Newborn kitten disease

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also my newborn kittens are somewhat more antisocial and slow developing than my previous litter.. One of the kittens hissed at me when I tried to touch her and all of them are still wobbly on their feet and stays in their nesting box rather than explore outside

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Help.. One of my kitten is letting off yellow discharge from its anus. She was fine until yesterday but she started having yellow discharge since this afternoon..
What might be wrong with her?
Other kittens are fine and all of them seem to be normal, like playing and nursing well
Should I separate her from other kittens?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Help.. One of my kitten is letting off yellow discharge from its anus. She was fine until yesterday but she started having yellow discharge since this afternoon..
What might be wrong with her?
Other kittens are fine and all of them seem to be normal, like playing and nursing well
Should I separate her from other kittens?
Yes, I think its wise to separate her till you know what it is. Although its probably too late, if its contagious the others probably got it...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What it is? hopefully "just" a diarrhea. Could be some microorganism / parasite.

Had anything unusual happened the latest days, where they could get a parasite not previously in home??

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What it is? hopefully "just" a diarrhea. Could be some microorganism / parasite.

Had anything unusual happened the latest days, where they could get a parasite not previously in home??
No they've only stayed indoors and diarrhea? They only drink milk.. how could she get a diarrhea?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you post a picture of the yellow discharge?

It could be a couple of different things.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kitten poop on mom’s milk tends to be pale yellow. It could be that mom hasn’t cleaned this kitten’s bottom recently, and it especially shows because the kitten’s fur is so white. You can clean the bottom with a warm damp wash cloth.

Keep an eye out though because the other cause could be coccidia, which is a parasite. If it’s coccidia they are getting it from mom and they’ll all get it. But I think right now it’s just poop.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is letting off discharge involuntarily. Right now all kittens are urinating inside litterbox and the one with discharge also uses litterbox. It is not urine because sticky dark yellow stuff keeps coming out from her bottom and she urinates liquid separately inside the litterbox
Could it be internal infection? And it is definitely not diarrhea from overfeeding on milk? Could it be internal blockage? Because I saw some kittens playing with recycled litter with their mouth
If it is parasite, the only source of parasite is fleas because flea got reinfested and even though I flea comb them everyday it is hard to get rid of them completely.
Seeing that other kittens are still fine even though the sick one was like this since yesterday looks like it is not infectious?

Her anus is very inflammed and there's no fur around it
20220124_085859.jpg

Also when I wipe with wet tissue it comes off in this color
20220124_085747.jpg

Its hard to wipe it off and it has hint of smell of urine and smells like blood in some way
If it is diarrhea shouldnt it smell like poo?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it is poop and she may have coccidia. This will require a prescription of Albon to cure, or it may just be a bacterial infection in her intestines. Clavamox or metronidazole would treat that. Both are prescription.

Parasites are not from fleas. Fleas cause tapeworms.

At any rate, the kitten needs to see a vet as soon as possible and get treated for this. In the meantime, keep her bottom clean and apply coconut oil or vaseline to keep her bottom from getting burned.

Can you get her to a vet tomorrow? She’s suffering.
S skrumtuoscatlayd

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it is poop and she may have coccidia. This will require a prescription of Albon to cure, or it may just be a bacterial infection in her intestines. Clavamox or metronidazole would treat that. Both are prescription.

Parasites are not from fleas. Fleas cause tapeworms.

At any rate, the kitten needs to see a vet as soon as possible and get treated for this. In the meantime, keep her bottom clean and apply coconut oil or vaseline to keep her bottom from getting burned.

Can you get her to a vet tomorrow? She’s suffering.
S skrumtuoscatlayd
Would amoxicilin work? Also she is playing and eating fine so I'm not sure if she is feeling ill but the discharge looks quite serious and it gets on other kittens as well
If I apply vaseline, I'm afeaid momma cat will lick it while cleaning her.. do you still think its ok?

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nevermind it was a poo indeed. Her bottom is now as clean as before
20220124_213515.jpg

Momma cat cleaned her so I didn't need to wash her
I hope it does not reoccur though.. btw the one who was letting off discharge ate her first solid food today
I am not sure if she's ready to eat kibbles but she voluntarily ate quite amount of kibbles on her own
She must have been hungry
She was the first one to open her eyes, first to walk and first to eat!

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just wondering what color my kitten will be..
Some started changing color but the female who opened her eyes a week earlier than others is still bluish
Is she going to be blue eyed?
The first picture is the one I think has blue eye and below is the other white kitten that started changing color
20220202_162837.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are usually baby blue several weeks after they opened their eyes. So its too early to know.

Still, being all white(?) the probablility is quite high they will be blue eyed as adults too. If they are creme points (ie barely visible they are points), they will be 100% sure blue eyed.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are usually baby blue several weeks after they opened their eyes. So its too early to know.

Still, being all white(?) the probablility is quite high they will be blue eyed as adults too. If they are creme points (ie barely visible they are points), they will be 100% sure blue eyed.
I have a only boy kitten of the litter that has near no marking on its head
its eye changed color too but its more lighter blue and it seem to not react much when I wave string in front of him as other kittens which means he may be blind (?)
His eyes are like (top picture) this compared to other kitten whom I think definitly has yellow eye
20220202_185643.jpg

I think you are quite right when you said cream points are likely be blue eyed as my odd eyed girl in the last litter was the only one without marking on the head and here he has no marking either
However the girl I thought might have blue eye has the biggest marking so not sure if she'll be blue eyed

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When they has recently opened eyes, they often have difficult to focus and such. So him not reacting much to the string doesnt need to tell much as yet. The girl is perhaps quicker in her brain development, and he is a little slow??

Anyways, its an adventure to follow them and their development! A gift. :)