Newest member of my little cat family..

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her name is Athena and she is 5 yrs old. Just adopted her yesterday. She was a long time resident at the shelter. She was horribly stressed and it caused her to not be on her best behavior when viewed. So consequently she was passed over again and again. I read her story and saw photos and videos of her online from the shelter's FB page. Her story just pulled at my heart and I was blown away by how much she looked like a beloved cat I had that passed away many years ago. So I made an appointment to see her and it was love at first sight... er.. meeting.

She warmed up to me right from the start and head butted my hand when I went to greet her. She was affectionate and well behaved. The total opposite of her description. So I was thrilled we made a connection.

Now all I have to do is get her and Gypsy to get adjusted to each other. Its gonna take some time as Gypsy hisses at her so I am keeping them seperate for the time being and slowly introducing them.

Here is a pic of Athena:
shelter pic.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update on Athena.

I think I understand now why she has been passed over and brought back after being adopted before. She is very skittish, nervous, unsettled, and lacks confidence. Being abandoned, then returned back to the shelter, and sent to another shelter over her 5 yrs of life has taken its toll on her. She has zero confidence and whenever she relaxes and chills for a moment it is shortlived as she jumps at any sound and has to run back and forth through the house to recheck everything.

She is incapable of relaxing at this time. I hope to remedy that with love, patience, and a bit of confidence building and challenges work her. Its gonna take some time especially getting used to a new home and her reluctant sister Gypsy. At times I feel like a heel putting Gypsy through this as she is beginning to show signs of anxiety and nervousness with her new housemate.

It will all be worth it in the long run if I can manage to get them both to get along and teach Athena how to be a confident and relaxed kitty. Please keep your fingers crossed for me as I have never done this before so every step is new to all of us.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Keep us posted.. it's wonderful that she's found a home where someone truly cares. :redheartpump::redheartpump:
It's useful to look through how to introduce cats, if you haven't already.

wily1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her name is Athena and she is 5 yrs old. Just adopted her yesterday. She was a long time resident at the shelter. She was horribly stressed and it caused her to not be on her best behavior when viewed. So consequently she was passed over again and again. I read her story and saw photos and videos of her online from the shelter's FB page. Her story just pulled at my heart and I was blown away by how much she looked like a beloved cat I had that passed away many years ago. So I made an appointment to see her and it was love at first sight... er.. meeting.

She warmed up to me right from the start and head butted my hand when I went to greet her. She was affectionate and well behaved. The total opposite of her description. So I was thrilled we made a connection.

Now all I have to do is get her and Gypsy to get adjusted to each other. Its gonna take some time as Gypsy hisses at her so I am keeping them seperate for the time being and slowly introducing them.

Here is a pic of Athena:
View attachment 356483
Lovely little girl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes. I got the diffuser 2 days ago and plugged it in. Haven't really seen any difference yet but there is noticeably more peace day by day as each adjust. Priscilla (formerly Athena-- I renamed her) is still very nervous and standoffish. I have to be patient and give her the time she needs to trust me and Gypsy and decide when she wants to give affection. So this may take longer than anticipated because I have never dealt with a cat so skiddish before. But then she has not had a forever home before or been out of the shelter her entire little life of 5 yrs so it will take her time to really feel safe and finally know that this is truly her home.