Newly Adopted and Terrified.

Restless Dreamer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
E7716D33-D08C-4BB9-92C0-47258F0329D2.jpeg
Yesterday, we adopted this sweet 9 month old tortie. She is TERRIFIED! She will allow us to pick her up and will cuddle up as long as we are holding her or put her in her bed or in a snuggly blanket. She did not eat, drink or even urinate for more than 24 hours. When he put her in her room she runs to her bed and hides in the covers. Today, I cuddled with her on the couch, she seemed content and even took some treats from my hand. I decided to take her to her room to see if she would use the litter box but she peed quite a bit as I was carrying her to her room. (I think it was just from her holding it so long?) Once she was in her room she ran to her bed and hid in the covers. I put some softened food in her bed next to her and she ate the whole bowl. Unfortunately, she has not left her bed yet.
She is not aggressive and purrs when we pet her. Is there hope for this baby to become more social?? What can we do to help her?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of time, patience, and love :grouphug: It's normal for newly adopted cats to hide and be scared and stressed for at least a couple of days. Most usually settle in after a few days but others may take weeks. Don't rush the process. Go at the cat's own pace. Keep the cat in the safe room for now. Visit often but offer treats and toys but if the cat isn't interested, that's ok.

TCS has articles with tips:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Restless Dreamer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you... I have two questions.
1. Should I continue to pick her up and pet her? She doesn’t fight it and purrs while I pet her.
2. Should I keep putting her food in her bed if that’s the only place she will eat it?

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't pick her up. When cats are afraid they either run, hiss/aggress or turn into a little ball/freeze on the spot. I'm wondering if its the third? She is too scared to run or hiss and so allows you to pick her up? I've had one foster like this and although it's temping to pick her up and cuddle/sooth her the reality is it would like make her fear worse and she likely isn't feeling very soothed. I would keep her in that room and go in and read her books, watch tv, and play play play with wand toys. I'd also bring a little wet food each time so she looks forward to your visits.

ps she is so beautiful!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you... I have two questions.
1. Should I continue to pick her up and pet her? She doesn’t fight it and purrs while I pet her.
2. Should I keep putting her food in her bed if that’s the only place she will eat it?
Hi. Since you can get her to eat treats from your hand, she is doing very well already! Try slowly moving your fingers/hand toward her face, if she appears to shrink from it, then she probably is not all that comfortable yet with being picked up. If she leans toward your hand to sniff it, then it would seem she is willing to engage with you. What does she do if you reach out to gently pet her? Just don't be too 'grabby' right now until you see some more signs from her that shows you she is relaxing a bit.

If the only place she will accept food is on the bed, then feed her there for now. You can always set the food a tiny bit further away from her on the bed and if she moves to eat it, you can always just continue to move it a little bit further away from her each day. Does she have time to spend alone? Sometimes that is when cats will make their moves to eat, drink, and use the litter box as they feel safer doing so when they don't feel 'threatened'.

Do you have any idea about her background?

Read all of the articles above; I am sure you will find loads of information that will help guide you through the process of getting her more comfortable in her new home.

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is TERRIFIED!
I just got two new cats, about a week apart. Although they are older, I can tell you that being terrified in a new place around new people is totally normal.

She will allow us to pick her up and will cuddle up as long as we are holding her or put her in her bed or in a snuggly blanket.
My first cat still doesn't let me pick her up, although she will come and sit with me on the couch and likes being petted and brushed. I'm giving her time...that seems like the best thing to do. And try not to worry (I know how hard that is!)

She did not eat, drink or even urinate for more than 24 hours. When he put her in her room she runs to her bed and hides in the covers.
I had this issue, too, and was quite worried. She did, eventually, and I just left her alone mostly, to get adjusted and comfortable. My other cat - the one I got yesterday - has still not used the litter box, although she has eaten. She's super anxious, so I'm going to give her a little bit more time.

If the only place she will accept food is on the bed, then feed her there for now.
I agree with this. My first cat - Macie - finally ate when I put the food in the closet behind the boxes where she was hiding. I moved it out after a couple of days and she's doing great now!

I know it's hard to be patient - I'm right there with you! - but you're doing great!

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she urinated while you were carrying her, that was probably stress/fear. Only you can say if she seems happy being held, but a cat will also purr and knead when stressed, to comfort themselves. It would be ideal for her to be in a separate area, like a spare room or bathroom while she is transitioning and learning to feel safe. A small area becomes her safe room, and she will feel more comfortable to use her litter box, and eat there. Put the food at the other end, away from the litter.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nah I wouldn't pick her up or move her. Let her have her base - where she can smell her scent. It might be also why she urinated - to spread the scent. The best thing to do with a scared cat is to keep distance, aggressive or not. Use food to encourage her to move a bit, explore. Maybe put the food a little further from her bed. Using toys and soothing voice can help her bond, but overall less noise at home will be calmer environment for her and will help speed up the process of getting over the fear.