Newborns and the vet

momof6mews

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When am I suppose to take my newborns to the vet? Does anyone know what they will do, and what it will cost?

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Call your vet and find out. I took my foster kittens in when they were a couple of days old.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by momof6Mews

When am I suppose to take my newborns to the vet? Does anyone know what they will do, and what it will cost?
I don't like taking newborns in to the vet at all unless I have to - until they need their vaccines and that starts at 6 weeks old. They will need vaccines for Rhinotraceitis, Calici and Panleukopenia, the vet will listen to their hearts and will weigh them. They will need to go back to the vet at around 9 weeks for their second vaccines and a general exam and again at 12 weeks for the third vaccines and a general exam. Your vet may also suggest worming them.

Costs vary widely so it is best to call your vet and ask what the pricing would be for the litter to be brought in. Normally, it is customary for the vet to charge you one exam fee for the entire litter but of course, they will charge you for the individual vaccines.

Hope this helps,

~gf~

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would agree with Gaye, unless the litter is afflicted with illness or the momcat is sick. Keep them inside and with momcat.