Newer cat with worms?

Letsconsider

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, we have had 2 cats for a very long time. We just got a new cat from a local shelter. They said she would be generally clean and healthy without worms, but we’ve had some... incidents. Specifically, we’ve had little white worms come out of her butt. They’re about the size of a grain of rice(less than and inch) and move around like tiny disgusting caterpillars. This happens very infrequently(we’ve seen 3 worms total). We’ve taken her to the vet several times, and we had her go through the deworming once, but had a worm come out ~a month after. They didn’t believe us the second time, and only after an additional visit with a fecal sample did they get convinced she still had a tapeworm. We gave her the tapeworm med less than a week ago, but my question is-do you have any advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Letsconsider

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Specifically I mean advice for if we still think she has worms after the new meds.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not sure what kind of advice you are looking for. Most tapeworms in cats are from fleas, so if you have fleas you may need to consistently treat for them, and may need to consistently treat for worms also. In addition, depending on which dewormer is used, you often need to do more than one deworming, when worms are found. Once for the adult worms, and then again for new hatchlings.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had the joy of finding a tapeworm segment attached to my new kitty's bum. And I thought, what the heck, she was just dewormed at the vet. But I have come to understand tapeworm may require a different med than the general dewormer she was given at the vet (Pyrantel Pamoate). I have not seen any recurrence since treating her with specific tapeworm meds (can't find the name). But yes, if she ever got fleas, she'd be at risk of getting it again.

rodger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i wonder if having fleas is a sure thing that worms will follow? i let my little buddy go way to long with fleas, just got her treated but i also thought i saw a couple tiny little white things right around the dark spot of the south end. i really get crazy worried when it comes to giving her meds, chemicals of any kind does anyone have a suggestion for a safe wormer? i dont trust my vet. and the one i had that i do trust we get into on account of the covid

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
i wonder if having fleas is a sure thing that worms will follow? i let my little buddy go way to long with fleas, just got her treated but i also thought i saw a couple tiny little white things right around the dark spot of the south end. i really get crazy worried when it comes to giving her meds, chemicals of any kind does anyone have a suggestion for a safe wormer? i dont trust my vet. and the one i had that i do trust we get into on account of the covid
Can you CALL the vet you trust and just ask them for a flea med? You probably don't need an appointment for a prescription, just tell them what you are seeing. Did you relocate or something, is that why you have a new Vet now? You absolutely need a Vet you can trust. Maybe ask some friends or co-workers for a referral?

rodger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you CALL the vet you trust and just ask them for a flea med? You probably don't need an appointment for a prescription, just tell them what you are seeing. Did you relocate or something, is that why you have a new Vet now? You absolutely need a Vet you can trust. Maybe ask some friends or co-workers for a referral?
thank you no we didnt relocate, our regular vet office has a curbside pick up only policy because of covid so i cannot go in with her and be sure she is being seen by her doctor, the last time we took her there they [ the staff ] lied to me and had her with another vet and that vet gave us terrible wrong info and advise that would have cost our kitty her life when all that was wrong was her knee would pop out of joint. hence the alternative vet and second opinion. kind of a crazy story but well get back to normal soon. what im wondering is about a sure safe wormer recomendation i have the fleas under control but it looks like she has the worms that follow

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Drontal dewormer for my cat and never needed a vet for it. Just know the cat's weight to determine the right dosage and give him the pill. If you know the cat has worms, 2 weeks after the 1st deworming it needs to be repeated to kill the 2nd generation. There are also antiflea drops that protect the cat for a month or so if the cat goes outside.

rodger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the flea treatment the vet used is a 3 month treatment and of coarse i worried about that after reading up on its possible side affects. so shes seems fine after the treatment other than a little lethargic and eating a lot of grass alls well that ends well and im thankful that it last 3 months as it sounds like it will make it easy to get the worms under control, i just cant seem to trust the vets and all the meds have such a horrible list of possible side affects and i know they have to list them and i know why but that just makes it more confusing so i look for word of mouth and fellow cat people to try and sort out whats the safest bet with the diff meds etc.fpr safety sake and my peace of mind, as far as the trust level with the vets why in the heck did the vet give me the bums rush when i had her in for check up and flea treatment and not even mention the probable need for worm treatment meds while i was there, maybe for an additional office call , heck if i know but it make it hard to trust and feel like they have the cats health as a priority, thankful i found this forum and thankful for all the kind people here