New York City: Here I Come

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will be visiting New York City in early October for a few days. Does anyone know of an animal shelter/sanctuary in NYC (subway accessible) that I could visit to get my kitty fix? Some animal shelters require training before being able to simply sit with the cats, and while I can certainly understand why, time doesn't permit that.
Also, anyone know of any established community colonies that I might be able to help fee or observe the caretaker(s). Or ongoing TNR efforts?
Thanks.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've always wanted to visit the North Shore Animal league.  I understand that they have a shelter with glass walls that allow in light and help the animals feel less like they're in a shelter.  It is on Long Island, which may be accessible for a day trip.

http://www.animalleague.org/

I live in southern New Jersey and have been to the city via train many times.  Mostly we go to Broadway plays but I've explored a other few places.  I am a country girl but I love NYC!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. A quick google search indicates it's not readily accessible (unless it is on a commuter line--Port Washington). But love that they are a full service animal shelter. There are a fair number of low cost s/n clinics but not discount sick pet care.
I'm going with my twin sister on a tour (celebrating her birthday early--big 6 0). The hotel is in Secaucus. We have some free time, mainly Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning. I'd like to take in a Broadway (or off broadway) play and see a lot of Central Park.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of what I've done is on the bottom part of Manhatten island. I have been to the Natural Sciences Museum which is across the street from Central Park. It's in the 80s I think. Broadway is in the teens, so it is a hike. I like to walk but there are plenty of tour busses and cabs. You are going to have fun!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I am not sure of shelters in the city itself, but I know of plenty on Long Island (like North Shore Animal League).

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. I'll check out North Shore Animal League.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Ritz

Hi Cindy,

I'm in nyc and while i don't know of any shelters that will let you hang out, per se, with their cats, definitely not unsupervised, if time and scheduling permits, I'd be happy to arrange a private tour of my shelter the ASPCA (www.aspca.org) where you could at least pet some cats and go into some multi cat habitats.  It is available by one subway line, the 4/5/6 line on the east side but does involve a 15 min walk from the station to the shelter.  Directions would be provided by me if you want to do this. If the only days you can do this are on a day that i cannot be there, i can give you info on how you can still get a tour.

There is also the humane society, and bide-a-wee.  I would not recommend that you visit the city shelter, Animal care and control.

I am particularly proud of the ASPCA shelter, its in immaculate condition.  To be safe for any shelter that you visit including mine, please bring a valid, non-expired, gov't issued photo ID and a separate document showing your home address with your name on it, examples being a utility bill, bank statement or similar.

Stephen

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much for your kind offer, Draco and StephenQ. I'd love to meet up and tour ASPCA. I'll let you know as the date gets closer. Our free time is Wednesday afternoon and Thursday until around 1 p.m.
My twin sister will be with me, so it in part depends on her. She is at heart a dog lover, but has come to 'appreciate' cats through her volunteer work with the cat sanctuary. We want to visit the 9 11 Museum (I work four blocks from The White House), walk Central Park and visit Coney Island. We figure we can skip a Broadway play; I do after all live an hour from The Kennedy Center!
Thanks again.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OOH OOH! How exciting! I'd love to meet up, despite not being on here as much anymore. I sentcha a PM. I'm also interested in going to LI as I have never been there even though I've lived in NYC for a total of two years now. :)

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I envy those in NYC. I don't think I could live there, but to visit would be amazing. My family on my dad's side and just... get a feel of the city.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm usually working wed and thurs but we can check as it gets closer.  I can always set up a tour for you with someone else. your plans sounds great.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think Coney Island is worth a visit anymore- especially since you'll be here for a few days. It's a pain to get there from NYC (In my opinion)- lots of broken glass in the sand so its not fun walking through. Unless you want to visit the aquarium, then that's nice to see.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, thanks for the information about Coney Island. That is invaluable.
We're use to the nice beaches of Ocean City, New Jersey, where I vacationed and worked as a young child, my mother visited as a young child--80 years ago.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think Coney Island is worth a visit anymore- especially since you'll be here for a few days. It's a pain to get there from NYC (In my opinion)- lots of broken glass in the sand so its not fun walking through. Unless you want to visit the aquarium, then that's nice to see.
Although there is a brand new and AMAZING rollercoaster ride that i think just opened in coney island, and the place is a hoot.....

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok there seems to be some confusion as to how many people want to attend this ASPCA tour.  We actually can do tours for larger groups of people, what I need is a show of hands for those who are interested in attending, October 8th (after around 12:30) or Thursday, October 9 (morning until around 1 or 2; bus leaves at 3).

So please reply to this post with the number of people including yourself who may wish to attend - i know its a long way off so no commitment is needed.  As we get closer I'll arrange things.

http://www.aspca.org/nyc

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My twin sister (Becky) and I.
And Jean, the tour guide/organizer. As far as I know she doesn't post on TCS, but she is an active volunteer for P.A.W.S. and, I believe, a shelter on the Eastern Shore.
Thanks.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok there seems to be some confusion as to how many people want to attend this ASPCA tour.  We actually can do tours for larger groups of people, what I need is a show of hands for those who are interested in attending, October 8th (after around 12:30) or Thursday, October 9 (morning until around 1 or 2; bus leaves at 3).

So please reply to this post with the number of people including yourself who may wish to attend - i know its a long way off so no commitment is needed.  As we get closer I'll arrange things.

http://www.aspca.org/nyc
Oh, I was just kidding when I said what I said.
  I certainly wouldn't want to impose on Cindy's day with her sister. October is a crazy month for me at work.