Newest Cat Suddenly Going After One of My Other Cats

A_Rez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I apologize if something like this has already been asked...

In September, I took in a stray kitten (about 5 months old). I already had 2 cats (one 4 year old female and one 1 year old male).

I took the proper precautions, kept the new kitten separated from the other 2 and slowly introduced them. Once they were all together, the two boys really seemed to hit it off after getting used to each other and would play together all the time.

Within the past few months, the new cat has begun randomly going after the other boy cat... pouncing on him and biting him to the point of breaking skin. My other cat cries and then obviously shows his dislike of it, running off to a safe spot, but growling, hissing and swatting if the other cat gets too close too soon. I am not sure what is triggering this, but it is obviously causing tension. When they are just hanging out, all three cats can hang out around each other, no problem. They relax, and snooze in the same area as one another. The boys no longer play together though, and I assume it is because this new cat is being too rough. When this started, he also started attacking my feet.

I am hoping I can get some help and tips about how to ease this tension and stop the random attacks.
Seeing as he was once a stray, I figure that is part of it as he continues to adjust to having a home, but I don't want my other boy to always be on edge and stressed over it... It seems like we are taking steps backwards instead of continuing to move forward in their cohesion.

Yes, the new cat has been neutered. He does not have any health issues that I know of... He eats, drinks, sleeps, plays.
I also have Feliway Multi-Cat plug-ins throughout the house.

The only thing I can think to do at this point is separate my newest cat from the other 2 again, and then work on re-introducing them.

Thank you so much for any input you can give!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Separating them might help although I'm guessing you'll be hearing a lot of feline yelling about it. I think, though, that your new cat is simply growing up and exhibiting normal exuberant behavior. Time should hopefully bring things to more of a balanced situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

A_Rez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today was good! Pretty harmonious. I'll be sure to update periodically.

A_Rez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20200527_121214.jpg

The crew! Middle fluff ball is the newest addition.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is why I always tell people that getting a second kitten is not a risk free solution to a younger active cat bugging an older cat that doesn't want any. Sometimes the new cat will bug the older one despite having a playmate more its own age that is generally willing. Happens.

Anyway, this is what one year olds do. That is normal play. And it is normal that the older cat doesn't want any of it and is making protest noises and showing avoidance. Normal doesn't mean its a happy thing for the older cat, but it should improve with time. Most cats mellow out at some point between one and two and these issues usually improve over time.

A_Rez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Yes, I know it's not risk free. It was a process getting my oldest cat adjusted to my now middle cat, but we got there.

Getting the 3rd rambunctious, learning to not be a feral cat was not in the plans, but he showed up at my house and I couldn't turn him away! I guess it's just different because my other 2 cats know nothing but being in a home seeing as they were both adopted through organizations, and the new guy came from a life on the street.

Thank you again for the response, I appreciate the feedback! Helps to ease my worried cat mama mind. :)

A_Rez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, we had almost a week of calm...

But within the past 2 days there have been multiple instances of him jumping my other boy again. The most recent waking me up right now in the middle of the night to unhappy noises and tufts of hair all over from the cat getting jumped on. I'm pretty sure the jumper attacked while the jumpee was asleep on his bed ☹. My boy getting jumped on is a petite guy and I worry he's going to get hurt more than just the scabs I have found on him already... Because crazy cat's "play" (at least I hope that's what this is) is not nice... I have scars all over my ankles from him as well (I assume he never learned how to play properly since he seemed to be on his own outside prior to joining my crew)...And he's now bigger than his older brother!
I'm sure I am over reacting but I feel like I've tried everything in the book and it's hard to see my other cat, who is sooooo sweet (and now seems more skiddish 😣) unhappily being the target of the new guy's crazy energy. I'd love to see them actually play together again... Both parties willingly. (He doesn't bother my oldest girl cat because he knows she is queen and will not stand for his shenanigans 😂)

Worried cat mom rant over. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take some video for us if you can! That said, the fact that they hang out together and seem to like each other when rough play is not going on means the older boy cat doesn't view this as that bad in the scheme of things. So I'm pretty sure we won't find the video all that bad, and will be able to help put it in perspective for you. The younger one is one, which makes him the equivalent of an annoying pre-teen boy. If we were to take it further I guess you could say he is the equivalent of a huge pre-teen boy that happens to already be bigger than his teen brother who is less athletic, more introverted, and doesn't feel comfortable when the somewhat annoying younger brother rough houses - and younger brother doesn't care and is insensitive about that. If you think about this dynamic, there have been a few movies about it. The younger brother in those movies usually grows up and continues acting the same way toward the older brother, which makes him a bit of an @## and continuing foil for the older brother. In your case, however, there is every chance that the youngster will mature and they will find a healthier relationship as they age. In the meantime, they are still brothers. You don't choose your brothers, and sometimes they are annoying as heck, but they are still family. I would never tell you that there is zero chance of real problems developing - cats don't always have the kind of stable relationships people do and where they are currently in their relationship does matter - but I think its likely they are going to be ok.

A_Rez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I'll do my best to try and get a video but it's always so sudden and quick.

I know I'm probably just a worry wart... 😂

Wouldn't it be so much easier if we could just communicate with them ?! 😂😂

Trying to stay pawsitive!

A_Rez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to try today. I'm still working on getting him comfortable with getting his claws clipped. It's a fight every time! He's not a fan, haha

A_Rez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OKAY! So, knock on wood... We've been doing great lately! The two boys have been back to playing and wrestling with one another! 🤗 They've been chasing each other all over the house lately. And with little to no bad reactions. Of course my older boy lets him know when he's had enough or if it's too much... But it's been so much better. I tried to upload a video but it won't let me ☹