader::goldstar::bouquet::goodluck::wave2:

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm down too, so I empathize. Sometimes it seems insurmountable but the one constant in life is change. Cece is SAFE and well cared for, and loved by you. When you try to focus on these basic important good things, maybe it can change your thinking to the point that hopefully you'll feel a little less hopeless. Sometimes it helps to step back, take stock of the whole, know that these things ARE true, and just "let go" for awhile. Maybe watch or listen to something you love, something like that. Cece is okay. She's going to continue to be okay in your loving care. Know that. :hugs:
:grouphug::grouphug2::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::heartshape:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just so happens, that I book marked that page, when it happened, so link is right at my finger tips:
My Feral And Rescued Cats
(note: above link goes to the post where BJ came inside)
Thank you so much! I have started reading it, will continue to read and find new ideas to help my Cece. She is very cranky, hissed at me again this morning, so unlike her to act this way. Either she is feeling ‘off’ for some reason or maybe a health issue. I will keep an eye on her, just ordered some calming treats to try with her.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there any new noises or smells that may be bothering her?
I didn’t even think of this until you asked, but last weekend I closed her door for two days because I had to watch my sister’s 8 week old puppy. She is a tiny little chihuahua who is under 2 lbs. she was not near the room at all but I am sure that Cece must have gotten her scent. If that is what set her off it would make sense.
I have taken a step back and stopped reaching under the bed with treats to give her time to settle down. Although I brought a treat in there the other night and she was on top of the bed which is her usual nighttime routine, and she stayed there while I talked softly to her. I moved slowly and did not reach out with the treat, just placed it at the foot of the bed. No hissing and no running back under the bed.
The spare room she is in is small but I may be able to rearrange some things to move her kitty condo to the other side so it is not facing the door. She does not use it at all, there are two cubbies on it, but it could be she feels exposed facing the door. Trying to think of ways to give her more options since she only comes out at night.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I didn’t even think of this until you asked, but last weekend I closed her door for two days because I had to watch my sister’s 8 week old puppy. She is a tiny little chihuahua who is under 2 lbs. she was not near the room at all but I am sure that Cece must have gotten her scent. If that is what set her off it would make sense.
I have taken a step back and stopped reaching under the bed with treats to give her time to settle down. Although I brought a treat in there the other night and she was on top of the bed which is her usual nighttime routine, and she stayed there while I talked softly to her. I moved slowly and did not reach out with the treat, just placed it at the foot of the bed. No hissing and no running back under the bed.
The spare room she is in is small but I may be able to rearrange some things to move her kitty condo to the other side so it is not facing the door. She does not use it at all, there are two cubbies on it, but it could be she feels exposed facing the door. Trying to think of ways to give her more options since she only comes out at night.
You did the right thing by stepping back, sounds like almost immediate results. Gypsy won't stay in the the box on her cat tree and doesn't like lying in boxes she can't see over the edge of. Do you have any lower sided boxes, or lids such as paper box lids you could slide under the bed for Cece? She may have been scared by the sound and smell of the doggo, you probably smelled like doggo too and and the smell being brought into her room by you may have made you something scary. Smell is probably still out there and maybe your clothes. Will she venture onto the other rooms yet? Gypsy is terrified of the vaccuum ( I think someone did something bad to her with one prior to her finding us when she was 1 or 2) so I once tried to sit with her in the bedroom where she felt totally safe while her dad vacuumed the rest of the apartment. No matter how I tried to soothe her she sat hunched with the hairs along her spine in fear staring at the door as if she was waiting for it to open and the monster to come in to get her. I had him stop right away and for a long time one of us vacuumed while the other had her in harness outside. While she still disappears when she sees us picking it up, by taking it slow and knowing which hidey hole she had gone to ground to (and avoiding that room) we got her where she will come out fairly quickly after the noise stops and I can leave the vacuums assembled. At first she would hide just seeing one and would vanish for hours and hours after we had finished. We never tried to drag her out of her bolt holes and tried not to make a big deal out of it except lots of praise and treats once she reappeared. Cece may have been more scared by not being able to see the visitor. Jcatbird Jcatbird uses lattices as bedroom doors to keep kittys confined yet not isolated. Some folks use screen doors. Hang in there and don't be discouraged. If Cece won't eat calming treats, Gypsy won't, only the Thunderwunder calming gel in the tube and only about a 3rd of the reccomended dose. She doesn't like the feeling of being too far out of control and refused to take anymore one 4th of July. That was a real bad week or so. I definitely learned my lesson, nowhere near the amount mentioned on the instructions. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::catrub::heartshape::hangin:

