Newly adopted Rescue

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's the only pet, right? If so, and if the house is cat proofed, might be worth a try. She still might stay hidden during the days, but at least she'd get a better glimpse of what goes on outside her room. You know, sounds, smells, just general activity, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's the only pet, right? If so, and if the house is cat proofed, might be worth a try. She still might stay hidden during the days, but at least she'd get a better glimpse of what goes on outside her room. You know, sounds, smells, just general activity, etc.
Yes she is the only pet and our apartment is not very large, no place here for her to get stuck or get into anything since it is only my husband and I. I will try opening the door for her and see how she does, I will watch for any signs that she is more stressed with it open. She lets me put treats right in front of her in her cubby so I have doing that periodically and just playing with the treat in front of her so she can maybe associate my hands with something good☺

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
About 2 months ago I was asked to take in a 5 year old TNRed feral whom someone had tried to kill. She looks identical to your cat. I put her in a bathroom with the door closed, then rigged open a little bit like Jackson Galaxy suggests, then finally opened the door. She does allow me to touch her and pick her up, (I had been providing food for her when she was outside) and at night she sneaks on the bed next to me. She never leaves the bathroom except to get on the bed at night. She could roam the entire house if she wanted, but seems to have claimed that room as her own, which may not be a mystery after her previous outdoor life. In fact, if I remove her from the bathroom during the day and put her on one of the cat perches in the bedroom, she hisses and runs right back to her bed in the bathroom. I had another feral years ago who did the same thing. Stayed in the spare bedroom I gave her for three years, until she passed on. Try opening the door and see what happens, especially since your house is safe for a cat.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the support, I have the Feliway Optimum plugged in, so far hasn’t made much difference. Feeling a bit discouraged this morning, think it is overwhelming me. I think of her all day and feel so bad that she is like a statue all the time. She had no life until dark which is probably common in this situation. I feel like I am not knowledgable or experienced enough to help her😟. I have never had a cat like her, I even tamed a feral once that eventually loved us, she always lived outside but would come running to us when she saw us. CeCe seems to be so far behind where that other cat was even in the beginning. I have a small cloth bin where I store her litter box scooper in a plastic baggie, last night she climbed in the bin and peed in it on too of the baggie. Not sure what that was all about.
I'd you store the litter scoop in this bin it probably smells like pee. So she's thinking " I should pee here" kind of like putting a signup for a toilet. Plastic holds odour and the "toilet sign" has probably been absorbed into it. I would put it in an inaccessible location like a closet or wherever you keep your diaper pail (place you put dirty clumps till garbage day). if possible.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if I've already posted this or not, but here's a TCS article on How To Help An Abused Cat Recover – TheCatSite Articles that might have some tips for you.

Other things, "announce" yourself when you're about to enter her room. Say her name, and something like, "it's mommy", or whatever you'll be referring to yourself as.

Is the room quiet all the time, or can you have music playing, or radio, or something..

Try "patting" her with a sock stuck to the end of a long ruler, something similar. So she can learn touching her won't hurt her.

When you sit in the room with her, try sitting with your back to her. When you do look at her, don't stare her in the eyes, or if you do, do the slow blink thing, so she knows you're not a threat.

She really is a sensitive little kitty, and it's clearly going to take time to gain her trust. But I know when you do, it will be so rewarding. :catlove:
Totally excellent suggestions😻
Gypsy had been the neighborhood stray when she decided to allow us to become her beloved minions 5 yrs ago. We bonded outside for several weeks, she loved to be brushed (still does). When she came in she instantly used her litterbox but didn't know how to play. Her 1st toy was a shoe string on a window shade wand and the 2nd was a furry mouse in a Santa hat that squeaked when she batted it.We left night lites on in the living room where she slept (she sleeps on our bed now )and in the kitchen where her food was ( is) and left the tv on for her when we left (still do). She still isn't a lap cat but when she is in one of her many box lids scattered around the house we can love and kiss on her head, she kisses our noses. We can massage her everywhere from her nose to her toes and she plays games with us with her tail. She won't use soft fluffy beds, doesn't really care for catnip, except for the skitter kittys brand small mice.
She will hop in a box for a few mintues but then that's it. She doesn't like human tuna unless it's been made into tuna salad, will drink the tuna water though. She loves her cat tree and looking out our 2nd story windows, level with the wire squirrel highways. I discovered TCS when I was researching how to deal with an indoor kitty and have been here ever since. You are doing great, just remember each cat has its own timetable and stay patient with her.😽

