Newly adopted Rescue

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Part of what I am struggling with is that she is too far under the bed for me to be able to work with her. I can’t reach her to try and put treats close to her unless I scoot under the bed which had set her back before. I have tried the sliw eye blinks but only got a response once, I try to do it frequently especially when it is light enough for me to see her. She seems so far away.
Can you get some boxes and push in from the other side under the bed and make her space smaller on the other side? This way she won't be right inside but nearer to the outer other side.

Make sure when you place boxes beneath the bed, the boxes are big enough to be stacked right up to the base of the bed and also the opening side of the boxes are facing way from her so that she can't climb up and squeeze to the top or go into the boxes. Have something heavy in the boxes so that she can't push it in.

Once her space is smaller, it'll easier to work with her. Keep the slow eye blinks with her and each time you blink, say it out loud - 'Blink Eyes' so that she can associate the sound with slow eye blinks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you get some boxes and push in from the other side under the bed and make her space smaller on the other side? This way she won't be right inside but nearer to the outer other side.

Make sure when you place boxes beneath the bed, the boxes are big enough to be stacked right up to the base of the bed and also the opening side of the boxes are facing way from her so that she can't climb up and squeeze to the top or go into the boxes. Have something heavy in the boxes so that she can't push it in.

Once her space is smaller, it'll easier to work with her. Keep the slow eye blinks with her and each time you blink, say it out loud - 'Blink Eyes' so that she can associate the sound with slow eye blinks.
Great suggestions, thank you! The bedroom she is in is small so the bed is against the wall but I will see if I can find a way to get some noxes under there to put up near the wall side. And she is definitely smart, every time I bring her wet food I tip the bowl and ask her if she is hungry, yesterday I peeked through the door and she came out to eat within 10 seconds of me leaving the room. It ised to take her 1/2 hour to go eat, so she knows I am feeding her when I tip the bowl. I will let her know I am doing eye blinks so she learns that too.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was about to suggest possibly pulling the bed out from the wall so you could get closer to her, but tabbytom tabbytom 's idea of boxes would do the same thing.

Thank you for being so patient with her. I know it must be frustrating, when you just want to show her how much you care. :hearthrob::petcat:

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was about to suggest possibly pulling the bed out from the wall so you could get closer to her, but tabbytom tabbytom 's idea of boxes would do the same thing.

Thank you for being so patient with her. I know it must be frustrating, when you just want to show her how much you care. :hearthrob::petcat:
Thank you for the support, more sad than frustrated. And feel so lost not knowing the right things to do. I will not give up on this sweet girl, she needs our home and our love. I wanted a kitty so much but decided I would not go looking for one, I am not super religious but I felt that the Lord would bring one to me who needed me. The Lord gave me CeCe and I will not question this gift but will embrace it and cherish her☺

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not every cat parent has the desire or patience to work with a timid cat, so I'm so glad CeCe found her way to you. It may still be a while yet, but one day I know you're going to post pics of your love bug. :catlove:

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi ! I have just read through your journey so far and it seems similar to mine . It’s so difficult and I am so grateful for the feedback I received from this site . It will be 10 months tomorrow since I got my girl . She has made many nice gains , but we still have a ways to go . I think I used a long spoon with baby food and other tube treats and eventually she accepted. She was in her carrier and then safe room for months. It sounds like you are doing everything right. I think the biggest challenge (and still is ) is learning to let her make the moves .

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi ! I have just read through your journey so far and it seems similar to mine . It’s so difficult and I am so grateful for the feedback I received from this site . It will be 10 months tomorrow since I got my girl . She has made many nice gains , but we still have a ways to go . I think I used a long spoon with baby food and other tube treats and eventually she accepted. She was in her carrier and then safe room for months. It sounds like you are doing everything right. I think the biggest challenge (and still is ) is learning to let her make the moves .
Thank you so much for the encouragement! I am so glad you are reaching some milestones, I am learning to count every small step as an accomplishment. Do you have a journal I can read through? Would love to see your story☺

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the encouragement! I am so glad you are reaching some milestones, I am learning to count every small step as an accomplishment. Do you have a journal I can read through? Would love to see your story☺
Yes, I had to learn to count those small steps too ☺. I took a lot of pictures along the way (even her just hiding, peeking out etc) so I sometimes look back to remind myself when I’m having a down day . I still need encouragement, and like today ,read through stories to help along the way . Yes, I posted often initially looking for support and suggestions. i think if you can just click on m name (but I’m not sure) . I post monthly (actually tomorrow is the 10 month day and I also adopted her sister and it was 2 months yesterday) so I’ll post a new update 😊

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I had to learn to count those small steps too ☺. I took a lot of pictures along the way (even her just hiding, peeking out etc) so I sometimes look back to remind myself when I’m having a down day . I still need encouragement, and like today ,read through stories to help along the way . Yes, I posted often initially looking for support and suggestions. i think if you can just click on m name (but I’m not sure) . I post monthly (actually tomorrow is the 10 month day and I also adopted her sister and it was 2 months yesterday) so I’ll post a new update 😊
That is so sweet that you adopted her sister!! What a love you are☺

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
es, I posted often initially looking for support and suggestions. i think if you can just click on m name (but I’m not sure) . I post monthly (actually tomorrow is the 10 month day and I also adopted her sister and it was 2 months yesterday) so I’ll post a new update 😊
Here's the link to H H&Alina 's thread: Looking for support/ adopted semi-feral cat

I haven't been following it, but I will check it out soon.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A bit of an update on CeCe. Sunday we decided to pull the bed away from the wall, I moved her new cat tree to the corner where she would try to hide. She was very scared and ran to the window sill and around the room but then sat on the sill while we finished. We stayed very calm during it and just let her watch, then we left her alone to find her spot. She laid in the cat tree for a while then transitioned to the bigger cat cubby we have and that is where she hides now. At least she is accessible to work with. She had intestinal issues yesterday, probably from the stress and is better today. Still will not interact but I will keep talking to her. I places some treats in the cubby opening and she didn’t react so at least she wasn’t angry that my hand was close to her. I will leep trying everything I can to help her.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
A bit of an update on CeCe. Sunday we decided to pull the bed away from the wall, I moved her new cat tree to the corner where she would try to hide. She was very scared and ran to the window sill and around the room but then sat on the sill while we finished. We stayed very calm during it and just let her watch, then we left her alone to find her spot. She laid in the cat tree for a while then transitioned to the bigger cat cubby we have and that is where she hides now. At least she is accessible to work with. She had intestinal issues yesterday, probably from the stress and is better today. Still will not interact but I will keep talking to her. I places some treats in the cubby opening and she didn’t react so at least she wasn’t angry that my hand was close to her. I will leep trying everything I can to help her.
You are doing a good job and keep working on her. Once she retunes her thinking, it'll be easier. You are getting close.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad to hear you moved the bed. Having her hidden under it was never going to give you a chance to really interact with her. Glad she didn't get too stressed by everything. And better still that she didn't try to scratch or bite you. It's definitely slow going with her, but every little baby step forward is progress.

Meme for 2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been able to place some treats right in the opening of the cube a few times with no reaction from CeCe, she doesn’t appear to get angy by my hands, just seems nervous. I will keep trying to get her used to me without pushing her. She is also roaming more at night in her room now that I stopped leaving the dim light on.

H&Alina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been able to place some treats right in the opening of the cube a few times with no reaction from CeCe, she doesn’t appear to get angy by my hands, just seems nervous. I will keep trying to get her used to me without pushing her. She is also roaming more at night in her room now that I stopped leaving the dim light on.
Yes, That’s great ! I was very routine with my visits when Alina was in her carrier and quiet space for months. I think I finally got her to eat the lickable treat in the pouch . I’d leave it and then gradually move it . Eventually she let me hold it , then I put it on my fingers etc. it was a process. She was scared of the wrapper noise of most treat packages so I had to work on that too eventually (bag noise = treat ) . It took some time . Once she started to play with toys wit long wands etc playing became a part of our routine too. It was and sometimes feels painfully slow , but you’ll get there too . It’s exciting to see how she blossoms.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She's trying to absorb as much changes as possible and it's overwhelming for her. What she's doing now is a very good progress.

It's better to leave the night light on for her so she won't feel so abandoned and also it's be easier for her eyes to focus although they can see pretty good in the dark.