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry I have not been here! You are getting lots of great tips. The catnip put in places where you want her to go, like the cat tree cubbies could help. It has worked wonders for me. It needs to be good catnip. The one my cats prefer actually comes from Dollar General! They don’t always have it in stock but it is a favorite now with every cat here. I also grow some myself in hanging baskets and every time I bring some inside, I have a flock of cats meet me at the door. Even my most timid and feral cat will come for that.
I haven’t had a chance to read the whole thread yet but you are doing great! You made progress! The little dog visitor probably did have an effect. Cats don’t love change. Any change unless it corrects something they don’t like. Lol moving the cat tree may be a welcomed change. Try not to get discouraged. It can be three steps forward and two back sometimes but over time we do gain ground.
The lattice on my doors has been very helpful. I tried many options before the lattice occurred to me. It is lightweight vinyl and easy to install as a second door without changing any existing door. I can close the regular door or just the lattice. It allows the cats to observe without feeling exposed.
You mention the vet. I use a carrier as a safe haven for every cat here. I call it their bedroom. Lol A favorite hiding spot and I leave a carrier open for each cat at all times. They love their rooms! I offer treats there, new toys appear there first, catnip inside (which they even eat!) a nice Blake to in there and brushing happens there for those who like brushing. Maybe feeding Cece there and sitting with your back turned to her would be a plus. Having your back turned says to her that you are ignoring her but, you are also keeping her company without being a threat. Getting her used to a carrier is huge! In future you can take her AND her safe haven to the vet. It will make things easier for her and for you. She will feel more secure and after an exam she can retreat to her carrier and know she is safe. It is much easier to catch her for a vet trip if she hides in her carrier! Lol Sneaky on our part but it will be of great benefit to her to have a mobile safe place. I am sure others have said it but give her all the time she needs to get used to coming out. Cats have their own clocks and time is very different for them. Pushing just pushes them away. Pursuit reminds them of predators. Encourage her to come to you. Laying on your back will be a sign to her that you are not pursuing. I often put food on me as I lay still on my back. Lol Let her eat undisturbed that way and see what happens. It may take many tries before she is willing and if she does not come then give her time to observe this before giving her the plate but keep up a routine of this and all you can with her. She will watch and learn.
I’ll be back as I can and I hope all the tips offered by everyone help you see some changes. You are a kitty guardian and a kitty hero! She knows.
Thank you rubysmama rubysmama and dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 for bringing this thread to my attention! I hope the kitties that came into my life can help.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the encouragement and reassurance! Your stories are truly amazing, you are an angel for all your kitties. I will try some of your great suggestions. One thing I might have been doing completely wrong is trying to reach my hand out with treats, under the bed. I see now that even though she tolerated it for the most part she must have felt I was invading her space. I will sit quietly with treats and food and let her come out for them. I definitely need better catnip, she does like it but I feel that she is not super excited for it. I gave her a calming treat last night and she did eat it. Hopefully it will help her to relax.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You did the right thing by stepping back, sounds like almost immediate results. Gypsy won't stay in the the box on her cat tree and doesn't like lying in boxes she can't see over the edge of. Do you have any lower sided boxes, or lids such as paper box lids you could slide under the bed for Cece? She may have been scared by the sound and smell of the doggo, you probably smelled like doggo too and and the smell being brought into her room by you may have made you something scary. Smell is probably still out there and maybe your clothes. Will she venture onto the other rooms yet? Gypsy is terrified of the vaccuum ( I think someone did something bad to her with one prior to her finding us when she was 1 or 2) so I once tried to sit with her in the bedroom where she felt totally safe while her dad vacuumed the rest of the apartment. No matter how I tried to soothe her she sat hunched with the hairs along her spine in fear staring at the door as if she was waiting for it to open and the monster to come in to get her. I had him stop right away and for a long time one of us vacuumed while the other had her in harness outside. While she still disappears when she sees us picking it up, by taking it slow and knowing which hidey hole she had gone to ground to (and avoiding that room) we got her where she will come out fairly quickly after the noise stops and I can leave the vacuums assembled. At first she would hide just seeing one and would vanish for hours and hours after we had finished. We never tried to drag her out of her bolt holes and tried not to make a big deal out of it except lots of praise and treats once she reappeared. Cece may have been more scared by not being able to see the visitor. Jcatbird Jcatbird uses lattices as bedroom doors to keep kittys confined yet not isolated. Some folks use screen doors. Hang in there and don't be discouraged. If Cece won't eat calming treats, Gypsy won't, only the Thunderwunder calming gel in the tube and only about a 3rd of the reccomended dose. She doesn't like the feeling of being too far out of control and refused to take anymore one 4th of July. That was a real bad week or so. I definitely learned my lesson, nowhere near the amount mentioned on the instructions. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::catrub::heartshape::hangin:
Good to know about Gyosy not wanting to feel out of control! Yesterday Cece ate the calming treat and I just let her be. I didn’t want her to think that with her guard down she would be pursued. I am starting to look at everything I do and make sure it isn’t being looked at as something threatening. I am hoping some of the little changes to her room will help her. Her happiness is my goal.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Short update - I ordered some calming treats (Vetriscience) and started Cece on them Saturday. She eats them willingly, she has had one each day. I have not tried to interract with her much as I didn’t want her to feel threatened if they are relaxing her, so not sure if they are doing anything yet. Will do this all week and then see how she is with me sitting near the bed with some chicken baby food to see if she will move towards it.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Short update - I ordered some calming treats (Vetriscience) and started Cece on them Saturday. She eats them willingly, she has had one each day. I have not tried to interract with her much as I didn’t want her to feel threatened if they are relaxing her, so not sure if they are doing anything yet. Will do this all week and then see how she is with me sitting near the bed with some chicken baby food to see if she will move towards it.
You can be with her as much as you can. It'll be best if you are present as she needs you more than ever because you are the one she trust. You won't be threatening her with your presence. She needs you. Her trust and bond with you must not be broken.

