Newly adopted Rescue

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so close to happy tears right now! The store was out of baby food so mu husband picked up the lickable treats for cats and I used just a tiny bit of it on a long spoon. Five minutes of slowly creeping my arm closer to her and waiting and all of a sudden she starts nidging the spoon and licked it off! This is the first interaction with her, I am over the moon excited!
Excellent update. :woohoo:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
And she did it again this morning!! So happy, will keep doing this and taking it slow, every step is a bonus☺
:clap: She is picking up on your happiness :jive: Yes every step a bonus. If, at any time, she backslides don't make a big deal of it, stay calm and carry on, your instincts are on track:catrub:😽

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:clap: She is picking up on your happiness :jive: Yes every step a bonus. If, at any time, she backslides don't make a big deal of it, stay calm and carry on, your instincts are on track:catrub:😽
She definitely didn’t want to interract tonight but I sat and talked to her and played with her toys. I could see that she was tense so I didn’t want to push her. After sitting with her for a while I set up her cotton cloth with some catnip and treats and said goodnight to her. Tomorrow is another day and hopefully Miss Grouchy will get some rest🤣

KathyJB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a great feeling when you make a little progress! Even the tiniest step in the right direction feels like a giant leap! I continue to see improvement with my Heidi every day. Last night she started playing with a new toy that's been in her room for a few days. Whee!

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nothing new going on, CeCe only took the treat from the spoon the 2 times. She is back to being a statue when I try to give it to her😟. I am trying so hard to think of what more I can do to help her relax. I can get pretty close to her and she never runs from me but maybe she thinks she is well hidden. I don’t ever try to touch her, I out some of the treat paste on my knuckle today and just held it out. She was hiding under the pillows. She stayed still but when I moved my fist away she backed up further into the pillows. I will keep on reading for ideas and keep up her routine for now.

KathyJB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a TV in the room where our Heidi is holed up. I've moved on from spoon-feeding her, but throughout the time we've had her - almost 14 weeks now - I would play a YouTube video titled David Teie - Music for Cats. You can read up on Google about how the music came to be composed and how it's been received by veterinary clinics, etc. It's meant to calm and relax your cat, but it's not bad for humans, either! The video has a few still images, but the music is the important part. The one I found on YT lasts 10 hours. I was playing it the day Heidi surprised me by coming out to head butt my knee - something I was not expecting, ever! I don't know if it made a difference, but it couldn't have hurt. I keep the volume pretty low so as not to frighten her.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a TV in the room where our Heidi is holed up. I've moved on from spoon-feeding her, but throughout the time we've had her - almost 14 weeks now - I would play a YouTube video titled David Teie - Music for Cats. You can read up on Google about how the music came to be composed and how it's been received by veterinary clinics, etc. It's meant to calm and relax your cat, but it's not bad for humans, either! The video has a few still images, but the music is the important part. The one I found on YT lasts 10 hours. I was playing it the day Heidi surprised me by coming out to head butt my knee - something I was not expecting, ever! I don't know if it made a difference, but it couldn't have hurt. I keep the volume pretty low so as not to frighten her.
Yes, I was able to find that video and have played it a fee times but she seems to necome more nervous. I had it very low, but maybe I should try it again?

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
CeCe had decided that the chicken baby food (no onions or garlic in ingredients) is indeed the best treat ever! She takes it off the spoon very quickly. This morning I was holding the spoon a little ways away from her so I could move it towards her slowly but she decided I was too slow and finally came towards it! This right here is absolutely huge for her, I am so proud of her knowing her fear level, she overcame it for a minute. Love seeing her show signs of relaxing here. Praised her quietly so I wouldn’t spook her, I am very excited. Will continue working with her slow and steady, keeping a routine.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
CeCe had decided that the chicken baby food (no onions or garlic in ingredients) is indeed the best treat ever! She takes it off the spoon very quickly. This morning I was holding the spoon a little ways away from her so I could move it towards her slowly but she decided I was too slow and finally came towards it! This right here is absolutely huge for her, I am so proud of her knowing her fear level, she overcame it for a minute. Love seeing her show signs of relaxing here. Praised her quietly so I wouldn’t spook her, I am very excited. Will continue working with her slow and steady, keeping a routine.
:heartshape: :clap::cheerleader::jive::dance:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing new going on, CeCe only took the treat from the spoon the 2 times. She is back to being a statue when I try to give it to her😟. I am trying so hard to think of what more I can do to help her relax. I can get pretty close to her and she never runs from me but maybe she thinks she is well hidden. I don’t ever try to touch her, I out some of the treat paste on my knuckle today and just held it out. She was hiding under the pillows. She stayed still but when I moved my fist away she backed up further into the pillows. I will keep on reading for ideas and keep up her routine for now.
A fist may have been used to hurt her in the past, maybe try again using a fingertip?😽

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
IMG_3321.GIF
IMG_3156.GIF

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wonderful update. Made my morning! :hearthrob::hearthrob::hearthrob:

KathyJB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This made my morning, too -- it was the first thing I saw when I got up. I know the feeling, having experienced it a few short weeks ago myself. I quickly went from long spoon to holding a demitasse spoon in my hand, and having her lick from my finger. I am really pleased for the both of you! Keep up the good work!

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This made my morning, too -- it was the first thing I saw when I got up. I know the feeling, having experienced it a few short weeks ago myself. I quickly went from long spoon to holding a demitasse spoon in my hand, and having her lick from my finger. I am really pleased for the both of you! Keep up the good work!
I am just so super excited, after she had her spoon treat and then breakfast, I stopped in the room and she was actually relaxing, one leg out in front, eyes all squinty and not looking at me wide eyed. She is so adorable and the motherly nature in me wants her to feel loved so I am glad she is showing progress☺ This group keeps me going, you are all so amazing and encouraging.

KathyJB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am just so super excited, after she had her spoon treat and then breakfast, I stopped in the room and she was actually relaxing, one leg out in front, eyes all squinty and not looking at me wide eyed. She is so adorable and the motherly nature in me wants her to feel loved so I am glad she is showing progress☺ This group keeps me going, you are all so amazing and encouraging.
I feel as though you are just a couple of weeks behind me in progress. So many things you mention are similar to my own experience. I would peer into Heidi's room, announcing myself first, and see her sitting on top of a tall box in her room. Often she'd be splayed out, seemingly relaxed, with a leg hanging down. But as soon as I stepped into the room, she would hop down and retreat to her secure corner. Last week I took it as another milestone that I can now come completely into the room and walk up to her, wherever she might be - and she doesn't try to leave! I placed an old tea towel on the box - something I can easily remove for washing, replacing it with a towel or whatever in the meantime. I'm glad she doesn't have any ideas about knocking things off of tables!

PXL_20220510_153108586.jpg

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel as though you are just a couple of weeks behind me in progress. So many things you mention are similar to my own experience. I would peer into Heidi's room, announcing myself first, and see her sitting on top of a tall box in her room. Often she'd be splayed out, seemingly relaxed, with a leg hanging down. But as soon as I stepped into the room, she would hop down and retreat to her secure corner. Last week I took it as another milestone that I can now come completely into the room and walk up to her, wherever she might be - and she doesn't try to leave! I placed an old tea towel on the box - something I can easily remove for washing, replacing it with a towel or whatever in the meantime. I'm glad she doesn't have any ideas about knocking things off of tables!

View attachment 419891
I do feel like I am a bit closer, although CeCe as of yet does not come out during the day. Only to quickly eat but if she hears me coming she scurries before I get to the room. Seeing her actually move willingly today was huge for her. I felt like a Momma watching her baby take those first steps LOL.