Newbie with cats

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I meant what type injection was given? Was it a rabies or other vaccine? Vaccines can cause reactions in kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I meant what type injection was given? Was it a rabies or other vaccine? Vaccines can cause reactions in kittens.
Hi, so sorry for the delay! It's probably an antibiotic shot (or something to help with bringing his temp down). No vaccines as they're all given their shots and their next is in April. All of them are doing well and so relieved they're all spayed/neutered.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am curious, however, from the feeding guide on the packaging of the cat food that I buy, it says they should be fed about 70g to 100g (2.5 to 3.5oz) per day. However, they just don't eat that much and I estimate their usual amount to be about 1.8oz/50g.

So I increased the amount of their food for the past few days and noticed that my male kitten isn't as active/lack of interest as he normally is. (His poop is a little soft but I had used Advocate/Advantage Multi about 3 days ago so it shouldn't be intestinal worms and given Vetri Science DMG every day since his lung thing which he has recovered completely from.) I wonder if it's the increase in the food?

They have been spayed/neutered but one TCS member mentioned that they're still growing and will need the nutrients despite being spayed so is it the food? Boredom? Something else?

I'm also looking at toys (Catit brands, sticks for them to play hunt and etc) as a lot of them are out of commission :lol:

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Turns out the male kitten has an ear infection (green discharge, according to the vet but there wasn't any visible discharge or odour before) besides the itchy ears.

He's given an injection and oral medications (tomorrow is his last round of meds). Will check with the vet if a follow-up is needed and proceed accordingly.
I'll also try to clean the outer part of their ears to see if it helps (their ears are damp but the two other kittens are still eating normally and active).

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got all three kittens checked and the vet gave the all-clear - was told that the dampness I see in the ears now is the regular kind - just ear wax.

But for some reason, the male kitten just hasn't fully recovered his appetite and just eating minimally. His stool looks scrawny compared to the other two. And lethargic in general (despite seeing him perk up much more after his injection.)

So I am checking with our regular vet clinic whether he had an increase/decrease in weight or it remained the same during his follow-up as he had lost about 150g between his neutering in late Dec 2021 and mid-February 2022 due to the ear infection.

Could it be preferences for food or simply unwell? Nothing of interest to note besides his ears but that's already improving/healing.

Generally, I feed kibble with the occasional wet canned food. However, he currently prefers wet kitten food over kibble and other wet canned food.
[When can I tell that they're eating like an adult or they still have the nutrient requirements of a kitten? They have just turned 10 months old yesterday.]

He did well post-neutering and even after the whole -I don't recognise you- phase with the female kittens.

Also ready to consider an appointment or a walk-in at the alternative (pricier) vet clinic where I took him to get his lungs an x-ray. It just doesn't seem like him to be lethargic like this.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would definitely feed him wet food if that’s what he will eat. Better nutrition and enough to eat should give him more energy. He may just be a laid back cat in personality, but trust your instincts regarding getting him checked out.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would definitely feed him wet food if that’s what he will eat. Better nutrition and enough to eat should give him more energy. He may just be a laid back cat in personality, but trust your instincts regarding getting him checked out.
Thanks, Sarthur2 Sarthur2 . Quickly rushed to the vet for a walk-in (it's a Friday) and the vet checked for any irregular with the lungs and heart, and his ears with his recent infection but nothing seems to be the problem besides a high temp/fever from time to time that subsided with meds. Which already happened in mid January but it hadn't got to this point of losing some weight.

The vet recommended a few things, full panel blood test, testing for FIP or FLV (maybe I misheard some part of this but I know it's checking for some major illness that sometimes only show up as recurring fevers) and/or monitoring at home, alternatively getting him warded.

So we decided on getting him warded to monitor his condition till Monday, run the full panel blood test and testing for the virus.

I suppose there's only good thoughts, prayers and patience for now.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet called back and said his red blood count is low but white and everything looks fine. Tested negative for FIV and FIP.
Still syringe-fed at the moment.
Think they skipped the full panel blood test but we'll see how he responds to meds while being monitored at the clinic.
Will be buying some canned food he prefers tomorrow and passing it to the clinic along with his DMG liquid supplement.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's now back home with me. The vet thinks it could be mycoplasma haemofelis but no jaundice, just pale mucous membrane (gums, ear and etc).
Weight had remained the same throughout his time being warded (Friday > Monday). He eats about a can of kitten food (150g) a day and is prescribed antibiotics, liver supplements and multivitamins for the next 10 days.

Also have to watch out for any panting, gasping for breath as he might need a blood transfusion or colloid - which I'm looking up possible vet clinics/hospitals that can provide this.

Thankfully, despite the 4-day vet stay, the girls recognised him just fine and ate about half a can of kitten food when we got home.
Will need to double-check some details with the clinic tomorrow.

Thinking I might need to put together a rough medical history just to cover my bases if need be (especially, if I have to visit a new vet).

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor guy, he's really been through it all, hasn't he?

Please do start a new thread in Cat Health if you would like more help or support with this. Your posts may get lost in this long thread.
Thanks, I think I might do that.