Newly Adopted 8 Yr Old Cat Escapes

Emilyem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My family recently took in a friend’s 8 year old indoor/outdoor cat after the family moved overseas. We’ve had her for 2 weeks, and while she is super sweet, she is extremely skittish and had a difficult time adjusting away from her family. She was comfortable with my sister and I, but still terrified of my parents and spent much of her time hiding under their bed. Then, yesterday night, (after attempting to get outside for the past two weeks) she managed to escape out the door as it was not fully latched. I had been planning to transition her to outside but not this early and I am worried sick. I set out food, cracked the garage, searched our yard, the neighbor’s yard, and the street in front of our house, I also set out the basket she likes to sleep in. I go outside and call her every so often (she always came out from under the bed whenever I called). Even though it has been less than 24 hours I’m just worried she is trying to find her family (who lived an hour away from us) and is extremely frightened and confused. One of our cats went missing 3 years ago and never returned and I’d really like to avoid this happening again. If anyone has gone through something similar or has any input I’d really appreciate it. Thank you so much!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't supposed she is chipped, is she? It is possible that she will try to return to her old home. I don't know what an hour away means in terms of miles, but regardless, you need to make flyers and place them everywhere you can. You also need to provide flyers to all nearby vet offices, rescue centshelters, SPCA, and animal control groups - as well as any/all local lost & found organizations. Frequent follow up calls are recommended.

When you go out to call her, you need to stay outdoors for at least 1/2 hour and take with you a can/bag of her favorite treats/food and shake it while calling to her. Go out at least after dusk and right before dawn - and as many times in between as you possibly can. It might be that she is scared and hasn't ventured out of the immediate area yet.

You might also consider notifying the people that live around where she used to live (as well as all of the above mentioned offices in that area) just in case she does manage to find her way back there.

Here is a TCS article about lost cats that might help as well.

Help! My Cat Is Lost!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats can find their old homes, often over very long distances. Is there someone in her old neighborhood that you could contact to keep an eye out for her and let you know if she turns back up there?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emilyem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't supposed she is chipped, is she? It is possible that she will try to return to her old home. I don't know what an hour away means in terms of miles, but regardless, you need to make flyers and place them everywhere you can. You also need to provide flyers to all nearby vet offices, rescue centshelters, SPCA, and animal control groups - as well as any/all local lost & found organizations. Frequent follow up calls are recommended.

When you go out to call her, you need to stay outdoors for at least 1/2 hour and take with you a can/bag of her favorite treats/food and shake it while calling to her. Go out at least after dusk and right before dawn - and as many times in between as you possibly can. It might be that she is scared and hasn't ventured out of the immediate area yet.

You might also consider notifying the people that live around where she used to live (as well as all of the above mentioned offices in that area) just in case she does manage to find her way back there.

Here is a TCS article about lost cats that might help as well.

Help! My Cat Is Lost!
I’m not entirely sure. I will check her vet papers and contact her owner to find out. I don’t think so though. It’s about 36 miles away. I plan to make flyers and to post on our town’s facebook page (our town is super small and yes, has it’s own facebook page haha). I’ll see about contacting a vet. I live in an extremely small town in eastern Europe so any shelters I know of would be a couple of hours away.

I’ve gone out as much as I can and other members of my family have gone out too. I’ve shaken food and treats.

I will message her family tomorrow and ask them if there is a way to notify their neighbors. Thank you so much for your help!

Emilyem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats can find their old homes, often over very long distances. Is there someone in her old neighborhood that you could contact to keep an eye out for her and let you know if she turns back up there?
as I mentioned in my previous post ( have never used this site before so not entirely sure how to quote 2 responses in one post) I’ll definitely contact the owners and ask. They live in a very large and busy city so I am worried that she would get hit or lost. Thank you again! I really really appreciate your help!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When your go outside and call her, stay in one place for three or four minutes. Cats are cautious creatures, and will need time to come to you. I hope you find her.