You don't have to pet her, if you can, would be good but just staying with her, speaking calmly with her will reassure her rather than leaving her to the treats to do the work. Treats and you goes along together.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can be with her as much as you can. It'll be best if you are present as she needs you more than ever because you are the one she trust. You won't be threatening her with your presence. She needs you. Her trust and bond with you must not be broken.

You don't have to pet her, if you can, would be good but just staying with her, speaking calmly with her will reassure her rather than leaving her to the treats to do the work. Treats and you goes along together.
That makes sense, she is definitely used to me as I am always talking to her and sitting in there. She sometimes gets that relaxed sleepy-eyed look on her face when I talk to her, melts my heart when she does that.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That makes sense, she is definitely used to me as I am always talking to her and sitting in there. She sometimes gets that relaxed sleepy-eyed look on her face when I talk to her, melts my heart when she does that.
Yes, if you just give her calming treats and leave her alone, she'll feel deserted by you and thus, your presence is very important to her.

Whenever you are in the room with her, talk to her and toss a toy to her and encourage her to play even if she is not interested in playing. She just need interactions call the time. Just observe how she interacts with you. It could be the eyes or tail or body movements or ears as she response to you.

You are the real calming treat.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some have asked for a picture of Cece, I decided to take a short video of her. Currently she is not eating well so I am keeping close watch on her and trying to figure how to get her so I can bring her to the vet.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have given my feral cats baby food (that only has meat and broth ngredients in it). It is easy on their stomach and has some nutrition. It should only be used in the short term till CeCe feels better. i have put Bonito flakes on cat food to entice cats to eat. I used it in cases where the cat has a cold and need to be enticed to eat. In the case of a cold you have to make the cat food extra stinky (fishy) for cats to smell it and eat it it. Cats will not eat what they can''t smell.

Most people dealing with difficult to trap cats usually rounf them up in to the bathroom and then work on trapping from there (wear protective gloves and clothing). Since CeCe is still very feral, you may have to use a trap in your house. Line the trap with newspaper and put an enticing food on it and put the trap in a place CeCe frequents. I have had success in the past with this and failure with one case not too long ago that was impossible (the cat wouldn't step foot anywhere near the trap). The cat was too trap wise and just kept hiding under my couch. Thankful, that cat is okay now.

Well I hope you are able to get CeCe to the vet soon. I wish you the best of luck.🤞🙂