New Years Resolutions

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One year, after I hadn't been to the dentist in like 3 or 4 years because I have a dental phobia, I made going to the dentist one of my new year's resolutions and updated people monthly on Facebook about how I was doing on them to keep me honest.

That year, I found a dentist who was good with my phobia and actually accomplished all my resolutions. So it can be done!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
One year, after I hadn't been to the dentist in like 3 or 4 years because I have a dental phobia, I made going to the dentist one of my new year's resolutions and updated people monthly on Facebook about how I was doing on them to keep me honest.

That year, I found a dentist who was good with my phobia and actually accomplished all my resolutions. So it can be done!
Oh, good for you! I know someone with a phobia like that. Congratulations for making the resolution and finding a dentist who will work with you. :party3:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My resolution is to be somewhat fluent in Spanish by the end of 2019.
:yeah: Ditto, me too! Many of our students speak Spanish at home and although I do speak some Spanish I would like to become more fluent. I had four years in the Honor's program when in school myself but did not continue and wish I had.
Everyone tells me the best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in it by living in the country so maybe instead my New Year's Resolution should be to move to a different country for a year. ;)

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't make 'em because I won't keep 'em! I hate New Year's, anyway. I've always found New Year's Eve a sad holiday for some reason, and Auld Lang Syne makes me tear up--maybe it's the Scottish DNA, LOL. And this year, someone I know is in the process of dying right now; they probably won't make it past this weekend, I think (she stopped eating and drinking three days ago), so this year is particularly sad. :bawling:

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The last New Year's resolution I made (several years ago now) was "No more New Year's resolutions, ever!" It's been remarkably easy to keep, and quite useful. ;)

T be clear, yes, I make plans of things I want to do in the new year, but they aren't resolutions. In my opinion resolutions tions are just guilt traps waiting to happen. Plans are useful and can be adjusted at need; resolutions are almost invariably really hard to keep. And then you feel guilty and inadequate, because you couldn't beat the nearly impossible challenge you set for yourself.

Margret
I definitely 100% agree with this.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:yeah: Ditto, me too! Many of our students speak Spanish at home and although I do speak some Spanish I would like to become more fluent. I had four years in the Honor's program when in school myself but did not continue and wish I had.
Everyone tells me the best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in it by living in the country so maybe instead my New Year's Resolution should be to move to a different country for a year. ;)
Ah see I can't really afford to move to south America for a year so I'm doing the next best thing. Watch everything on Netflix with Spanish language instead of English lol.
I'm gonna wrangle the seasonal landscapers that I see in the spring and summer to only talk to me in Spanish. A lot of them don't talk because they don't know a lot of English but there's usually one guy that knows enough, if I explain to him what I'm doing they can help. :thumbsup:
(This will also be good for business because word will get around of a Spanish speaking girl at the local convenience store and they may opt to come to my store instead of the competition.)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
margecat margecat :vibes::vibes::vibes:My thoughts are with you and with her. May her transition be as peaceful as possible.
:yess:For all of you who have set yourselves admirable goals and are working at them. Many of these I have set in the past, so it's just a matter for me of continuing them. And if there is a resolution I would make, it's to do my best to be as kind, gentle, loving, compassionate and caring as possible, to realize that everyone truly is fighting a battle, and to keep on advoCATing for the cats and kittens I love so much. Also, making more "quality time" to spend with my Three is something I intend to do.

recurringecho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t really set hard resolutions, but I have really vague loose goals with no strong deadlines. Just get better and head in the right direction more or less. As long as I did better than last year, month, week, or yesterday, it’s a win.

But anyways, for 2019! Get better at commitments! No more jumping between six different projects, just focus on one and go! I would actually love to get a part of something at least UP and WORKING! Especially since I’ve been working on this one project on and off over the past year and a half and never really gotten anything worth showing yet. Sad, really xD

Also, be less distant and actually talk to people I should be talking to instead of just Thinking about talking all the time! My parents actually called me up last quarter asking me if anything was okay since I kinda just dropped off the face of the Earth for months out of nowhere. Oof.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
margecat margecat :vibes::vibes::vibes:My thoughts are with you and with her. May her transition be as peaceful as possible.
:yess:For all of you who have set yourselves admirable goals and are working at them. Many of these I have set in the past, so it's just a matter for me of continuing them. And if there is a resolution I would make, it's to do my best to be as kind, gentle, loving, compassionate and caring as possible, to realize that everyone truly is fighting a battle, and to keep on advoCATing for the cats and kittens I love so much. Also, making more "quality time" to spend with my Three is something I intend to do.
Thank you. She died early this morning.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t really set hard resolutions, but I have really vague loose goals with no strong deadlines. Just get better and head in the right direction more or less. As long as I did better than last year, month, week, or yesterday, it’s a win.

But anyways, for 2019! Get better at commitments! No more jumping between six different projects, just focus on one and go! I would actually love to get a part of something at least UP and WORKING! Especially since I’ve been working on this one project on and off over the past year and a half and never really gotten anything worth showing yet. Sad, really xD

Also, be less distant and actually talk to people I should be talking to instead of just Thinking about talking all the time! My parents actually called me up last quarter asking me if anything was okay since I kinda just dropped off the face of the Earth for months out of nowhere. Oof.
I do this a lot, too, recurringecho recurringecho , and I admire your resolution. In this life, none of us ever knows how long (s)he will be here, and it is so important to let those we love KNOW we love them while they are here. There is a poem called, "THE TIME IS NOW" -- I don't know the author, but it is so wise.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Glad you've found a good one, Lari Lari . I called 1800DENTIST when I moved here and they referred me to the best dentist I've ever had. I'm a real believer in bi-annual cleanings, and they're great at that. Plus, he was wonderful in replacing all of my old fillings. I wouldn't go to anyone else. He's very kind, gentle, and funny! and I look forward to my appointments.