New Winterized Shelter For Kitty.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I made Snickers a new winter house. I made the entrance as small as possible to deter wildlife. Upon entering on the left is a room with a raised floor and nice padding. To the right is the "bedroom". I used a medium size Rubbermaid tub with a small entry hole which I lined the bottom and three sides with several sheets of newspapers then filled with shredded paper , grass hay , shredded paper towels. I attached it to the wood frame with screws to make it secure. Enclosed the whole thing with plastic bags then covered with a Tarpaulin.
Snickers used it last night so I guess he likes it.
I know, it's not pretty but it's safe and warm.
IMG_20190212_103720_kindlephoto-181551741.jpg

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Snickers is very lucky to have you! I used to used rubbermaid lids to make overhangs on my shelters. If the shelter itself was rubbermaid, I used to drill holes and zip tie them on. I also just stretched bungie cords across and then added a brick two. It was never pretty, but it did the job!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks...

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good job! Just one little point - hay tends to get moldy, so it's better to use straw in feral shelters.
Yes thanks. That's why I mix it with shredded paper and paper towels. At this time we don't really have a place to store a bale of straw. I buy the bags of grass hay for rabbits.

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another great inexpensive tool for outdoor shelters. 1" Foam board from Home Depot. One 4 x 8 sheet is about $20. Cut it up using serrated kitchen knife or utility knife, or saw and use very good duct tape to keep it together and seal seams from air. Waterproof too. You can use it as an inside insulator or stand alone.

Owens Corning FOAMULAR 150 1 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-5 Scored Square Edge Rigid Foam Board Insulation Sheathing-20WE - The Home Depot
Mylar works great, too, or use an old emergency blanket like the kind that come in emergency car kits.

Some animal shelters will give away bags of straw for feral shelters.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another great inexpensive tool for outdoor shelters. 1" Foam board from Home Depot. One 4 x 8 sheet is about $20. Cut it up using serrated kitchen knife or utility knife, or saw and use very good duct tape to keep it together and seal seams from air. Waterproof too. You can use it as an inside insulator or stand alone.

Owens Corning FOAMULAR 150 1 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-5 Scored Square Edge Rigid Foam Board Insulation Sheathing-20WE - The Home Depot
That's awesome thanks. This spring I'm going to redo his shelter.