Newbie with cats

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I didn't notice any significant weight gain with any of my cats until they got to 5 or 6 years old. They have enclosure access so they're pretty active. Having said that, they're all pretty chunky too.

:lol:

Just keep an eye on them and see if their appetite changes or they start to put on weight. I doubt it will suddenly change when they get to a year old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't notice any significant weight gain with any of my cats until they got to 5 or 6 years old. They have enclosure access so they're pretty active. Having said that, they're all pretty chunky too.

:lol:

Just keep an eye on them and see if their appetite changes or they start to put on weight. I doubt it will suddenly change when they get to a year old.
They got a little chunkier and I was worried if they're too thin, especially the girls are smaller, with one being small, then medium (the other female kitten) then my male kitten, biggest among them.

Male kitten is recovering well, still need another day or two for the incision to close completely.

Also got a call this morning from a government vet clinic that it's the two female kittens' turn for neutering, tomorrow. So I'm rushing to get some stuff to prep (onesies for example). Didn't expect to get one neutering done with the two to follow so soon 😆

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep us posted how they all do! Kittens rarely need cones or onesies. I never used either for mine and they were fine and healed very quickly.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep us posted how they all do! Kittens rarely need cones or onesies. I never used either for mine and they were fine and healed very quickly.
I'm glad to hear that! The male kitten definitely needed it (licked till the fur is mostly cleaned off and I didn't want to chance it) and got the female kitten onesies as well.

Gonna read up the post-neutering article(s) because they didn't give me any instructions. And how should their appetite be while the anaesthesia starts to wear off? I worry about them vomiting. (One vomited after some water.)

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male kitten started hissing at me (and my mother) when I tried to look at his incisions in the evening.
I wonder if it's due to the lack of attention from me today (hands full with the female kittens) because he hadn't behaved that way during the afternoon. D:
That's the first time he ever hissed at any of us.

Edit: I just realised that they recognise each other by scent and currently, the girls are quite stinking of medical stuff plus my mum and I were patting them then patted the male kitten - that's when I held my male kitten up for a look at the two other female kittens, he hissed. Ugh.

I'll probably try some damp paper towels tomorrow and see how that goes.

Last edited:

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I checked on them very early in the morning and they were fine. (Ate, drink, peed in the litter box (no stool yet), no vomiting of food except once yesterday. They did vomit some water, I think but probably passed since they peed?)

However, it was about a little before noon that something didn't look quite right.

The bigger female kitten looks a little strained, her breathing. I thought it might be hot and turned up the fan but no difference despite air being cool.

When I touched them, they felt warm and a little dazed* (reminded me of the sick kitten who had high temp and left us) so brought them inside and have them in a cool, well ventilated space.

I included a cooling pad for the bigger kitten, both given constant water (via syringe) every 10 minutes plus some DMG liquid supplement.

Gonna continue the glucose water until they look a little more better.

The smaller female kitten has been talking a bit (not sure why!) - either she wants to be with the bigger female kitten but I can't let her do that because the carrier can't fit two of them comfortably or is it something else.

My regular vet is unable to take more walk-ins tomorrow (Friday) (as many promised to come) but can try on Saturday.

Terribly upset at the turn of events as they called to move up 1 of the 2 neutering appointments the day their procedure was done (originally scheduled for April) and the kittens could have gotten better care than this, in hindsight.

I don't see anything untoward on their stitches, no oozing. So wonder if it's internal or it'll pass with some good care. Sighs.

Edit: my smaller female kitten is also kneading the bigger female kitten. Is there a reason for that?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They sound feverish. Do try to get them looked at.

Kneading is done to comfort oneself.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They sound feverish. Do try to get them looked at.

Kneading is done to comfort oneself.
Will do. I'm terribly worried about another repeat (of what happened to the other male kitten who passed away).

Did not grab a photo of the stitches but it looked like a lump (it wasn't like this yesterday) but understandably, it could be seromas. Though I cannot tell if there is some liquid oozing out later in the day (it hadn't yesterday; today: I did see small patches of yellow but is it iodine or pus? - I'm unable to tell).
There was some tussling involved today and happened to tug at both kittens' stitches slightly.

Not much change despite several hours of glucose water/pedialyte but at least they're hydrated. The smaller female kitten was less feverish and could eat but not the bigger kitten.

Will get them some immediate treatment first thing tomorrow and then seek our regular vet's opinion on Saturday if it comes down to it.

And thank you, the female kittens are rather attached to each other at the moment (they weren't this close before). I tried putting them into separate carriers but the smaller kitten is always calling out/vocalising to me about "wanting to join" the bigger kitten.

