Newborn kitten

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
Found a little kitten on the ground with dirt in his mouth no mom nearby nor other babies seems like maybe we was left behind? Either way. I took him home got him on a heating pad noticed he was INFESTED with fleas, after asking around I did a das dish soap bath got almost all of them off and it cleaned him up very good too, he was so filthy and was a tad cold. Warned him up and syringe fed him 3ml (unsure if that’s an ok amount? ) I let him eat till he was done but unsure about the amount, he looks identical to soup who I lost last month. He looks pretty promising, he’s very active, responsive, and gaining weight. As soon as I got him home I weighed him, 90g and let him warm up then fed him 93g afterwards. I’m using the liquid Pet AG KMR same as I’m using for my current 5 1/2 week old puddles.
I haven’t dealt with a baby THIS small without a mom before. I’ve watched a bit of the kitten lady I couldn’t really find any specific info about his age. It seems like mom may have purposely left him because when I got him to go potty for the first time (before feeding) he soaked 3 little pads it seemed like a lot to me I dunno, haven’t had a poo yet hopefully he’s able to digest his formula properly. If anyone has further on-site on a kitten this young I’d really appreciate it I have timers set for every 2 hrs as well.

Attachments

Kat Luv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Cattycoves Cattycoves . First, bless you for taking care of the little guy. I've not worked with newborns for many years, but I do know that mama cat licks the little ones' bottoms when they're very tiny to stimulate poo. Perhaps put some warm (but not too warm) water onto a very soft piece of cloth (like an old cotton shirt, etc.) and make sure it's not too wet, then gently wipe his bottom to see if it stimulates him to go. I hope the little guy does well. KMR is a great choice....I am not sure how much/often they need feeding, but it seems like it's every 3-4 hrs during the first 2-3 weeks. Hopefully someone can confirm the amount and frequency...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Found a little kitten on the ground with dirt in his mouth no mom nearby nor other babies seems like maybe we was left behind? Either way. I took him home got him on a heating pad noticed he was INFESTED with fleas, after asking around I did a das dish soap bath got almost all of them off and it cleaned him up very good too, he was so filthy and was a tad cold. Warned him up and syringe fed him 3ml (unsure if that’s an ok amount? ) I let him eat till he was done but unsure about the amount, he looks identical to soup who I lost last month. He looks pretty promising, he’s very active, responsive, and gaining weight. As soon as I got him home I weighed him, 90g and let him warm up then fed him 93g afterwards. I’m using the liquid Pet AG KMR same as I’m using for my current 5 1/2 week old puddles.
I haven’t dealt with a baby THIS small without a mom before. I’ve watched a bit of the kitten lady I couldn’t really find any specific info about his age. It seems like mom may have purposely left him because when I got him to go potty for the first time (before feeding) he soaked 3 little pads it seemed like a lot to me I dunno, haven’t had a poo yet hopefully he’s able to digest his formula properly. If anyone has further on-site on a kitten this young I’d really appreciate it I have timers set for every 2 hrs as well.
You seem to do terrific! And the pic of the accomodations are beatiful....

Re pooing you have surely read or know already, but the post above has the right idea.... there are other tricks, but begin with these.

Amounts:
8ml of kmr or goats milk / 28ml per day. (ie we are really talking OZ here).
This is the basic... If he wish more, give more, but it shouldnt be much less...

90g is a shade over 3OZ, so it gives about 25ml kmr or goats milk during 24 hours... (it will be more as he gains!)

Every 3 hours gives about 3ml each time... :)

How often? Healthy kittens manage every 3 hours - even every 4 hours,

But if unsure, start with every 2 hours till you are sure he is stabilized and wll...
If very weak and dont manage to eat his portion, even down to every hour; giving little but often....

I would suspect he is really not a white, but a point.... "siamese-mix". We will see in a few days if ears, tail, nose darkens up.

And yeah, I dont think its a concidence he comes to you about a months after you lost your loved Soup... And even have the same looks...
Such happens more often than just sheer statistics.

I wont speculate in the exact explanation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
You seem to do terrific! And the pic of the accomodations are beatiful....

Re pooing you have surely read or know already, but the post above has the right idea.... there are other tricks, but begin with these.

Amounts:
8ml of kmr or goats milk / 28ml per day. (ie we are really talking OZ here).
This is the basic... If he wish more, give more, but it shouldnt be much less...

90g is a shade over 3OZ, so it gives about 25ml kmr or goats milk during 24 hours... (it will be more as he gains!)

Every 3 hours gives about 3ml each time... :)

How often? Healthy kittens manage every 3 hours - even every 4 hours,

But if unsure, start with every 2 hours till you are sure he is stabilized and wll...
If very weak and dont manage to eat his portion, even down to every hour; giving little but often....

I would suspect he is really not a white, but a point.... "siamese-mix". We will see in a few days if ears, tail, nose darkens up.

And yeah, I dont think its a concidence he comes to you about a months after you lost your loved Soup... And even have the same looks...
Such happens more often than just sheer statistics.

I wont speculate in the exact explanation.

He’s been taking the “bottle” (syringe) very well About 3ml every time, he’s up to 96g now, peeing good, no poo yet makes me a bit nervous. When I put him back in his er.. cage.? Idk what to call it 😅 anyway I put him back and he seems a bit restless at first and will cry out once or twice before going back to sleep. Anything I can do to help him.? He has a snuggle puppy with a heartbeat and a rice sock to stimulate a baby, I thought about getting some socks meant for infants and making little ones his size, is that completely insane? 🤣 I’m trying to make him as comfortable as possible
warm and fed.

I can’t get over how identical he is to soup.. bright red nose and all.. it was bittersweet to fully see him when I picked him up I realized he looked just like soup, maybe his name will be soup related or something in soup lol, however this little one came to be, I’m very grateful to be apart of it :)

He does seem a bit off white so maybe little Siamese yeah Be interesting to watch how his color changes

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He’s been taking the “bottle” (syringe) very well About 3ml every time, he’s up to 96g now, peeing good, no poo yet makes me a bit nervous. When I put him back in his er.. cage.? Idk what to call it 😅 anyway I put him back and he seems a bit restless at first and will cry out once or twice before going back to sleep. Anything I can do to help him.? He has a snuggle puppy with a heartbeat and a rice sock to stimulate a baby, I thought about getting some socks meant for infants and making little ones his size, is that completely insane? 🤣 I’m trying to make him as comfortable as possible
warm and fed.

I can’t get over how identical he is to soup.. bright red nose and all.. it was bittersweet to fully see him when I picked him up I realized he looked just like soup, maybe his name will be soup related or something in soup lol, however this little one came to be, I’m very grateful to be apart of it :)

He does seem a bit off white so maybe little Siamese yeah Be interesting to watch how his color changes
The heroes and saints of our days, are the ukrainians. Thus, ukrainian borscht / borstj (spelling may vary, because its the typical pronounciation which is important). In short, borscht / barszcz in polish...

I love this with both stuffed animal companion, and a warm rice sock... :)

Next try to get out a poo, is using a trick with warm water. Our long standing forumite Catwoman707 was an advocate of this method.

You lay kitten on your hand - if you wish on a rough textile, so it wont slide off... Rear end out.
You hold the hand with kitten under warm running water - warmer than luke warm for you, but nowhere hot...
And you tap with forefinger of the other hand on the rear end.... It feels as mommas licking.
Warm water causes the muscle tension to relax...

Afterwards you of course dry off, etc...

A couple of drops of virigin olive oil into the food may also be very useful.

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
The heroes and saints of our days, are the ukrainians. Thus, ukrainian borscht / borstj (spelling may vary, because its the typical pronounciation which is important). In short, borscht / barszcz in polish...

I love this with both stuffed animal companion, and a warm rice sock... :)

Next try to get out a poo, is using a trick with warm water. Our long standing forumite Catwoman707 was an advocate of this method.

You lay kitten on your hand - if you wish on a rough textile, so it wont slide off... Rear end out.
You hold the hand with kitten under warm running water - warmer than luke warm for you, but nowhere hot...
And you tap with forefinger of the other hand on the rear end.... It feels as mommas licking.
Warm water causes the muscle tension to relax...