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Totally excellent suggestions😻
Gypsy had been the neighborhood stray when she decided to allow us to become her beloved minions 5 yrs ago. We bonded outside for several weeks, she loved to be brushed (still does). When she came in she instantly used her litterbox but didn't know how to play. Her 1st toy was a shoe string on a window shade wand and the 2nd was a furry mouse in a Santa hat that squeaked when she batted it.We left night lites on in the living room where she slept (she sleeps on our bed now )and in the kitchen where her food was ( is) and left the tv on for her when we left (still do). She still isn't a lap cat but when she is in one of her many box lids scattered around the house we can love and kiss on her head, she kisses our noses. We can massage her everywhere from her nose to her toes and she plays games with us with her tail. She won't use soft fluffy beds, doesn't really care for catnip, except for the skitter kittys brand small mice.
She will hop in a box for a few mintues but then that's it. She doesn't like human tuna unless it's been made into tuna salad, will drink the tuna water though. She loves her cat tree and looking out our 2nd story windows, level with the wire squirrel highways. I discovered TCS when I was researching how to deal with an indoor kitty and have been here ever since. You are doing great, just remember each cat has its own timetable and stay patient with her.😽
Thank you so much for sharing your story! Gives me hope for our CeCe. The one positive I keep focusing on is that she does not run away when she sees us even though she is either under the bed or in her cubby. She will allow me to crawl very near her on my belly and just wearily watches me as I talk to her and play with her toys and show her some treats. She is so adorable and I will keep trying to win her over as much as she will allow.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes she is the only pet and our apartment is not very large, no place here for her to get stuck or get into anything since it is only my husband and I.
Oh, then this is good. It'll be easier for her and for yourself. Yes, just like what fionasmom fionasmom mentioned, leave the door open and let her hear the sounds outside and let her curiosity venture out.

Just get her toys and stuffs with her scents on them and scatter around the house. So when she comes out, there's familiar scents. Let her come out on her own. Whether she comes out or not, it doesn't matter. by opening the door is to let her know that there's more space for her and it's hers. Also leave the door open so that if she ever comes out of the room and wander around the house and get freaked out by sounds and other things, she can run back to the room as this will be her safe room.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
We keep a shoe in the bedroom doorway so the door can't accidently close, bathroom door I taped a sponge in the top hinge so it won't close completly, Gypsy keeps us company when we're in there also she has one of her water bowls on the sink. The wind can slam the bedroom door so I put a heavy book on the floor in front of it to keep it completely open when windows are open.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
You might try these Sheba meat sticks. Just break off a piece and leave it out for her to discover, the Salmon is pretty stinky (cats love stinky) Gypsy will ignore treats outside on her leash (inside is a another story) but a crinkle of the package and she comes running to me. She loves both the chicken and salmon she will even sit up for a piece. Be careful when you feed by hand until CeCe can tell a piece of meat stick from fingers. Walmart carries them. 20220503_114242.jpg 20220503_114221.jpg
Inside treats are Greenies, the Hair and Skin formula I order online since I can't find them in stores. 20220503_114304.jpg
and of course the irresistible Temptations, which are in lots of stores in lots of flavors 20220503_114647.jpg
She adores these Inaba Churu 20220503_114344.jpg she gets one daily mixed with her preboitic/probiotic 20220503_115616.jpg . The Churu have a high moisture content and are great for hydration especially in the summer. I order them online since I can't find them in stores.
These are the skitter mice I mentioned earlier. Walmart carries them. 20220503_115409.jpg
Online I use Chewy or Amazon.
You are doing fine just try not to fret so much since she will sense your stess and it will make her anxious. Try to relax and concentrate on how far she has come and how much better her life is and will continue to be. 😽💝

Last edited:

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might try these Sheba meat sticks. Just break off a piece and leave it out for her to discover, the Salmon is pretty stinky (cats love stinky) Gypsy will ignore treats outside on her leash (inside is a another story) but a crinkle of the package and she comes running to me. She loves both the chicken and salmon she will even sit up for a piece. Be careful when you feed by hand until CeCe can tell a piece of meat stick from fingers. Walmart carries them.View attachment 419068View attachment 419069
Inside treats are Greenies, the Hair and Skin formula I order online since I can't find them in stores.View attachment 419070
and of course the irresistible Temptations, which are in lots of stores in lots of flavorsView attachment 419071
She adores these Inaba Churu View attachment 419074she gets one daily mixed with her preboitic/probioticView attachment 419075. The Churu have a high moisture content and are great for hydration especially in the summer. I order them online since I can't find them in stores.
These are the skitter mice I mentioned earlier. Walmart carries them.View attachment 419076
Online I use Chewy or Amazon.
You are doing fine just try not to fret so much since she will sense your stess and it will make her anxious. Try to relax and concentrate on how far she has come and how much better her life is and will continue to be. 😽💝
Thank you for all of the suggestions☺ I do have some treats, small ones that I am using to reward her for letting me sit with her and talk to her. Today I was laying on the floor and slowly pushed some treats to about 4 inches from her (she was under the bed but more towards the side). She of course waited until I left to eat them. Went back about 2 hours later and when I went down on the floor and started talking she hissed at me🤣That is only the second time she did that. I said to her What in the world are you having a hissy fit for?!? She just gave me the evil eye🤣🤣.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Diary update: Today CeCe decided to hiss at me, 2nd time she has done that, not too shabby🤣I was previously talking to her and left her some treats then 2 hours later she decided she didn’t want Mommy checking up on her so she hissed when I crouched down to see her. I just kept on talking to her and after a bit I left her a few more treats. Checked on her frequently today as I didn’t want her to think she can scare me away with her hissy fits🤣. I have been leaving her bedroom door open about halfway. This evening I was talking to her and playing with her baby brush that I taped to a toy wand and slowly reached it out to the side of her face by her ear. Just touched her very gently and and rubbed her with it. She didn’t hiss or swat or run away. I kept it very short, praised her and left her 2 more treats. Nighttime now and I never bother her at night.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Today CeCe decided to hiss at me, 2nd time she has done that, not too shabby
Next time when she hiss at you, say to her in a stern voice - 'Hey no! No hissing! Mommy love you ok?' Sometimes you need to let her who's the boss although she is the real boss. Keep talking to her, she'll understand.

