New (Very Cute) Kittens, Raccoon Problem, and More....

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HIP HOORAY! U got these GORGEOUS kitties!!!
Hang in there. I know how overwhelming it can be to trap, try to take care of multiple cats, get them fixed and find homes for them but it can be very rewarding.

So u've found someone to take these two kittens in until they could be adopted or ?

Would love an update on this..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scott77777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, these pictures tend to go a long way toward finding prospective adoptive families.

A woman from the local rescue group who works with me has taken the kittens to have them socialized in a foster home. There's already plenty of word in the grapevine of people interested in adopting them. Good looks never hurt a kitten without a home.

The torti we caught prior to these two also goes to a new home tomorrow for a trial run as new company for a house cat. We'll see how they get along.

The nice thing about the pictures is that after the first four cats we caught (which were all sick with URIs and one had a corneal ulcer) we basically had a nervous breakdown on the vet bills and the difficulty to find homes. Since I've been taking pictures and have gotten hooked up with this woman, prospects have been infinitely more positive and I actually feel like I'm accomplishing something.

I told her today that I'll bring her more feral females if she can find the space for them. People in the complex must think I'm nuts. I've turned into the cat hunter.
(no-kill, of course).
I can't bear to have a repeat of this year, however, and find sick kittens. It kicks me in the a$$ too much, emotionally. I want all these cats spayed or adopted.

scott77777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, the two calicos are going to a home together.

This kitten was adopted as well
and is apparently a big mush now that he's been socialized:

The mother has been spayed and was re-released a few weeks back, and although it looks like now she might be a little sick (big tears, maybe an eye infection).

We also trapped another female today, who never settled down and managed to escape INSIDE a neighbor's apartment while we were trying to transfer her to the local rescue group. There's nothing like having a crazed feral loose in a small apartment. We were able to get her back in the cage - ironically, using a Catopoly (like monopoly with cats) box to block her exit.

Good times.

Another 6-7 to go. (at least for this batch)

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those pictures are beautiful! I've gotta figure out how to post such crisp pictures! But that's besides the point.....

That is so wonderful that the calicos and the kitten found homes! BRAVO!!!

You are doing a wonderful job with your ferals. I hope that the spayed momma cat gets better soon.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW....what wonderful news!!!! I hope the momma cat gets better soon. Great to hear you are down to 6 or 7 left. I will keep my fingers crossed that you can catch them all before April (when kitten season begins).

Katie

scott77777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Caught another one today - "Ringo"

He was limping - if you look at his right foot, you can see he's got some sort of hole in it.

These photos are from the summer, a month ago, and today. As you can tell, he's not a happy camper about being in that cage. But, that said, he'll spend tonight in a warm garage instead of freezing outside.

Hopefully, that foot will recover. The abandoned building near us has lots of exposed nails and such - hopefully he didn't impale himself on one of them.

scott77777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK....here's the mother of two litters...who we spayed and released.

You can see she's got some eye issues - URI, feline herpesvirus, or normal?

She's always been missing that cheek.

From the summer:

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How is Ringo? I've been worried about him.

I'm not sure about the eyes. One of mine had chronic runny eyes, but his eyes manufactured a black goop rather than the light-colored goop on your cat. Does her discharge look greenish or is it clear? If it is greenish, she probably has a cold. But, I'm no expert on illness, so please don't give much weight to what I say.

scott77777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, Ringo is in the care of our rescue contact. He's been neutered and he's eating. He has a few days of antibiotics to go on and also has the eye problem. I think it's feline herpesvirus or a URI. They look relatively OK.

Of course, we can't touch Ringo - he's too wild -- so it means we'll have to put some faith into the antibiotics. Of course I'll keep my eye on him once he's released.

scott77777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I made a sheet to ID some of our ferals. It's not all of them (there are about 5-7 more that either come around infrequently, or have gone missing).

himmymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really think what you are doing is awesome! Thank you...
your ferals are absolutely beautiful...
Lorien