New ZiwiPeak Formula?

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi LisaMarie...
It's been a while since I have been at the forum, and you have given me good info before, so I come seeking some more advice.

We have been using ziwipeak for a while, alternating between venison and lamb (canned) and some of their dehydrated stuff also venison and lamb, usually sprinkling a little on top of the canned food.
New labels, 6.5 oz instead of 6 oz, and a 'new, better' formula, or so they say. Your opinion on the newer stuff? My cat used to like the venison, now its 'nose up' position about 3 out of 4 times.

He still likes the lamb, but not as much as before the 'newer, better' stuff came out. So, we are trying to stay with the canned if possible, and once again would like your opinion as to your suggested 'mo' bettah' canned food for Artie. Feline Natural was NOT a favorite of his, and I have read that it is not so much look or taste, but cats will actually seek the better nutrient balance for their choice, if it is presented.

So what might you suggest we try, OR, do you think that ZP is actually 'newer and better'? We can keep putting it down, and let him get used to it, or ???

Thanks so much, again!
Fred & ARTIE!
Greetings Fred, sorry, I am just now seeing this post.

I'm glad ZP removed the TSPP as well as agar agar. Maybe Artie isn't liking the chickpeas that were added to the new canned formulas? I'm guessing the addition of this carb is for the sake of binding the food.

I'm not a fan of beans in pet food, it's hard enough for humans to digest beans, much less a cat.

It's also too bad Artie doesn't like FN, it really is top of the line.

You could continue trying to tempt Artie with ZP, if that's what you want him to eat, maybe with the use of a freeze dried topper, just a pinch, on top of the food.

Other suggestions ... you could look into Bravo's canned line, they don't make venison or lamb, just poultry (duck, chicken turkey) and beef formulas. The food isn't too carby, the pates less so than the fricassee varieties. They do use agar agar, however, if you're concerned with that ingredient. I like that Bravo includes heart meat in their recipes.

Other than A few Tiki Cat (non fish) flavors, and a handful of Weruva varieties, not sure what else to recommend (I'm pretty picky, lol and do mostly raw with my cats along with meat baby food and occasionally FN, Weruva.)

Actually weren't you using Life's Abundance at one point, if I recall from one of your earlier posts? I considered that food previously, I was going to order a couple sample cans, however, the chicken meal in the food turned me off.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance. :(

cluckingduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'm glad ZP removed the TSPP as well as agar agar. Maybe Artie isn't liking the chickpeas that were added to the new canned formulas? I'm guessing the addition of this carb is for the sake of binding the food.

I'm not a fan of beans in pet food, it's hard enough for humans to digest beans, much less a cat.

You could continue trying to tempt Artie with ZP, if that's what you want him to eat, maybe with the use of a freeze dried topper, just a pinch, on top of the food.

Other suggestions ... you could look into Bravo's canned line, they don't make venison or lamb, just poultry (duck, chicken turkey) and beef formulas. The food isn't too carby, the pates less so than the fricassee varieties. They do use agar agar, however, if you're concerned with that ingredient. I like that Bravo includes heart meat in their recipes.

Other than A few Tiki Cat (non fish) flavors, and a handful of Weruva varieties, not sure what else to recommend (I'm pretty picky, lol and do mostly raw with my cats along with meat baby food and occasionally FN, Weruva.)

Actually weren't you using Life's Abundance at one point, if I recall from one of your earlier posts? I considered that food previously, I was going to order a couple sample cans, however, the chicken meal in the food turned me off.

HEY, HI! And thanks for the reply. I tried one case of FN a while ago, and it smelled kind like a fruity cleaning product. Maybe a bad case. I contacted them, and no real help. I might try it one more time. Artie likes Venison, Lamb, and Lamb and Mackerel, but seems to not like it as much since the change in formula. I still have some Lifes Abundance, and if I set out some ZP Venison, and drain a wee bit of the oil from the Lifes Abundance over the top, he likes it just fine! (lol).

Which FN is your fav? Thanks,
Fred

cluckingduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Just saw THIS: Canned Dog Food - Pork & Venison

I'm not the great expert, but it looks pretty good to me. Your thoughts?
Thanx, Fred

cluckingduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I just ordered the new flavor, then had to call the Lifes Abundance folks and tell them that I do not read well, and to cancel! . Thats DOG FOOD! They had a little popup window showing their NEW formula, so I bought it. HAH!

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline Natural hasn't changed their formula - their cat food is fairly new, not sure what you're referring to as far as the "fruity smell" and change or recipe.

When I feed FN, I use the chicken with venison formula. Their chicken/lamb seems to do well, some cats like lamb, I have one cat allergic to lamb. FN also makes lamb with salmon and beef with hoki fish, if you feed fish, do so sparingly.