KathyJB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am no expert, by any means. But this group has been marvelous at helping me with my feral kitty, who we've had for 3 months. She just turned 1 year old. I had the same issues -- she was hiding in an inaccesible place behind a mattress. A few times she escaped to other parts of our house and totally disappeared for long periods of time; we couldn't find her. Once back in her room, we made it impossible for her to hide behind the mattress, and she found a hidey hole that we could reach. And she could see out of it, so it became her lookout spot. After 3 months I despaired that she still never came out except to eat and toilet, and never when we were present. She had started to play with toys in her room just a short time ago.

This group came to my rescue last month. I adopted the Gerber Stage 2 chicken and gravy baby food on a long spoon technique - offering it to her before each meal. And within 2 weeks, my cat has made a 360-degree change. Last week she willingly came out of her hiding place just to bump her head against my knee! What a shock! And it's been off to the races since. She now lets me hold her, comb her; she sits on my lap, rubs against my legs, eats treats from my hand. It's astounding. Now we are working on getting her to explore outside her room, with certain places in the house off-limits (no more hiding away for 9 days like she once did).

So there is hope! Slow and steady. Patience. And you'll be surprised. I certainly was!

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am no expert, by any means. But this group has been marvelous at helping me with my feral kitty, who we've had for 3 months. She just turned 1 year old. I had the same issues -- she was hiding in an inaccesible place behind a mattress. A few times she escaped to other parts of our house and totally disappeared for long periods of time; we couldn't find her. Once back in her room, we made it impossible for her to hide behind the mattress, and she found a hidey hole that we could reach. And she could see out of it, so it became her lookout spot. After 3 months I despaired that she still never came out except to eat and toilet, and never when we were present. She had started to play with toys in her room just a short time ago.

This group came to my rescue last month. I adopted the Gerber Stage 2 chicken and gravy baby food on a long spoon technique - offering it to her before each meal. And within 2 weeks, my cat has made a 360-degree change. Last week she willingly came out of her hiding place just to bump her head against my knee! What a shock! And it's been off to the races since. She now lets me hold her, comb her; she sits on my lap, rubs against my legs, eats treats from my hand. It's astounding. Now we are working on getting her to explore outside her room, with certain places in the house off-limits (no more hiding away for 9 days like she once did).

So there is hope! Slow and steady. Patience. And you'll be surprised. I certainly was!
This has to be one of my favorite replies!! I will need to try this right away! I really appreciate this group for all of the encouragement and ideas, it is what keeps me going with CeCe.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure to carefully read the labels and get baby food without onion or garlic as they are toxic to kittys. Gypsy won't touch baby food, I think it's the texture, hopefully CeCe will. I highly reccomend trying the Sheba meat sticks too. Good luck, keep us updated.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I am so close to happy tears right now! The store was out of baby food so mu husband picked up the lickable treats for cats and I used just a tiny bit of it on a long spoon. Five minutes of slowly creeping my arm closer to her and waiting and all of a sudden she starts nidging the spoon and licked it off! This is the first interaction with her, I am over the moon excited!

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Make sure to carefully read the labels and get baby food without onion or garlic as they are toxic to kittys. Gypsy won't touch baby food, I think it's the texture, hopefully CeCe will. I highly reccomend trying the Sheba meat sticks too. Good luck, keep us updated.
I will definitely get some meat sticks! We didn’t use the baby food because the store was out of everything, but they had the lickable treats for kitties. Good to know about the garlic and onion, I used to have a bird and always had to be careful what I gave him too.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I am so close to happy tears right now! The store was out of baby food so mu husband picked up the lickable treats for cats and I used just a tiny bit of it on a long spoon. Five minutes of slowly creeping my arm closer to her and waiting and all of a sudden she starts nidging the spoon and licked it off! This is the first interaction with her, I am over the moon excited!
:heartshape: :woohoo::banana2::clap2::clap::dance::jive: