Newly adopted Rescue

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a flat cardboard scratcher yesterday, hoping she will try it. Her cat condo has the rope and the carpet posts that she doesn’t use. I put some treats on the new one for her and she ate them during the night. I also sprinkled some catnip on it so maybe she would scratch for it.
Gypsy ignores the rope and non-sistal on her cat tree too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I consider this morning a huge win! I found out more information about CeCe last night, before she was bullied by the other cats where she was living she used to lay on the back of the couch, fully relaxed. So she definitely wasn’t always hiding. This morning I decided when feeding her to lay down by the door, facing her with my eyes almost shut. She watched me for a few minutes, then came out to eat with me right there. At first she was eating fast but as she sensed I wasn’t going to make any move toward her she slowed down and I quietly praised her. When she was done she slowly slinked back under the bed but sat there grooming herself. This is the first time I have seen her grooming. She is starting to trust me and now I will be extra careful not to break that trust!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I consider this morning a huge win! I found out more information about CeCe last night, before she was bullied by the other cats where she was living she used to lay on the back of the couch, fully relaxed. So she definitely wasn’t always hiding. This morning I decided when feeding her to lay down by the door, facing her with my eyes almost shut. She watched me for a few minutes, then came out to eat with me right there. At first she was eating fast but as she sensed I wasn’t going to make any move toward her she slowed down and I quietly praised her. When she was done she slowly slinked back under the bed but sat there grooming herself. This is the first time I have seen her grooming. She is starting to trust me and now I will be extra careful not to break that trust!
That's wonderful to hear! :clapcat: She needs lots of assurance and don't stop giving her that.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That was a huge win. You are doing so well with her. She could have have asked for a better human to adopt her. :petcat::hearthrob:
Awww thank you so much! I am the Mom, Auntie, MiMi who wants to love everyone, CeCe has stolen my heart because she really needs some love even if from a distance. You all have helped me tremendously!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww thank you so much! I am the Mom, Auntie, MiMi who wants to love everyone, CeCe has stolen my heart because she really needs some love even if from a distance. You all have helped me tremendously!
Glad we're here to help you, albeit just virtually. Every so often there's a cat here on the forums that steals a part of my heart, and CeCe is the latest. I'm loving following her progress, and cannot wait till the day you post that she rubbed up against you, or napped in your lap. That may still be a while away, but I'm confident with your love and patience, it will happen. :hearthrob:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Glad we're here to help you, albeit just virtually. Every so often there's a cat here on the forums that steals a part of my heart, and CeCe is the latest. I'm loving following her progress, and cannot wait till the day you post that she rubbed up against you, or napped in your lap. That may still be a while away, but I'm confident with your love and patience, it will happen. :hearthrob:
:hearthrob: :yeah::hearthrob::grouphug2::grouphug::clap2::clap::cheerleader::vibes::vibes::vibes::goldstar::goodluck::hangin::touched:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Any chance you could get a couch or even a comfy chair with a wide back in there for her?

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing a great job, don't get discouraged if a backslide should happen. Cats don't come with instruction books and mistakes will happen just don't let them get to you too much :touched: :catrub:

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
CeCe seems to go in spurts. She will start making progress then get stale mated. Ever since she swatted at me I noticed she hangs out on the other side of under the bed, but 2 mornings in a row now she came out to eat when I was lying by the door. I think she is getting bored with the baby food so might take a break from it for a bit. She loves treats but won’t cone forward for them. I will keep trying to figure out ways to get her to open up more, she is so darn cute. But she still loves when I lay my head down, she will almost always imitate me and lay hers down. Our special nap time☺

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
CeCe seems to go in spurts. She will start making progress then get stale mated. Ever since she swatted at me I noticed she hangs out on the other side of under the bed, but 2 mornings in a row now she came out to eat when I was lying by the door. I think she is getting bored with the baby food so might take a break from it for a bit. She loves treats but won’t cone forward for them. I will keep trying to figure out ways to get her to open up more, she is so darn cute. But she still loves when I lay my head down, she will almost always imitate me and lay hers down. Our special nap time☺
I guess it could be just that her character is such. Maybe she is more of the laid back type. But no harm trying other ways to get her interested in coming out. Probably she still needs more time.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But she still loves when I lay my head down, she will almost always imitate me and lay hers down. Our special nap time☺
Awww.... that's so precious. :catlove:

I thought of you when I read something one of our most successful cat rescuers posted about socializing ferals.