Hope they get well soon when we get to the vet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is not uncommon for there to be a lump next to the female kitten’s incision. It will go away in time.

If they are not eating and drinking on their own they are definitely not feeling well. It is not normal for kittens to feel poorly after spay surgery, so something is not right. Do you know if they each received a pain shot? Were they given any vaccinations?

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is not uncommon for there to be a lump next to the female kitten’s incision. It will go away in time.

If they are not eating and drinking on their own they are definitely not feeling well. It is not normal for kittens to feel poorly after spay surgery, so something is not right. Do you know if they each received a pain shot? Were they given any vaccinations?
They completed 3 vaccination shots back in November and the next is due in April (when they turn 1).
Someone at the desk [the place was closed when I got there to pick them up] mentioned medications being administered, however, no other details were given.

Yesterday, the smaller kitten was pretty dazed (staggering while walking, staring off into space) until late evening when the anaesthesia finally wore off but the bigger kitten was much *more lucid when I picked them up. Wonder if it's related to their dosing?

If I manage to secure a place (they only handle max. 15 patrons a day, a major headache especially on a Friday), I'll make sure to ask what exactly was administered.

Side-note: I did field some questions to a different (private) vet clinic about what anaesthesia they would provide (gas, injection) and whether there is pain meds/pain management but they didn't reply. I assume they didn't like what I was asking.

Last edited:

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Early morning update: they look much better (were awake, moving around; bigger kitten is not listless - thank goodness) but still slightly feverish.
Got a spot at the clinic and they gave antibiotics, medication for the fever and multivitamin liquid supplement for the symptoms that I told them. At my request, they looked at the stitches and said it looks normal.

For now, I'll just administer the meds and hold on to the supplement.
The vet that dealt with my case was not the same one who did the neutering so there wasn't a chance to ask about what they provided the kittens for the procedure [quite in a hurry to settle my case and move on to another].

I asked about their feverish state and was also told: "it's normal". If they provided additional meds after the neutering for 'just in case' and being made aware of it in the first place, I wouldn't be losing my mind. (shakes head)

Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope the kitten improves. Glad you had them seen and keep us posted. Is it just one kitten having problems now - not both?

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope the kitten improves. Glad you had them seen and keep us posted. Is it just one kitten having problems now - not both?
Thank you and will do.
I brought both just to be safe. The smaller one is less affected by the fever but thought it better to have their stitches checked as well.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Saturday update!

Brought all the kittens to our regular vet. The temperature for the female kittens was normal and was advised to continue with the prescribed meds from yesterday. However, the male kitten (recently neutered) had a high temp so he's given some immune-strengthening tablets.

(Tried an e-collar on the bigger female kitten and she hated it, smaller kitten tried to get her out of it; ended up putting onesies on them as the threads all came off. Vet said it's healing okay but crucial for the bigger kitten to not lick the incisions.

Was also told that it could be the less-than-sterile conditions that might have given the female kittens a fever but at least they are no longer listless, eating and drinking and have bowel movements.)

Am wondering, if the male kitten doesn't recognise both female kittens, would this eventually resolve itself or do I need some additional help (Feliway for instance) to help them along?

I'm just rather alarmed and didn't expect it to go like this seeing as it's a same-day procedure (avoided wiping them as they're just out of surgery on Day 1) but yeah, I'm just stumped at how to deal with this.:sickcat:

(Male kitten also growled and hiss when I put him into one of the carriers that I used for the female kittens.:help:)

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They smell foreign odors from the vet right now. It will dissipate and not be an issue in coming days.
Noted! It's day 5 today and the hissing, growling continues (lesser! but still there). Will see how it goes in the next few days.
The female kittens manage to escape-artist their way out of the onesies but back into it to make sure the incisions heals.

However, male kitten started looking listless, feels warm to touch so I'm starting some pedialyte. Gave some paste for him to eat and need to restock that D:
Wonder if the fever is stress-induced :frown: The vet gave an injection on top of the supplement so this feels rather odd.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What was the injection?
The same day as the visit to our regular vet. I had my mother check them in the evening and turns out they were fine (maybe I'M the one under the weather).

I do believe that my male kitten is stressed (change in behaviour) from the appearance of the female kittens (littermates). He relents at
letting the bigger female kitten lick him but he is still uncomfortable and seeks other places of refuge instead.

Anyhow, the incisions on the female kittens are trying to close up but with their pent-up energy, I have to let them walk it off instead of keeping them enclosed. (One of them gave me a scratch, ouch.)

(I realise I'm quite becoming a mother hen :sweat:)