Keep us updated, please!

Emilyem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When your go outside and call her, stay in one place for three or four minutes. Cats are cautious creatures, and will need time to come to you. I hope you find her.

Keep us updated, please!
Definitely will try that! Thank you!

Also, this might sound kind of ridiculous but I saw something similar on another post. I think I might soak her food in water and drip it across the yard. I’m hoping the scent will be strong enough that it’ll draw her out from her hiding spot. Is this a useless idea?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could also put some dirty litter outside. She will hopefully recognize her smell and come home. If she doesn't know her surroundings yet, and is lost or confused, she will know her own scent.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would contact the previous owners. They may still be in contact with people from the old neighborhood that know the cat and the cat is comfortable approaching. If this is the case perhaps one of the old neighbors has their own photos of this cat and would be willing to put up fliers for you. This happened to a friend of mine who was in the process of moving. Her sister had taken her cat in because my friend was going to be moving more than once for a job transition. The cat got out before my friend's sister had taken any recent pictures. My friend was not reachable when this first happened. Her sister actually reached out to me via facebook to see if I had any recent photos. I did so I sent them to her and she used my photo's to create flyers. The cat was found quickly after he decided to lounge in the sun on her neighbors porch. She was handing out fliers right before this happened. The neighbor happened to have cats too. He put food down on the porch and went to let my friend's sister know where the cat was. The cat was taken back home along with the can of food the neighbor gave him. The strange thing here was this was an indoor cat that had never even tried to get outside before. I was his cat sitter and he had never even tried to do this to me.

Emilyem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would contact the previous owners. They may still be in contact with people from the old neighborhood that know the cat and the cat is comfortable approaching. If this is the case perhaps one of the old neighbors has their own photos of this cat and would be willing to put up fliers for you. This happened to a friend of mine who was in the process of moving. Her sister had taken her cat in because my friend was going to be moving more than once for a job transition. The cat got out before my friend's sister had taken any recent pictures. My friend was not reachable when this first happened. Her sister actually reached out to me via facebook to see if I had any recent photos. I did so I sent them to her and she used my photo's to create flyers. The cat was found quickly after he decided to lounge in the sun on her neighbors porch. She was handing out fliers right before this happened. The neighbor happened to have cats too. He put food down on the porch and went to let my friend's sister know where the cat was. The cat was taken back home along with the can of food the neighbor gave him. The strange thing here was this was an indoor cat that had never even tried to get outside before. I was his cat sitter and he had never even tried to do this to me.
Thank you! I will definitely do this, but good news! I saw her this evening. Twice actually. Once she was running across the street. Sadly she got scared by dogs and ran into a house three doors down. Then about half an hour later she was in the front window of our house. I went to quietly get her but she freaked out and ran away. I set soft food in the windowsill and it is smelly enough that our other cat ran up and started meowing (thankfully he can’t jump high enough to get it) So I am hopeful! Will continue leaving soft food out and hope she gets comfortable enough to let me catch her and take her back in.

Emilyem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s returned! And I am so relieved! My mom was working outside today and heard her meowing, sure enough, she was in our neighbor’s yard on the roof. Our neighbors don’t care whether we go into their yard or not so I grabbed soft food and got her to come low enough for me to grab her. It wasn’t the most pleasant walk home. She held on to everything she possibly could and meowed and meowed. I got a couple scratches but now she’s home safe and seems to be pretty darn happy (and hungry). Thank you all so much for the help, I really appreciate it!

Emilyem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was so excited about the good news that I forgot to ask you if you could give us your kitty's name and a pic of her!!!!!!!! Again - :cheerleader:
I am so so sorry for taking so long to respond! I was on vacation last week without access to the internet and just started school again this week so I have been a bit busy and completely forgot. So sorry again!

Yes! Her name is Socks, here is a picture of her. Thank you guys so so much for all your help, I really appreciate it!