"Main thing…. Never give up! Remain patient and love. It works."

That is one sentence out of a long post that she wrote with lots of suggestions that you might find helpful.
It's at this link: My Feral And Rescued Cats

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just when I think our CeCe is stale mated she does something new. Today I had to work at the office and when I came home and went to feed her, I layed on the floor to give her the baby food and thought ‘what is that noise?’ She was purring so softly and then it got louder and louder as I talked to her☺ Oh my heart wanted to burst! She just kept on going, it was so sweet to hear it!

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, after posting that positive update, I was sitting here thinking and would love some honest opinions. Do you think I might be ‘enabling’ CeCe to stay under the bed by always laying alongside it to interact with her? She definitely used to lounge out in the open at her other home before the cats scared her into hiding, so I don’t believe she is meant to always hide forever. Someone suggested here recently that I shoukd maybe just sit in the room and as hard as it is not to want to interact with her, do you think I should back off and see if she will seek me out? She truly knows my voice now and is slowly learning to trust me a bit. I want to do what is right for her, not what I want to do. I am putting so much effort into getting her used to me that maybe she will sort of miss me if I am not laying there near her. So hard to know what is right, hoping you all can give me your thoughts on this.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Just when I think our CeCe is stale mated she does something new. Today I had to work at the office and when I came home and went to feed her, I layed on the floor to give her the baby food and thought ‘what is that noise?’ She was purring so softly and then it got louder and louder as I talked to her☺ Oh my heart wanted to burst! She just kept on going, it was so sweet to hear it!
That's great to hear! :clapcat:

So, after posting that positive update, I was sitting here thinking and would love some honest opinions. Do you think I might be ‘enabling’ CeCe to stay under the bed by always laying alongside it to interact with her? She definitely used to lounge out in the open at her other home before the cats scared her into hiding, so I don’t believe she is meant to always hide forever. Someone suggested here recently that I shoukd maybe just sit in the room and as hard as it is not to want to interact with her, do you think I should back off and see if she will seek me out? She truly knows my voice now and is slowly learning to trust me a bit. I want to do what is right for her, not what I want to do. I am putting so much effort into getting her used to me that maybe she will sort of miss me if I am not laying there near her. So hard to know what is right, hoping you all can give me your thoughts on this.
Continue to do what you are doing. Let her gain more trust in you. Her purring is a very good sign.

You still can lay alongside with her but each time you do that, move a little further away from her each time so as to draw her out. This way will help her gain more space while you are in the room and at the same time gaining more confidence. Also if you can make that under the bed space smaller so that she won't be deep inside.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's great to hear! :clapcat:

Continue to do what you are doing. Let her gain more trust in you. Her purring is a very good sign.

You still can lay alongside with her but each time you do that, move a little further away from her each time so as to draw her out. This way will help her gain more space while you are in the room and at the same time gaining more confidence. Also if you can make that under the bed space smaller so that she won't be deep inside.
Thank you for the feedback! I will see if there is something I can use to make that space smaller. It is a challenge because the bed frame in that room is just a metal frame with bars that go in different directions so not much fits under there. Or if it does it leaves room for her to find a good hidey space 😂

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the feedback! I will see if there is something I can use to make that space smaller. It is a challenge because the bed frame in that room is just a metal frame with bars that go in different directions so not much fits under there. Or if it does it leaves room for her to find a good hidey space 😂
You can use blankets or pillows to stuff under the bed to make the space smaller. Try Inaba Churus and Sheba meat sticks to lure her near, Gypsy doesn't like baby food but loves the churus & meat sticks, when she hears the crinkle of the sticks package she comes running. What cat food is CeCe eating?

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Awww.... that's so precious. :catlove:

I thought of you when I read something one of our most successful cat rescuers posted about socializing ferals.

"Main thing…. Never give up! Remain patient and love. It works."

That is one sentence out of a long post that she wrote with lots of suggestions that you might find helpful.
It's at this link: My Feral And Rescued Cats
Yes definitely read, and comment if you care to, @Jcatbirds My Feral and Rescued Cats. Maybe too daunting to start at the beginning at first so jump in and check out some of the newer ones, you'll see us there too. It's a very welcoming thread. You are a very wonderful person.:touched::hearthrob::redheartpump::grouphug2::hangin::goodluck: