Newly adopted cat went missing...

somniloquy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I've been a cat owner for several years but just recently adopted a new one after I lost my emotional support cat in August of last year. Right now, I live on a large property that's basically a small farm and we have two other cats that are indoor/outdoor only because they help with vermin. I adopted this new cat that I called Owlet (she looks like a baby owl) and she acclimated well -- I didn't let her outside for at least a month and she went out on her own volition. She has a collar with her name and my phone number on it.

June 13th was the last time I saw her. I searched everywhere on our property multiple times, in the night and day, and searched nearby properties with permission as well as put up missing posters. I'm very worried about her. I didn't think she would go far because the other cats don't do so. I'm in the Sacramento area -- Citrus Heights, CA. I know that cats will often come back on their own but I'm extremely worried as she's just barely a year old. She's also very pretty and has a rare black smoke coat which adds more concern because I think she could possibly be stolen. She's spayed, however. When (or if) she comes back, I'm not letting her out until she can be tracked with GPS and I might get her microchipped as well.

I'm very, very worried and have been depressed and anxious because she's missing. I just lost my wonderful cat in August 2020 that helped me with my mental health and my disability. I'm Bipolar, Autistic, and I have multiple anxiety disorders as well as a sleep disorder. I've been not able to sleep. I'm exhausted.

I will attach a picture of her.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Help! My Cat Is Lost! – TheCatSite Articles

I am very sorry that this has happened to you. If you have the Nextdoor app, post that she is missing as that will go locally to your area.

Offer a reward. If you think that she has been stolen, offer at least $50 or more for her return. Not for sightings or something that might let someone play games with you, but for an actual return.

Go out at night with a flashlight to see if you get a reflection from her eyes, post signs, call any shelters, search websites and talk to neighbors. It is labor intensive, but that is the only way to search for her. Put her litter box outside and something with a familiar scent as well.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you place her cat bed or couch cushion or a blanket that she slept on all the time outside by your front or back door? Can you place a large bull of dry food & water by her bed? Hopefully she will smell it & take a nibble. Expect other critters to nibble on it as well; hence the reason I said a big bowl.

I agree with the flashlight & reward advice. I would be going or calling every vet & shelter within 50 miles of your home. Make color print list cat reward fliers ‘ post them every where. My local shelter lets you post list cat pictures on your website & I have heard of next door letting you do that to. So place her picture on all your local web sites that you can, Facebook included.

86426062-04F0-472C-AED8-CA3827216E32.jpeg

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and listen carefully for little rustling noises. For example when my cat was exploring my mom’s very packed garage, or when my twerp of a cat escaped his harness at night ; I couldn’t see him but I could hear the little a-hole as he moved AWAY from me! 😡🤦🏻‍♀️

So listen very carefully as you go out looking for her. Most cats stay close by the house they left; often to afraid to move.

greenpeeps5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I did have a cat come home after three weeks once, so don't give up.

I know you said it was a farm, but is there an area where you can put something that is familiar to her, maybe a piece of your clothing, her bedding, her favorite food or something really yummy and put a nanny cam in that area. They are very cheap now.

I agree with putting pictures up on the NextDoor app if you have one. Mine, they are animal lovers and everybody goes to work looking for lost pets.

Had you noticed if she fit in with the cats that are already there? Sometimes they can chase them off. I had a mother cat chase off all of her babies when they were weaned, but they all came back.

If you are as attached to this kitty as you seem to be, when you get her back, you may want to switch her to be an inside kitty to stay with you.