Newbie with cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you think he aspirated fluid into his lungs? If so, get him going on antibiotics as soon as possible to avoid pneumonia.

Be very careful syringing. They need small amounts, time to swallow and breathe, then go again.

I’m delighted to hear they are all hanging in there. Keep us posted.
I'm looking it up and I think he managed to sneeze it out (hence the nasal discharge). He also has an appetite today (after so long! Touch wood) and eating a little on his own.
Will keep up the sitting-up posture and be careful during any syringe-feeding.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 My mind's very addled at the moment so could you tell me if the best position to syringe-feed be for them to be lying on their back, belly up (but not flat, cradled in my arm)?

Sorry, I'm just really out of my wits worrying about Panleukopenia, pneumonia and asphyxiated lungs.

All four are doing good, the most affected kitten is still all right (with constant monitoring and feeding kitten food, water with glucose and salt), he nibbles at the wet food but the kitten food seem easier for him to eat/lap up at the moment though not as much as I'd like him to.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My mind's very addled at the moment so could you tell me if the best position to syringe-feed be for them to be lying on their back, belly up (but not flat, cradled in my arm)?
No, not like that. If the kittens lie belly up it's really easy for them to inhale some of the formula, which will lead to aspiration pneumonia.

You need them to be lying belly down, which is how they would nurse from their mother. Take a look at this video.

You might want to check out Kitten Lady's channel, she has lots of info on bottle babies and sick kittens.

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, not like that. If the kittens lie belly up it's really easy for them to inhale some of the formula, which will lead to aspiration pneumonia.

You need them to be lying belly down, which is how they would nurse from their mother. Take a look at this video.

You might want to check out Kitten Lady's channel, she has lots of info on bottle babies and sick kittens.
Thank you! I suppose this applies to kittens and cats of all ages? Mine turned 5 months today (🥳).

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If you are syringe feeding wet food make sure the cat or kitten is head up, belly down and put the syringe into the corner of their mouth. You want to squirt the food across the back of their tongue, rather than down their throat. Give them time to swallow each mouthful before you try and give them any more.

5 months! That's awesome. Happy Five Month Birthday.
:wavey:

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are syringe feeding wet food make sure the cat or kitten is head up, belly down and put the syringe into the corner of their mouth. You want to squirt the food across the back of their tongue, rather than down their throat. Give them time to swallow each mouthful before you try and give them any more.

5 months! That's awesome. Happy Five Month Birthday.
:wavey:
Noted, thank you so much! And yes, saw Kitten Lady's video about panleukopenia. So glad to have found it.
And thank you for the wishes! I hope to be able to share some photos once they fully regained their health :redheartpump:

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am also giving the most affected kitten some nutritional paste + he ate almost 3 tbsp-equivalent of kitten food today!!
Am so proud of him. Also tried with the proper position to feed, it went well though was necessary to keep setting him back to position many times.

Had a temporary panic attack about higher vitamin D content in the paste but thankfully it wasn't referring to the one I got. (phew)
Mine is about 1600UI while the other variant is 16000UI.

Would the Bene-Bac Plus probiotic be suitable for them down the road (when they're better)? I read the label and contains two key strains that are good for digestion and stools (according to PetMD, at least). Other brands don't list the strains which I'm wary about.