Newly adopted Rescue

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ok my friends, I have a potential dilemma here. We have had CeCe for 3 1/2 months now, and although she has made a lot of progress she still shows no signs of coming out from under the bed or allowing me to touch her.
Recently the crime rate where I live has gone through the roof. Two days ago my car was stolen right from the parking lot, this is the 6th car crime in a week here. so, we are looking to move on Oct 1st to a much better area. We will only move to a pet friendly place but I now have just under 3 months to figure out how I am going to be able to handle my poor girl to move her.
Do I kick up a notch and remove the bed to prevent her hiding under it so she can get used to being out? I know all of this will set the poor girl back regardless, but I want to try and cause the least amount of stress when we have to handle her to put her in a carrier and then move her to a new home.
Any advice would really be appreciated.
Oh dear, so sorry to hear that your car was stolen :(

Think from now on, you have to have more interactions with CeCe. Remove more of the hiding place and leave a carrier with her. Let her get use to the carrier.
Remove bit by bit and not all at once as not to set her back too much. Let her use the carrier as her bedding or at least try to get her scents in it.

Before you move her to the new home, have her blankets/towels with her scents on it and also your clean unwashed non perfumed attires and leave them in the new room where she'll going to be so that there'll be familiar scents to help her settle down.

Hope it'll be an easy transition for her.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wondering how you and Miss CeCe are doing, Meme for 2 Meme for 2 .
Awww you are so sweet ☺ We are soing the same, very small steps forward. She likes to go on the bed at night in the spare room, after we settle down for the night. Normally if I get up and pass by the room she will scoot down and under the bed immediately. The other night not only did she stay there but I went in the room to get her clean water and some dry food and she didn’t jump down. I talked softly to her and snuck a few treats at the foot of the bed. Came back past the room and she had not jumped down. Big step for her. She purrs a lot when I am in there too, she is getting comfortable.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww you are so sweet ☺ We are soing the same, very small steps forward. She likes to go on the bed at night in the spare room, after we settle down for the night. Normally if I get up and pass by the room she will scoot down and under the bed immediately. The other night not only did she stay there but I went in the room to get her clean water and some dry food and she didn’t jump down. I talked softly to her and snuck a few treats at the foot of the bed. Came back past the room and she had not jumped down. Big step for her. She purrs a lot when I am in there too, she is getting comfortable.
:catlove: :clap::clap2::touched::hangin:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Wonderful to hear this!

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Meme for 2 Meme for 2 ,

Any updates on Cece?
Very small baby steps. She is starting to move around during the day while under the bed where before she would stay only in one spot. She purrs all the time! Still won’t let me touch her but I also don’t push on that. My biggest concern are her nails, she will not use any of the scratchers we got her, there are 4 different kinds in there and her nails are super long. She gets caught when trying to walk.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can certainly be persnickety reguarding scratchers! Gypsy won't use any of the cutesy shaped cardboard ones. She likes the large flat rectangular ones (Chewy has the best prices on them
20220815_130656.jpg

we just put the refills out on their own) The smaller narrower ones which hang from a doorknob (I have to use double faced tape to attach them to the door so they don't bounce when she scratches them)
20220815_130740.jpg
and a small tower one she loved, totally destroying it (I picked it it up somewhere very cheaply and have absolutely no idea where and can't locate another one!)
20220815_132325.jpg
20220815_132310.jpg
Occasionally she will scratch on her tall sistil vertical tower
20220815_132348.jpg
and numerous flat small carpet pieces
20220815_132404.jpg
Outside she will scratch on trees, pieces of logs and large sticks lying on the ground. She likes the sistil wrapped posts on her cat tree.
20220815_132431.jpg
20220815_132417.jpg

(I need to rewrap)
If you can find a clean piece of wood outside you might try bring it in for her or an untreated chunk of firewood. Cats not only purr when they are happy but also to calm themselves. Gypsy doesn't like boxes she can't see out of. At first the only way she would allow us to massage and love on her would be in a low box or box top on the bed. Brushing and combing her bonded us all but at first only in her box top. She still isn't what could be called a lap cat but loves being loved on her terms (when she comes to us or when we prove our love by going to her even when she is lying close) which of course we do. She has us well trained.
20220815_134429.jpg
20220815_134505.jpg

Please excuse the mess we have just moved and aren't unpacked yet. Hang in there, keep us updated and post photos if she doesn't get stressed at the camera. You're doing great. :hearthrob: :touched: :catlove: :vibes: :heartshape:

Last edited:

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions, I will see if I can find some wood to add to the collection for Cece. Besides her nails yesterday I noticed a small knot forming on her backside, her fur is very long and fine. I tried to gently reach out hoping to get a feel for it but as soon as my hand got close to her she swiped at me.
It breaks my heart that she is just existing under the bed, I keep trying to think of things that might help her at least come out during the day but that doesn’t happen except to eat or use her litter box. I try every day to gently play with her toys, since I know she plays at night. She has no interest in her laser light.
Each day I look for signs that something I am doing just ‘clicks’ with her. There are days when she is looking at me and has the sweetest relaxed face and posture, it is so hard not to reach out to pet her. I don’t want her to think that if she lets her guard down thatshe is vulnerable so I just soend time trying to get her to interract. I will keep trying to find ways to help her relax and feel safe and hopefully soon so I can tend to her nails and any knots she has developed.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It breaks my heart that she is just existing under the bed, I keep trying to think of things that might help her at least come out during the day but that doesn’t happen except to eat or use her litter box.
I wonder if it's time to move the mattress off the bed frame so she can't hide under there all the time? :dunno:

Of course, before you did that, you'd have to set up other hidey place for her, but things like a cardboard box, or her carrier covered with a blanket, would at least let you get closer to her.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it's time to move the mattress off the bed frame so she can't hide under there all the time? :dunno:

Of course, before you did that, you'd have to set up other hidey place for her, but things like a cardboard box, or her carrier covered with a blanket, would at least let you get closer to her.
I was thinking the same thing, I do have other things for her, she has a big cat condo with 2 cubbies that have two openings so she wouldn’t feel trapped. I also have a stand alone bigger cubby that is closed on 3 sides. Such a hard decision, I want her to feel safe, but I also want to be able to tend to her. Some days I tell myself to give her more time, it has only been 5 months. Then other days I say it is time for her to come out. The Mom in me wants to protect and love her☺

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thought I would update, feeling a bit down today with Cece. Ok, maybe a little more than than a bit. No additional progress from Cece, I have not removed the mattress as of yet. Today she was looking so relaxed and sweet when I went to give her some treats, she gets like that often. When I reached under the bed with the treats like I always do, she hissed and swiped my hand. 😟 I felt like crying, she looked so angry after looking so sweet just minutes before that. I was talking softly to her, moved slowly. I am really beginning to think that she will not come around, I am unable to touch her at all. Forget about any type of vet apoiintment, or tending to the knots she is getting in her fur. I truly feel at a loss here. I just don’t know what to do or where to turn. Sorry for the rant, I know you all understand my love for her and my frustration.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear! So sorry to hear! Seems she was scared and felt you were invading her space. Have you tried Feliway or calming chews? We use this around July 4th:Thunderwunder cat calming paw gel, they suggest putting it on their paws to be licked off. Gypsy licks it from my finger, you could try putting it on a plate. It doesn't take much. Thunderwunder also makes chews. Don't be discourged and don't give up. Jcatbird Jcatbird , Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose do you have any suggestions to help poor Cece?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 . Well, Meme for 2 Meme for 2 , it seems you're doing all the right things and yes, five months is a long time but as with so many things we go through, each is an individual and each will deal with things individually, in our own time. Keep doing what you're doing. Never give up. Cece is at least safe with you, has regular food and water, and has access to love and kindness. There is not a need to do more. Love and patience are key. She will come out in her own time, at her own pace, and in her own way.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the encouragement. Today I just feel like crying for some reason. I want to be able to comfort her and show her love so badly. I tiptoe about everything when it comes to Cece, just to not upset her. I will continue on and pick up some calming chews to try or the gel mentioned. I do have feliway plugged in but it isn’t doing much from what I can tell. I am so sorry for being down, I just needed to vent a bit.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the encouragement. Today I just feel like crying for some reason. I want to be able to comfort her and show her love so badly. I tiptoe about everything when it comes to Cece, just to not upset her. I will continue on and pick up some calming chews to try or the gel mentioned. I do have feliway plugged in but it isn’t doing much from what I can tell. I am so sorry for being down, I just needed to vent a bit.
I'm down too, so I empathize. Sometimes it seems insurmountable but the one constant in life is change. Cece is SAFE and well cared for, and loved by you. When you try to focus on these basic important good things, maybe it can change your thinking to the point that hopefully you'll feel a little less hopeless. Sometimes it helps to step back, take stock of the whole, know that these things ARE true, and just "let go" for awhile. Maybe watch or listen to something you love, something like that. Cece is okay. She's going to continue to be okay in your loving care. Know that. :hugs: