Newborn kitten help!

Kittycat12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took in 3,3 day old orphan kittens 2 days ago, they are all doing well except I notice when I feed them 2 of them sound like they have milk in there lungs for about 3 minutes. At first I thought they were purring
Then I noticed it wasn’t. So I started trying to feed them a couple drops at a time and the stoped doing it, well today one started chugging it down and started doing the sound again it’s fine now but I was worried. Do you think it’s just because they eat to fats or could it be pneumonia?

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would think if it was pneumonia, they would be decompensating very quickly. Otherwise do they seem well and active? Nose and eyes dry? (As active as a 3 day old kitten is anyway). are you using a kitten nursing bottle? The hole in the nipple may be too big. What position are they in when they eat? They should be upright or on their stomach. Are you stimulating them to urinate and defecate? I don’t know what your experience is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittycat12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would think if it was pneumonia, they would be decompensating very quickly. Otherwise do they seem well and active? Nose and eyes dry? (As active as a 3 day old kitten is anyway). are you using a kitten nursing bottle? The hole in the nipple may be too big. What position are they in when they eat? They should be upright or on their stomach. Are you stimulating them to urinate and defecate? I don’t know what your experience is.
I have bottle fed about 50 kittens so I’m pretty confident in what I do but then sometimes I’m like am I doing it wrong? I’m going to change the nipple and see what happens. The nose and eyes are dry and they are very active for there age. it’s just when they eat it happens and scares me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you suspect pneumonia, get them vet checked immediately. Vet with a stethoscope can listen if the lungs are clear or congested. Cure is antibiotics. In the meantime, feed slowly with a small hole in the nipple.