Newborn Kittens Look Healthy?

Rebecca123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_6337.JPG
Hi everyone! My cat just gave birth to 4 kittens on Tuesday morning. I took this photo this morning. I haven't gotten a scale yet, and I was wondering if they look like they are the right size for 3 day old kittens. They eat and sleep a lot and cry only once in a while. They seem to have grown quite a lot in just a few days! Let me know what you think!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. I understand the father is a point too? As all visible kittens are points.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rebecca123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They seem to be healthy. But the true test is in their weight.

Beautiful mama cat BTW.
Agree. I understand the father is a point too? As all visible kittens are points.
They appear healthy! A scale will alleviate any concerns though. :)

Thanks everyone! I just ordered a scale so I can check their weights. I believe the father is a snowshoe that I saw hanging around her after she escaped. (Obviously she will be getting spayed as soon as she's finished nursing) But I am very excited to see their markings!

Last edited:

Rebecca123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_6359.JPG
Little update!

Just weighed them this morning! The smallest was 5.7 oz and the largest was 6.5 oz. I think this puts them in the normal range, but I'll make sure to check daily.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes they are growing visibly by naked eye "hero kittens" as on the saga. Stii weighting is awise routine if not very experienced.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the weights are good! Thank you for the update. Mama and kittens are beautiful! :)

Rebecca123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for the replies! They are growing a lot every day! However, their eyes are all in the process of opening and I just noticed that one has a light red/brown tinted crust on the OUTER corner of her eye. No goo or anything. Do you think this is an eye infection? I'm confused because I thought that the inner corner is usually what signals an infection, but that part of her eye is open and seems completely normal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! (Sorry for not having a photo but it's a very small area and my phone couldn't focus that sharply.)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is probably just dried tears.

Wipe it with a warm, damp cloth and watch it in case it becomes infection.

Rebecca123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_7357.JPG
IMG_7325.JPG
IMG_7380.JPG

I want to thank you all for helping me out when these babies were newborns! They and momma are doing great now! They are just one day shy of 5 weeks old. I was wondering if anyone could tell if this kitten will have long or medium fur? It is a silky texture and about twice the length of all the other kittens' fur, which is fuzzy and more rough.

Thanks!

megdarcy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow they are stunning!!

My foster cat is due any day now, so excited.