Newborn kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Use the powder but instead of mixing with water, mix with goats milk.
I'm personally a little concerned with the color of the poop. I'm having flashbacks of when mine were 14 days old. (they were found in a bowl on the hwy at 10 days). But the Giardia that they had was more orange. Keep an eye on the color of the poop.

You are doing very well with him.

BTW, they were able to be wormed at 14 days with a mild powder wormer I just mixed with their milk. Unfortunately, my old mind just can't remember which wormer, but ask your vet and worm as soon as he is able to withstand it.
Is this color concerning ? Unaware which poo your talking about but if it’s the one attached to the post you replied to, this is his poo today, I was too overjoyed that he finally pooped a good poop on his new formula that I didn’t think about color it’s just the first good poo he’s had since I found him, I mixed it with 1:1 water & pedialyte with the 1 scoop of powder the vet is gonna deworm him on Monday, since he’ll be 2 weeks old and to get a better exam but I really think the breeders edge was perfect for him by how his little body’s changed since switching no more bloat belly for Mr gussy 🥳

Do you think I should continue to make his formula with the pedialyte ? I didn’t want him to be dehydrated by the daily diarrhea for a week or more, wondering if too much electrolytes can be bad?

Attachments

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The poo on this particular image looks good. I was concerned with the one that was more yellow. Keep doing what you're doing and go by your vet...not me. I am not qualified to tell you different from your vet. The pedialyte is good, however, if it were me, I would be using goats milk instead of the pedialyte.

Do keep an eye on his poo. If it turns orangey, then be concerned. I'm only saying this because you found him in less than perfect conditions and he may have picked something up from his mom prior to you finding him.

You are doing very well.

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
The poo on this particular image looks good. I was concerned with the one that was more yellow. Keep doing what you're doing and go by your vet...not me. I am not qualified to tell you different from your vet. The pedialyte is good, however, if it were me, I would be using goats milk instead of the pedialyte.

Do keep an eye on his poo. If it turns orangey, then be concerned. I'm only saying this because you found him in less than perfect conditions and he may have picked something up from his mom prior to you finding him.

You are doing very well.
Wee update, his poo is not mustard yellow little less pasty more like.. a gooey play doh 😅

anyway I need help again.I’m concerned he is either blind, or has an infection in his eyes.
they glare red.. toast and puddles eyes never glared red.. should he see a regular vet or be rushed to the er vet? Or am I coo coo bananas and it’s perfectly normal? its a really bad picture but it’s all I could get from Mr sassy pants

he’s 215g now growing like a weed, eyes are fully open they just.. seem off to me. I’m not that sure he responds that well to speaking either it’s like he smells I’m there or something because I could be ninja silent and all of a sudden he starts screaming for his milkies 😂 anyway I am pretty concerned about it I just don’t know if I should wait.

I have terramycin (the eye sab) it’s also an antibiotic if I’m not mistaken would it be too risky to try that? I had to use it on toast to help his eyes, and he responded extremely well to it,

Attachments

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
anyway I need help again.I’m concerned he is either blind, or has an infection in his eyes.
they glare red..
I have no idea what I'm talking about, as this could very well be an eye infection. Which my cursory Google search confirmed that reddish eyes of a newborn can be signs of an infection.

But does anyone have any thoughts on if this cat is possibly albino? From what I've seen online, an albino cat can have red eyes. And this cat looks totally white in the pictures I've seen (but I understand he still has a lot of fur to grow).

See the attached example of one albino cat. That was my first thought of a possible explanation, especially because the eyes look "healthy" (but again, I don't know what I'm talking about) and just red in color.

Attachments

Last edited:

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what I'm talking about, as this could very well be an eye infection. Which my cursory Google search confirmed that reddish eyes of a newborn can be signs of an infection.

But does anyone have any thoughts on if this cat is possibly albino? From what I've seen online, an albino cat can have red eyes. And this cat looks totally white in the pictures I've seen (but I understand he still has a lot of fur to grow).
I also have no idea what I’m talking about, but if it is any help to OP my kitties are very similar in age, and looked almost identical to Gus in the beginning.