Good luck. :)

Firefly1980

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was recently diagnosed with IBD via biopsy. He also had H. Pylori infection which was treated. We spent the better part of 2 years trying to find him a good food that he wasnt allergic too and that didnt have any of the questionable ingredients. We finally came to Ziwipeaks Venision, Fish and Venison, and Lamb which he had been rotating the last few months. When my local pet food supplier informed me of upcoming changes i cringed because of how complicated it was to find a quality food that would work for his specific needs. And that he would actually eat.

Well we are kind of stuck now because my cat will not eat the new formula. Its quite devastating in fact. And I'm afraid of what will happen when we go to switch brands now. He cannot have chicken, turkey, salmon, rabbit, dairy, eggs. He will not eat raw unfortunately. Ziwipeak was our savior our cat was doing so much better, even the vet was surprised at the difference in just a few months. And now he wont eat the new formula. Its also much harder pate and just doesn't look quite as fresh. Im not saying its not fresh, but I'm really disapointed here that I will now have to find a new brand.

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm no longer buying ZP as a snack for my cats. I don't like the addition of chickpeas. ZP should have followed in Feline Natural's footsteps and omitted the binder all together.
I agree. I don't think I will be buying Ziwi anymore either. What a shame. Adding binders and fillers that serve no purpose seems to be the wave of the future. Seems like some pet food companies are taking the low road and getting worse instead of better. Oh well, my search is on for another food to rotate!

Janice Broussard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am with Ziwi Customer Service - Our new Mackerel & Lamb recipes are high in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. New Zealand Blue Mackerel are small fish, wild-caught in the clean oceans surrounding New Zealand, and are generally not associated with concerns over heavy metal contamination. I hope this information is helpful to you in determining the appropriate diet for your feline friend!
Why did Ziwipeak feel the need to change the formula in the first place?

ftmba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haven't tried the new canned, but the new dry is a hit with my kitties. They were previously pretty meh on ZP dry.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't tried the new canned, but the new dry is a hit with my kitties. They were previously pretty meh on ZP dry.
Interesting because ZP didn't really change the air dried all that much, other than adding a new flavor.

ftmba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Interesting because ZP didn't really change the air dried all that much, other than adding a new flavor.
Haven't checked the ingredients but the texture does seem a little different (it actually seems more uniform/processed). Could be coincidence since I haven't given them anything new in a while.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I started Ziwipeak just as they were changing. I wanted the venison because I was trying to figure out if a food allergy was making her itch. She loved the old flavor at first, but then decided not to eat it. Then she loved it again in a few days. I mixed the old and new when I got my second shipment and then went all new. Again, the first can was great and then she didn't like it. After a couple days she decided it was fine. I feed her less of it than I did the old recipe. Generally she is doing well and the itching is sloooowly getting less. I'm hoping that by the time we reach 10 weeks on just venison she will have completely stopped itching so we can start reintroducing. I used to like buying all different foods for her, and I don't like having her only eating one food.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was so excited about Ziwipeak until I realized they added legumes to their recipes. Huxley has multiple allergies including soy and a cross allergy to all legumes. Such a shame as it looked like a possible option for him.

SalsaCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm no longer buying ZP as a snack for my cats. I don't like the addition of chickpeas. ZP should have followed in Feline Natural's footsteps and omitted the binder all together.
I've just brought some ZP online to change over from the general additive full tin food from the supermarket. I was deciding between FN & ZP. I wasn't sure about the addition of chickpeas but brought it as the vet stocks it. Wish I had come across this site first. Once the cat has finished the ZP I will buy some FN and try that.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just brought some ZP online to change over from the general additive full tin food from the supermarket. I was deciding between FN & ZP. I wasn't sure about the addition of chickpeas but brought it as the vet stocks it. Wish I had come across this site first. Once the cat has finished the ZP I will buy some FN and try that.
ZP isn't bad, I just don't get why they added the chickpeas. My local store still has the old cans of venison and I bought a few recently and my cats inhaled it. I haven't tried the new cans, though. I feel like company really went backwards with that choice.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally bought a can of the new ZP lamb & rabbit. My cats actually really liked it, probably more than they liked the original version of that flavor. I didn't find it dry, if anything I think it was more moist than the original. I read somewhere that someone said the carbs in the new cans were something like 20%, but i ran the numbers and the carbs are only at 4.5%, so overall not bad. While I don't think the chickpeas were necessary, I don't have an issue feeding it in rotation to give my cats some variety. I feed mostly raw, but I throw in some canned food here and there.

nocookie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Been buying the line for a few years now. It was quite meaty and chunky at first then became quite light with added gums, now its pasty with the chick peas. Not sure if it's chick pea flour or cooked chick peas, my cat is not to keen on it now. It has been the best line out there for sure and I understand the difficulty in keeping the price and quality on balance, especially exporting to North America.
I did try the Koha Venison Stew that also use chickpeas and she started to show sensitivity to it after going through a case of it.