Newborn kitten disease

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
My female cat gave birth today after 70 days but one of the kitten was born surroumded by foul smelling green stuff with black dirt
20211227_100140.jpg

Does anyone know what this is?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Foul-smelling and green implies infection. Have you washed him off? How is his health otherwise? Seems the infection was on the outside, so a clean-up would seem to be in order.

I'd take him to the vet as soon as you can get in. Mom too--she might have the infection, since it seemed to be on the kitten's outside. For that matter, a visit by the whole bunch of 'em wouldn't be a bad idea.

Is he nursing? Weigh him and supplement if he doesn't start gaining (recommended gain is 10 grams/day or more).

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like meconium staining with the yellow tint and black pieces. If the kitten was stressed during delivery it may have opened its bowels.
Have you suctioned out the mouth and done the accordion method to clear the lungs? Ideally done right at birth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks like meconium staining with the yellow tint and black pieces. If the kitten was stressed during delivery it may have opened its bowels.
Have you suctioned out the mouth and done the accordion method to clear the lungs? Ideally done right at birth.
I don't know what you mean by accordion method but I washed all of them off with clean water and they were nursing well after birth.. All of them surprisingly were all over 100g in weight, most in 110-125g range

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kittens are nursing well and seem to be gaining 20g steadily each day but the mother is still having bloody discharge. The discharge isnt so bloody as first day but she keeps letting off watery discharge with tinge of blood in it from her anus
I don't know if its retained placenta or something else but she seems uncomfortable when at rest. She is nursing the kittens and is eating well otherwise

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok I will. This morning she wheezed real hard for few seconds so I think I better ask the vet. But I have another problem. There was tapeworm infection previous her giving birth and this morning I discovered another tapeworm crawling on the floor! The thing is I don't know who its from but its likely be from kitten from her previous litter. What should I do? I already treated everyone for tapeworm couple weeks ago, and don't like the idea of treating them so often

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Spotting blood from the vagina is normal for a cat for 7-10 days after giving birth, but this sounds like your cat has worms and perhaps intestinal bacterial infection. She may need a round of metronidazole or other meds.

It is imperative that you get her seen and treated by a vet immediately. Her health and ability to care for her kittens is compromised.

Worms need treating twice about 7-10 days apart to cover the life cycle. A bad infestation may need even more treatment. You treat all cats and kittens for worms until they are gone.

What worm medication are you using?

How old are the kittens from her previous litter? They need to be spayed and neutered also.
S skrumtuoscatlayd

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
20211231_063430.jpg

I called the vet but they told me they have to look at her to know what is wrong with her but I can't take take her to the vet right now. I discovered this kind of discharge this morning.
I treated all my cats with exelpet tapeworm/roundworm tablet which contains 25mg praziquant, 100mg pyranrel embonate. They were not visible for few weeks after administration but I think the kitten has swallowed fleas or its eggs while grooming and got reinfested
Mom cat is still eating and nursing fine and kittens are all gaining 20g daily so not sure. Should I watch her for few more days?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She needs to be seen. The discharge is concerning. I hope you can find a way to get her seen by the vet.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exelpet is not a reputable worming brand, you need to go online or a pet store not the supermarket wormers. Get Milbemax, Drontal or Profender.

the creamy discharge is not normal, find a way to either get to the vet or call a mobile vet to come to you.

Get all the cats and kittens booked into be neutered too, you need to stop breeding all these litters of moggies especially when ignoring their health and all state laws regarding breeding.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
View attachment 406020
I called the vet but they told me they have to look at her to know what is wrong with her but I can't take take her to the vet right now. I discovered this kind of discharge this morning.
I treated all my cats with exelpet tapeworm/roundworm tablet which contains 25mg praziquant, 100mg pyranrel embonate. They were not visible for few weeks after administration but I think the kitten has swallowed fleas or its eggs while grooming and got reinfested
Mom cat is still eating and nursing fine and kittens are all gaining 20g daily so not sure. Should I watch her for few more days?
I dont know the reputation of exelpet (but another forumist knew the reputations wasnt good). The active substances as such, are the usual, and should help both for tapeworms and roundworms. But get home some of the reputable dewormers and use them next time.

Its common a deworming must be redone after a couple of weeks. Also, its possible they got reinfested, as you mention. Especielly if there ARE fleas around...

20g gain a day is good, so they may be considered healthy for most practical reasons, unless you see some warning signs.

Momma... Even if she apparently has plenty of milk for them, and thus, whatever it is, ist not immediately crash emergency, but she isnt out of the woods. So beware.

Goats milk is almost always an useful supplement for all life stages / emergency kitten milk. Use raw goats milk if you can get it.