Newborns Abandoned And Need Help

Delanekx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
While preparing for Hurricane Irma, I found a litter of 5 newborn kittens. I left them but mom never came back. I know how much work goes into hand raising these babies but I am unable to invest the time and attention they need. I have been bottle feeding and stimulating elimination. They seem to be doing okay with it.
Does anyone know of a foster, rescue group, or even a nursing queen that maybe able to help? I know it's a long shot but I'm desperate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Delanekx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I'm located in Orlando Fl.

Delanekx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:

Momma has taken 3 back.

I left them in my screened back porch and returned to see momma carrying a little one away.
I'll keep everyone posted of any changes.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good, leave mom some good food, she probably was gone so long searching for food.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please find a way to move them to safety in your home while you look for a shelter. They are likely to be in serious trouble if outside when the storm hits.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm in Florida too, but if we get lots of rain and wind they may need to be on your back porch during the storm beginning this weekend.

If you know where they are, maybe you can bring mom and kittens back on the porch for the storm. They will need shelter. I hate for the babies to drown or get washed away in the hurricane.

Delanekx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, please leave mom food on the back porch.

Where did she take the kittens?
She left through a hole in my back fence, so I can't be sure. I'm still feeding the other 2 and they seem to be doing well. I've left food for mom in the hopes she'll come back for her others.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
D Delanekx

Please do not let mom take the other two. With Hurricane Irma coming, mom does not need to be outside with any of the kittens.

Hopefully she will return to eat and realize the porch is a safe place. The baby she took is not safe out there.

Is mom eating the food you are leaving?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From My Friendly Ferals' in NC:
This group is for animals & Hrcn. Irma:
GA,SC,TN,FL&NC ANIMAL RESCUE DISASTER HELP
also, you can post in the visitor's section of TIGER ROAR:CAT GUARDIANS COMMUNITY and Kellie will repost for you.
And.... b4 Katrina, a woman knew that ferals would shelter in the crawlspace under her house so she bought short (not tall) litter pans and put them, empty, under the house. When the floods came, the cats got in the litter pans and the "makeshift boats" floated and all the cats survived. I would duct-tape those float noodles around the sides, too. Just a thought!

Delanekx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: Mom has taken all of her babies. We are still leaving her food. She's a stray in the area and will not let me close, so I'm unable to bring her and the babies on the porch. We are in a higher area, so hopefully she's found good shelter.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addtion to leaving her food and water on the porch, I would put out a shelter box on the porch and avoid that spot. She can hunker down whereever she is, during the winds, but if the water rises, she might opt to bring them back to the porch to escape the flood. At any rate, you will have done all that you could. If they are nearby, you might hear them meowing for help, later on, and can locate them. Just keep a stout rope handy, in case you have to go out into the storm, for whatever reason, and tie it off well, so you can hand-over-hand it to get back inside, if you need to turn around. Also, have plenty of float noodles handy, as well as an reflective worker's vest and a helmet. If you go after the kittens, you can carry a pillowcase to drop them in and a towel.
Thank you for the update! If you can, please keep them coming so we know how YOU are faring. Prayers and vibes for safety :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Screenshot_20170831-235239.png
This is that handy hint from a hurricane survivor - maybe you can help spread the idea around. I would try attaching floatnoodles or foam pipe insulation around the edges and secure with duct tape. (The pipe insulation tubes are pre-slit vertically but the thicker floaty tubes will have to be sliced). And you can look at how to use the sun to distill water (youtube has videos) and then filter it with a backpacker's water filter ( the "straws"work for personal use), in case you need water.
Stay safe and God bless!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm concerned the cats may not make it. I just hope Irma is no longer a category 4 when it moves through Orlando Sunday night.

If mom senses danger, perhaps she will bring the kittens back to your porch temporarily. Please leave it open for her!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have large bins outside for bird food. Put something like that on your porch for some protection from a hurricane and heavy flower pots on top so it stays closed. Try befriending the cat and kittens enough so you can bring them inside temporarily before the storm hits.I live in Houston on the north side. Got very lucky. We've had strong winds but nothing like Irma. You can probably find suggestions about how to protect yourself and the kittens from the strong winds. Scarey

Last edited:

Brees

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 195352
This is that handy hint from a hurricane survivor - maybe you can help spread the idea around. I would try attaching floatnoodles or foam pipe insulation around the edges and secure with duct tape. (The pipe insulation tubes are pre-slit vertically but the thicker floaty tubes will have to be sliced). And you can look at how to use the sun to distill water (youtube has videos) and then filter it with a backpacker's water filter ( the "straws"work for personal use), in case you need water.
Stay safe and God bless!
Great idea. I found 3 kitten a little older in an apt house drain in n.c. i have been feeding them daily. The animal rescue team will be coming out to set traps maybe after the expected storm. Today it just started raining as they told me to stop feeding them. It is breaking my heart not to, as I do understand why. Everyone at this apartment complex I just happened to drive into saw them, but no one did anything about it. What makes me sick is the people who abandon or are toooo lazy to find a home for their pets who have relied on them up til the day they left them. Not everyone is meant to have a pet. Also here in north carolina the spaying and neutering prices are ridiculous. My daughters and I have all rescue cats, as we always, spay or neuter them. If they catch these 3, I will keep up with them , so they are not put down. I did not realize how much of a problem this was until I started googling. I have had some nice passer-byers and then a couple of total idiots. Oh it' s so nice you are feeding them. This is an apartment complex where no pets are allowed. Until God fixes this I guess we just have to deal with it. Just 1 problem out of a million. Hum so sadddd. I WILL TRY THE NOODLE suggestion if I run into any dire cat/ kitten, water/ possible drowning situation. Hands up to the person suggestion.