Newborn kitten disease

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. The mom cat recovered and isn't letting off any discharge and kittens are already 210g in weight. Maybe they are growing faster because its hotter than in august here
Still eyes closed but they look healthy
I use exelpet because it had worked for me in the past and all my cats didn't get any side effects from them. I can also get them easily off supermarket so.. I think reinfestation is due to flea ingestion than the product not working
However upon checking all my cats faeces for the past 3 days I didn't find any tapeworm segments, certainly not from the mom cat. Recently my sisters adopted a kitten of her own and she has fleas as well and could possibly have a tapeworm but she told me her kitten don't have any tapeworm segments in the faeces either
Maybe I've mistaken a maggot for tapeworm? I don't know.. Its hot season here and all sorts of bugs and insects proliferates here

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update! I am happy & relieved that things are going well. Please keep us updated! We love hearing about little kittens & their moms. Many of us here do TNR which includes spay/abort - it's much more merciful in the end than having over 70% of the litters not seeing their 1st birthday. Like any type of flood, be it water or unwanted litters, the best solution is to "turn off the faucet". It's still 32F here so not too cold but definitely winter!
And Happy New Year 2022 :party2::beerchug::dazzler::party3::clapcat::banana1:

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update! I am happy & relieved that things are going well. Please keep us updated! We love hearing about little kittens & their moms. Many of us here do TNR which includes spay/abort - it's much more merciful in the end than having over 70% of the litters not seeing their 1st birthday. Like any type of flood, be it water or unwanted litters, the best solution is to "turn off the faucet". It's still 32F here so not too cold but definitely winter!
And Happy New Year 2022 :party2::beerchug::dazzler::party3::clapcat::banana1:
Happy new years to you too!
I will certainly neuter my female cat after this litter as cats and kittens are overflowing where I'm living these days (almost quadruple amount compared to when I had last litter)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great to hear you’ll be desexing but please do all the cats not just this particular female , you may qualify for help with the NDN or some local council schemes, make enquires asap to find out and get on the list if you qualify.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok I'll start looking for thise schemes. But I feel sad to make her unable to bear kittens anymore as she seems happiest when nursing her babies. She's seriously a born mother. She talks to her babies, come running whenever her babies whine from a distance. There was time when I couldn't really understand her and worried if she would be able to nurse her 2nd litter because as soon as she got pregnant again she used to hiss and growl at her favourite kitten from last litter which I left just for her sake but close to giving birth she changed and was nice to her favourite kitten again and with new litter of babies she's such an angel

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok I'll start looking for thise schemes. But I feel sad to make her unable to bear kittens anymore as she seems happiest when nursing her babies. She's seriously a born mother. She talks to her babies, come running whenever her babies whine from a distance. There was time when I couldn't really understand her and worried if she would be able to nurse her 2nd litter because as soon as she got pregnant again she used to hiss and growl at her favourite kitten from last litter which I left just for her sake but close to giving birth she changed and was nice to her favourite kitten again and with new litter of babies she's such an angel
If you ever will be doing fostering, perhaps with cooperation of some local shelter, she will be a very good "asset". Her caretaking instinct will almost surely kick in also to fosters.
Why, its not impossible even her milk will kick in, although she is spayed. The probability is quite high, as she had milk and kittens earlier.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats instinctively nurture their young, but it is absolutely not healthy when they have litter after litter because they do not get spayed. Unspayed females are at great risk for uterine and mammary cancer.

Unchecked breeding has produced the overflow of more intact cats left to breed in your area. Please see that this mother cat and both litters she has produced all get spayed and neutered.

If you give us your city and state or country, we can search for low-cost spay / neuter clinics in your area.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please get mama kitty spayed soon! Almost all cat moms are good mothers but there are too many dangers with breeding, both for the mother cat and the kittens. Plus, with each litter, cats get a greater risk of getting breast cancer which is way worse for cats than it is for humans. Although humans who nurse seem to have lower rates of breast cancer, the opposite is true for cats and dogs; maybe it's because people are designed to have only one or two babies at a time instead of whole litters.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright I will get her spayed. So far she's doing ok. This morning she tried to move one of her kitten to another box and nurse separately but as kitten kept crying I removed the box and she just nursed them altogether in original nesting box. The kitten is 270g now and one of the kitten fully opened its eyes. The rest is still closed not even opened halfway.
But that's that, my male cat is not back from outside til now when its 10.54pm and its raining. He's never been outside for this long time..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is your male cat neutered? They roam much more if not neutered. If he is not neutered, please keep him separate from your mother cat until she is spayed and he is neutered.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not spayed yet but he never not come home until it got dark but he's not home even though its almost midnight here.. I worry about him

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: It's very distressing to have a cat outside at night, especially if they have been good at coming in. The most probable scenario is that there is a female in heat out there and he has gone in search of her. They can smell the pheromones from a great distance. Once outside, he may have decided that it is raining too hard to find his way home and is going to hunker down instead.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really hope that is the case.. When he's been absent for more than 24 hour few month ago and he come back the next afternoon. I hope this time he come back around same time as well

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you contact the NDN or your vet in regards to desexing everyone also ask about hiring a trap to TNR the overflow of kittens you’ve complained about that your boy is out there contributing to. They may also be able to recommend a local rescue to assist.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I meant number of kittens and cats on rehoming ad website. Cats are pretty rare on my neighbourhood as local council already took care of them couple years ago
Ths sun is out but my boy hasn't still comeback..
What if he's trapped somewhere or worse injured so cna't come home?

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you keep him in until he is neutered when he comes back?
No.. he is very vocal and is a cat who gets what he wants
I tried ignoring him but he kept scratching stuffa round window to grab my attention
Also he is toileting fully outside these days

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can and absolutely should keep him inside. It's deeply irresponsible to allow an intact male to roam, both for his own health and for that of any female cats in the neighborhood (just because you don't see them doesn't mean they're not there...they probably come out at night), not to mention the devastating effects on the ecosystem. Australia in particular is cracking down hard on stray/feral cats because of all the damage they've done to local wildlife; what are your plans if they start culling in your area? Would you really just risk him being killed because he complains too much if kept indoors?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Male cats who are intact can travel for miles and be gone for days when they are trying to mate with female cats in their estrus cycle.

Once he’s back set a neuter appointment and contain him until it’s done. This would not be happening if he’d been neutered before he matured sexually. Get your male kittens neutered before 6 months and this will never be an issue.