Newbie-experience of nervous cats and introducing kittens to existing cats

stripeytiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

I discovered this site when I was introducing my new kitten to my existing cats and the advice was sooo helpful
that I decided to join up!

A little more about my cats. I hope my story helps some people who are having similar issues

I have had 2 cats for 5 years, Will and Mika. They are rescue cats from Battersea cats and dogs home. We don't know their exact ages but they were estimated at 1 and 3 when we got them and they were very nervous cats. They had been kept with other animals and not looked after by previous owners. At first they would just run away and hide from us. It took Mika a few weeks to venture out from under the TV cabinet and settle in. Will took longer and finally a year later, he came to sit on my knee
They still hate being picked up tho!

A month ago we decided to get a kitten as I am working at home at the moment. Cats Protection found us a grey kitten who we called Oscar, 14 weeks old. He seemed timid compared to his littermates but when we got him home he was very confident and settled in immediately, and didn't stop purring
. I kept him away from the others in the spare room. After a few days of bedding swapping (to swap their scents) we introduced him to our existing cats. He hissed at Will, who just silently stood his ground and then they sniffed noses and were ok. Mika however hissed and growled on sight
. She went outside to the garden and over the next few days wouldn't come in except for food and to sleep which was very upsetting. Will was also getting cross at Oscar's attempts to play and at Mika. We were worried that we'd done the wrong thing

We made the difficult decision two weeks ago to get another kitten for Oscar to play with so he didn't bother Will and Mika so much. She is beautiful just over 8 weeks now
I read lots of advice on the forum, so I used a towel to swap their scents, wiping it over each of them, a feliway diffuser, fed them treats when they met, fed and played with them together and cross stroking. Yesterday, after a lot of Oscar hissing, Luna and him played chase and then went to sleep together
. Will is also happy with Luna and has gone back to sleeping on the bed (his usual sleeping place where he hasn't been since we got Oscar). Mika now only growls if Oscar invades her space and doesn't seem concerned about Luna.

So I hope things will start to settle down now. The kittens are so cute, but I love my big cats and missed them lots when they were away

Glad to be here and meet you all

Mika
Will
Oscar
Luna

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all - Welcome to the Cat Site! Your cats are beautiful!

You seemed to have tried a lot of things to get your cats to get along. We would say keep trying to get them to interact by playing with them together. Pet them when they are around each other, let them sniff each other. Sniffing is what gets our cats to get along. They just have to get used to each other - your kittens are still fairly young so it may take a little while. Will & Mika still think that your house is theirs...they just have to get used to the fact they have to share it with more kitties.

You are doing a great so far.
Hopefully everyone gets along soon! Keep us all updated on how your cats are getting along.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to you and your gorgeous kitties
look at those sweeties

Well it sounds like you are working hard to help these fellas get along
its just a matter of time - they do settle down to a way of being

Glad you dropped in to join us - enjoy the fourms

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi & welcome to TCS!
That's a beautiful fur family!

If you have any questions as you find your way around the site, please feel free to click on my username and send me a private message. I'll be happy to help.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!
!........

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to get the chance to welcome you and your gorgeous furfamily to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

I'm so glad that you were able to overcome those kitty introduction issues - your kitties are beautiful