Newborn kitten, please help

missy123456

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat gave birth to 5 kittens today. However the third one born looks like he has been having difficulty breathing. When he was first born he was taking long hard breathes and hasn't yet latched on to mum to feed. I called the vets and they were quite useless in giving me any kind of advice. Their response was basically if the kitten hasn't fed within a couple of hours, they usually don't survive. I tried putting a cotton bud in his mouth that had been dabbed in kitten milk, but it's really hard to get his mouth open. I don't want to use too much force... When he breathes, he's makes a noise. Does anyone have any advice they can offer please until I can call a different vets tomorrow.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Unfortunately, it sounds like he may have inhaled amniotic fluid into his lungs during the birthing process. This causes pneumonia, which is usually the kiss of death in tiny kittens.

Your only hope is to get him on an antibiotic and possibly a steroid ASAP to see if he can pull through. He is probably in pain when he tries to breathe and will not nurse in this condition, so unless you can get immediate medical help for him he will die a slow, painful death. Your other option is to have him humanely euthanized ASAP.

I’m so sorry.

Can you do one or the other?

M missy123456

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi, my cat gave birth to 5 kittens today. However the third one born looks like he has been having difficulty breathing. When he was first born he was taking long hard breathes and hasn't yet latched on to mum to feed. I called the vets and they were quite useless in giving me any kind of advice. Their response was basically if the kitten hasn't fed within a couple of hours, they usually don't survive. I tried putting a cotton bud in his mouth that had been dabbed in kitten milk, but it's really hard to get his mouth open. I don't want to use too much force... When he breathes, he's makes a noise. Does anyone have any advice they can offer please until I can call a different vets tomorrow.
I second SArthur above. Its sometimes possible to suck out fluids from the mouth and lungs, buy you must be prepared and do it immediately. Now he seems to be in big trouble, where the feeding itself is just a part of the problem.

Re the self survival as such, its not THAT great a hurry for beginning to suckle immediately. Although kittens whom dont eat soon enough, usually have problems....
Anyway try with another vet if he is still alive and you want to fight on.

During the time, you can put a droplet of white caro syrup or honey on his gom, it gives some energhy. Also, some of this sugar source mixed in water. Its easier to swallow than kmr.
Its no nourishment, but its possible to survive on this a couple of days.

Observe, this is only if you want him to survive, or wait for the veterinary appointment.

If you dont do neither, dont do this sugar theraphy. It just prolonges his dying labor...

Im sorry you and the kitten are going through this.