Newborn Supplemental Feed Guidance Needed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheeky_Moose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is mamma actively cautioning them, to avoid humans?

Re the poo... Its prob momma still eats it. But observen, normally when they begin to eat solid foods, the consistency of poo changes, and momma tends to not longer eat it...
Mama Cat (Anise)has been a challenging foster for me to read behaviourally. She clearly likes to be around people she knows but has a Dr.Jekyl/mr.Hyde personality when it comes to touch. I think she gets super overstimulated by it. She was spicy even before she had the babies but the litter pushed that to an extreme and 6 weeks later I’ve gotten to the point where I just don’t touch her anymore because I can’t trust her at all. I feel horrible about it as she clearly loves being pet but I can’t tolerate her drawing blood from me every time. It’s not just petting either- if I move too quickly, she whacks my legs as well. No hissing, no signs of fear, she can be purring and head butting into your hand one minute and smacking you the next. She’s the first foster I’ve had that I feel needs anti-anxiety meds but the shelter wants to wait till babies are weaned and we can get her spayed. I suspect Anise was abused in her past poor sweetheart. 🙁
All that to say- I don’t think she’s actively cautioning the babes against humans but she’s incredibly anxious about everything in general and I think that influences the babies. I’ve been able to work around it for the most part (all the kittens can be handled, are relaxed around me, and will play) but only one kitten seems to ignore Anise influence and be willing to explore, be bold etc.
Anise still gets upset when a kitten leaves her sight so I’m hesitant to remove the litter from their mama and safe area to try and socialize them. Do I keep plugging away and just hope the kittens come around with more positive experiences?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Anise still gets upset when a kitten leaves her sight so I’m hesitant to remove the litter from their mama and safe area to try and socialize them. Do I keep plugging away and just hope the kittens come around with more positive experiences?
That is a good question. I use to say re the holy rule of minimum 8 weeks with momma. There are a few exceptions.

Orpans. Dire circumstances when you must try to save what may be saved.... And feraly moms... When you sometimes simply must separate kittens from momma when they are still easy to foster, and still easy to catch...

That last is mainly for free living mommas, perhaps where we have some access, but we dont have a natural contact with them....

And its possible here we have a variation of this... Not really ferale momma, but a momma whom seems to have a negative influence on their socialization...
So its a dilemma...

Still, I understand you are thinking this way.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you can wait until the kittens are 8 weeks old that would be best. They still need their mom until then and until they are all eating soft foods and even kitten chow. 8 weeks is truly the minimum.

Keep doing what you are doing. Since the kittens can be handled and seem relaxed with you, I think they will socialize fairly easily down the road. You also may find them more willing to explore outside their “safe” zone over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for hanging in there! They are cute as buttons!