Afterwards you of course dry off, etc...

A couple of drops of virigin olive oil into the food may also be very useful.
We have poo!! Haha 😂 he went around 10 and a little more just now at 12 his poo is pretty stiff, and a bit orangy. Stained his bottom yellow.. kind of paranoid because it’s similar staining to what soup’s bottom looked like except his was like a jelly goo. This little ones poo is mostly brown stiff but orange stuff in it like he’s had pumpkin or something. His bottom also seems a little inflamed, think I should set him up for a vet apt to check him out ?

He’s now 99g still very active, and responsive for me.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So he was a little constipated. The ideal consistency of kitten poo is tooth paste consistency.... The poo may be yellow.

If they vet is used to small kittens it may be good to let him check out, but observe, many vets arent used...
Unless they work much with breeders and with rescuers.

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
So he was a little constipated. The ideal consistency of kitten poo is tooth paste consistency.... The poo may be yellow.

If they vet is used to small kittens it may be good to let him check out, but observe, many vets arent used...
Unless they work much with breeders and with rescuers.
TW poop

He finally passed the really hard poo, this is more what it’s looking like now.. does it look normal for a kitten? It’s pretty messy

does his formula need to be watered down?

I also decided on a name for him, August. Gus, Auggie, and Gus Gus for short all his little nicknames 😂

Gus is now 101g as of his 10pm feeding 🙂

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep the formula along the recipe.

Nay, if you think he needs more water, its prob better to give some few drops of water inbetween the feedings, than diluting extra his food. He does needs the nutrients and calories.

Although, you could mix it with pedialyte instead of common water... Pedialyte contains some glucose sugar, ie contains some calories for free... THIS way, you can dilute a little more than in the recipe...

Otherwise, if the poo is too hard, you can try with a couple of drops of virgin olive oil with the kmr... It softens up...
Almost any oil works, but virgin olive oil is nourishing and healthy by itself.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the poop looks normal. I agree with StefanZ StefanZ comments. Pedialyte (unflavored) instead of water mixed with the powder is best. Do not dilute. Kittens need full nutrition.

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, the poop looks normal. I agree with StefanZ StefanZ comments. Pedialyte (unflavored) instead of water mixed with the powder is best. Do not dilute. Kittens need full nutrition.

Can Gus have straight pedialyte ? Im using the pre mixed pet ag kmr, its what i was already using for puddles,

gussy is now 108 g as of is 2pm feeding his poo has gotten a Bit better seems to be going strong !

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can Gus have straight pedialyte ? Im using the pre mixed pet ag kmr, its what i was already using for puddles,

gussy is now 108 g as of is 2pm feeding his poo has gotten a Bit better seems to be going strong !
If premixed works well for you, continue with that.
But many of our forumites reports the powdered KMR is more reliable and causes less problems... So that is why we discuss if to mix it out and how much...

Im not sure what you mean by straight pedialyte.... We recommend unflavored pedialyte for children, it works well for cats too...

In an emergency (say cold kitten or very weak kitten where digestion has stopped) its possible to keep a kitten or cat alive even several days on just pedialyte... Because it contains some glucose sugar... It wont grow, but it will endure some time, and thus; it may buy time for antibiotica to kick in.

HERE if you use premixed kmr, you can add a few drops of pedialyte; because it does contain some glucose and thus, the netto inhold of calories should be the same, but kitten gets more fluid...

Observe; this constipation CAN be caused by this premixed KMR...

Another alternative, if you find powdered KMR too costly, may be goats milk... Raw goats milk is pricey, but full fat goats milk from the shop should be OK.
Why, we had even forumites whom raised several batches of orphans on Meyenbergs powdered goats milk...

A daily raise of 10+ grammes is good... Its quite common its more, but shouldnt be much less, perhaps occasionally but not as a rule.

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TW poop

He finally passed the really hard poo, this is more what it’s looking like now.. does it look normal for a kitten? It’s pretty messy

does his formula need to be watered down?