I’m sure comparison will be of no help here, but I know someone mentioned him potentially being a colourpoint before. The father of my kitties is colourpoint, and we have confirmed that they are too. Which to my understanding means they have temperature-sensitive albinism which causes them start out a white colour and slowly start to develop darker “points” one exposed to cooler temps outside of the womb. I’m not sure if this timeline is different for every cat, but at about 5 days their ears and noses started to get visibly darker. Attached a photo of one of my babies. So if it usually starts showing by now I’m guessing Gus is a pure white cat, so possibly the red eyes could indicate albinism?

Is there anyway you could call first and ask if it is truly urgent, that you think possible eye infection but also maybe mention to them that he is all white and his eyes are red? Specify that it’s the actual eye-colour itself.

Attachments

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there anyway you could call first and ask if it is truly urgent, that you think possible eye infection but also maybe mention to them that he is all white and his eyes are red? Specify that it’s the actual eye-colour itself.
My vet has allowed me to email pictures before actually bringing my cat in, with no promises of a diagnosis, but just for really quick checks of something that is obvious to deduce. Basically, if it's a question I'm asking over the phone, which they are willing to answer over the phone, their office allows supplemental photos to be emailed. Rather than being for making a diagnosis, it's more like for determining whether to bring my cat in, or don't bring him in. Maybe that could be a possibility, for a vet to give advice on if Gus has albinism vs. an eye infection.

Also, from my limited understanding, hearing develops around the same timeline as eyes opening. Since Cattycoves Cattycoves mentioned that Gus isn't responding well to speaking yet. His hearing may still be developing.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are the options as I see it (I am also not qualified, just my opinion).
1. He is an albino, which was my first thought also.
2. Cats eyes do tend to glow red in the light, but I'm thinking it's not just direct light they glow (correct?)
3. He does have an eye infection
The thing about any infection is to not self diagnose it and just give a random antibiotic. I understand that a vet is expensive, however, each antibiotic is designed for certain things. You could give an antibiotic that not only doesn't help the situation, but could in fact be harmful. Not to mention that whatever bacteria is causing the infection will become resistant and no longer work.
I'm glad you contacted the vet....let us know.

Also, I'm glad to hear his poo is normal.

Edited to add: This could also be a virus. In which case, not only will an antibiotic not do a thing, but kitty will develop a resistance.
Please let us know what the vet thinks.

Last edited:

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so we had went back to the er vet that day and she saw him wasn’t too concerned just told me to try the terramycin (I already had that lol) twice a day and it “should clear up” the reason I was worried was because it was the whole eye that was just like a glowy red… anyway I used it for a few days and nothing really changed except his eyes opened fully big and bright and you could finally see the blue and just the iris glows now I feel much better about it that it’s just the glare of light, but of course now I’m having a NEW problem 🤦 gussy is 17 days old today. This little gremlin doesn’t like to be stimulated anymore. I do it and he screams his head off (I use baby warm/room temp baby wipes for gentle skin. And it’s done extremely lightly.) and as soon as he gets to his “crib” he’ll poo. Why. It’s well to early for him to do that yeah?? He doesn’t mind peeing tho.. just when he poos he literally crawls to a corner and poos.. it’s normal poos and everything he just for some reason doesn’t want me touching his butt anymore... He is 298g now still gaining, still taking the bottle. His pee is clear/ light yellow and his poo.. uh. I don’t know why but the best way to describe it is the squirtable cheese in the can 😂 bit lighter or a yellow though.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He sounds like he’s thriving!

Is his bottom perhaps a bit sore or chapped? Even gentle use of wipes can cause a bit of burn. Apply A&D ointment now while he’s too young to lick it off. It should help!

Keep up the terrific job! He is adorable! :catlove:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you took him to the vet and his eye is getting better. I'm trying to remember when mine were that age. I do remember that they also screamed a lot and I had to use an ointment, but I was also dealing with Giardia and thought it was from that. This was six years ago and my memory fades a little on exactly what they were like (Wow Sarthur2 Sarthur2 and StefanZ StefanZ , can you believe it's been that long ago?).

Anyway, you are doing great. Keep up the good work and thanks for the update.