I also decided on a name for him, August. Gus, Auggie, and Gus Gus for short all his little nicknames 😂

Gus is now 101g as of his 10pm feeding 🙂
I have only 5 days experience hand rearing kittens so cannot give advice, but I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited to see a poop picture lol.

I have 2, 5 day old kittens (that look nearly identical to Gus by the way!) Their poop looks the same if it brings you any comfort. I was so worried about it and had a similar issue where they seemed to be constipated for 48hrs but now are having more frequent movements like this! Same colour, mine is maybe slightly thicker texture. What are you feeding them?

Attachments

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
I have only 5 days experience hand rearing kittens so cannot give advice, but I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited to see a poop picture lol.

I have 2, 5 day old kittens (that look nearly identical to Gus by the way!) Their poop looks the same if it brings you any comfort. I was so worried about it and had a similar issue where they seemed to be constipated for 48hrs but now are having more frequent movements like this! Same colour, mine is maybe slightly thicker texture. What are you feeding them?
The are so precious 🥹

I’m using the liquid Pet Ag Kmr (the premixed )

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a bit of concern for gussy’s belly it’s kinda.. vainy? Is it because he’s started gaining weight or is he gassy I burp him after each feeding is there anything I can do to relieve the possible gassiness ?
He’s 118g now

should a vet look at him?

Attachments

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The are so precious 🥹

I’m using the liquid Pet Ag Kmr (the premixed )
Thank you! So is Gus!! They can be internet siblings haha.

I was giving the premixed KMR but their poops seemed too runny and feared dehydration :( Then powder KMR didn’t mix up very well, there were always powder residue no matter how much I diluted it or how warm I mixed! Bad constipation and gas bloat.

I’ve since changed to a powder called Grober Pets-KittenGro and their tummies seem to be doing better on it so far :) not constipated, and less runny. It is Canadian, so not sure if you can access it, just wanted to share my experience with both of the KMR!

catmom102618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a bit of concern for gussy’s belly it’s kinda.. vainy? Is it because he’s started gaining weight or is he gassy I burp him after each feeding is there anything I can do to relieve the possible gassiness ?
He’s 118g now

should a vet look at him?
Does the belly seem hard at all? As mine are gaining weight they are more of an avocado shape, not so much “pot belly”. Think growing out the sides :) And bellies are squishy. They were more firm and round out front (like Gus) when they were constipated and bloated from the formula.

Not sure about the veins! Mine have a few visible so I think it’s the thin newborn skin. Maybe someone else knows more.

I brought mine to vet for 1 week checkup today and although my vet supports a rescue and sees neonatal kittens regularly, there is not much they can do for them at all at this age and many aren’t very educated on them from what I’ve heard.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's so lucky to have found you out of all people.

My 10-year-old cat Willy randomly showed up on my doorstep when very young, very skinny, and very sick (he was older than a kitten, but still very young). It was almost like he could sense the right home to go to, as there was no way I could not care for him and live with myself after.

You sound like you are doing a great job taking care of this kitten.

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
Does the belly seem hard at all? As mine are gaining weight they are more of an avocado shape, not so much “pot belly”. Think growing out the sides :) And bellies are squishy. They were more firm and round out front (like Gus) when they were constipated and bloated from the formula.

Not sure about the veins! Mine have a few visible so I think it’s the thin newborn skin. Maybe someone else knows more.
I brought mine to vet for 1 week checkup today and although my vet supports a rescue and sees neonatal kittens regularly, there is not much they can do for them at all at this age and many aren’t very educated on them from what I’ve heard.
Okay so gussy’s belly is very round, it’s squishy on the side but maybe a little harder near the genitals, I noticed this morning when his umbilical cord fell off it left kinda.. an outie.? And now it’s a bit bigger.. is there something wrong with his “belly button” could it be an umbilical hernia.? I know not a lot of vets deal with neonatals this small but would it be worth a trip?

Anyone have a similar experience? I’m gonna call around tomorrow to see who can get him in..
The first pic is his belly this morning and the second was taken at 10pm

Hers pics of belly and stool,
I also wanted to add updated pics of him

Attachments