New Tortie Cat questions !

Gator9712

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any advice would be great! Here are a few things about her !

Her name is Luna she is a 6 month old tortie colored adoption cat, she was at the adoption clinic for 3 days before we got her. She’s had all of her shots ,been fixed, microchipped. She was a stray when they found her. Her first night was last night with us! We live in a 2 bedroom apartment she’s the only animal with us. She ate last night/drank plenty of water and used the litter box just fine without any issues! Also She never got into anything during the night which we cat proofed everything we could.

Few questions
1. She stayed up most of the night meowing and wandering around I know it’s a new house and new owners is this normal for a new cat? How long does it usually last ?

2. Should we feed her once in the morning and once at night before bed ?

3. We are taking her to the vet for a wellness check very soon, anything we should ask about her to the vet ?

4. Should we let her free roam around while we are sleeping/at work? Or keep her in a room while we are gone?

5. How long does it normally take for a new cat to get adjusted and out of their shyness shell?

Any advice on a newly adopted kitty would be great ! Thank you very much!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the Cat, some will hide for days and some are fine right away. A good thing to do would be provide her a "safe zone" in an isolated room with a bed and something to hide in or under but leave the door open so she can explore if she wants to. It's not going to hurt her to explore sooner than late, and some Cats will be more upset if they are locked in a room alone.

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your new fur child. I hope Luna brings you years upon years of entertainment and joy! To answer your questions:

1. She stayed up most of the night meowing and wandering around I know it’s a new house and new owners is this normal for a new cat? How long does it usually last ?

Does she have free run of the house? If so, it could be causing her a bit of anxiety (which is contributing to the meowing). She's probably looking for company or learning her way around. It may be better to keep her in a 'safe room' ie- one of the bedrooms with her food, litter box, and toys while she adjusts to her new territory. This may help quiet her down.

I think that depends on your schedule! My cat gets fed 3 times/day (once in the morning, once in the evening, and a bedtime snack). You could also free feed if you suspect Luna won't overeat.

3. We are taking her to the vet for a wellness check very soon, anything we should ask about her to the vet ?

Do you notice any odd behaviors with her? Any
squinting? I'd be on the lookout for things like- kennel cough, making sure the spay incision is healing well. FIV test (if you haven't done it already), eat mites (big issue in kittens) and general parasite control.

4. Should we let her free roam around while we are sleeping/at work? Or keep her in a room while we are gone?

Keep her in a room for the time being. She'll let you know when she's ready to explore the rest of your home.

5. How long does it normally take for a new cat to get adjusted and out of their shyness shell?

Depends on the cat- for a 6 month old, single kitten living with adults, I can't imagine her adjustment period will be too
long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gator9712

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Congrats on your new fur child. I hope Luna brings you years upon years of entertainment and joy! To answer your questions:

Does she have free run of the house? If so, it could be causing her a bit of anxiety (which is contributing to the meowing). She's probably looking for company or learning her way around. It may be better to keep her in a 'safe room' ie- one of the bedrooms with her food, litter box, and toys while she adjusts to her new territory. This may help quiet her down.

I think that depends on your schedule! My cat gets fed 3 times/day (once in the morning, once in the evening, and a bedtime snack). You could also free feed if you suspect Luna won't overeat.

Do you notice any odd behaviors with her? Any
squinting? I'd be on the lookout for things like- kennel cough, making sure the spay incision is healing well. FIV test (if you haven't done it already), eat mites (big issue in kittens) and general parasite control.

Keep her in a room for the time being. She'll let you know when she's ready to explore the rest of your home.

Depends on the cat- for a 6 month old, single kitten living with adults, I can't imagine her adjustment period will be too
long.
Thank you very much! She’s free roaming right now but our apartment is around 1,300 Sqft. Do you think I should still keep her in a room for a few days then release her ? Cause she’s been roaming freely all last night and today.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much! She’s free roaming right now but our apartment is around 1,300 Sqft. Do you think I should still keep her in a room for a few days then release her ? Cause she’s been roaming freely all last night and today.
No, if she's already roaming around on her own then there's no need to confine her. Kittens normally adjust quickly so it sounds like she's already comfortable in her new surroundings.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-179632.jpg.gif
Gator9712 and Luna, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
IMG_3645.GIF
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on the new kitten! :catlove:

About your questions ...

It's different, of course, with every cat, but here's the link to an older thread you might find interesting:
What Was Your Cat's Behavior Like In The First Day? | TheCatSite

Here's, also, a few TCS articles that might be helpful:
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home | TheCatSite
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment | TheCatSite
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips | TheCatSite

More TCS article links:
What Do I Need To Know About Feeding My Cat? | TheCatSite
How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat? | TheCatSite

Since she's a kitten, there's probably not many health concerns, however, here's another article that might be helpful:
Identifying Common Ailments In Cats Adopted From Animal Shelters And Rescue Groups – Cat Articles

I guess it depends on how kitten-proofed your home is. But keeping her in one room while you're gone, till she's a bit older, is not a bad idea. As long as she has food, water, litter box and toys, she'll be fine.

She may not actually be shy, but still adjusting to her new home, but in case she is a shy/timid kitty, here's some more TCS articles:
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat | TheCatSite
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats | TheCatSite

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and to Luna! Most of your questions have been answered very well, so I'll only add that at six months old, three feedings is ideal. Growing kittens are almost impossible to over-feed. Once she's a bit closer to a year, you'll want to cut back to two, and watching her intake, but for now...she'll burn off every calorie! And I'm wildly jealous of that, let me tell you!

OH...and we'll want pictures, the more the merrier!

1578175086530.png

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any advice would be great! Here are a few things about her !
I too have a Tortie thats 18 and runs like a kitten upstairs! Wysong Vitality dry and trader joes turkey giblets wet has her spunky.
One mistake I made is sleeping with her. and
I dont sleep well,
did you know cats are nocturnal? now I am...and nap in daytime! I cant kick her out of bed now so.....
I just do the best I can.
Torties are good luck!
filtered water only please as chlorine is a bladder cancer risk. Lost my first cat and mother to that....
Word has it that torties are like queen bees, genetically smarter and in charge. but now I have a calico more like that and torments the old tortie sometimes.
cats do better with a buddy but its twice the scooping and expense.
enjoy your girl! torties and calicos are always girls as you know.

Last edited by a moderator:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: I think all the bases have been covered regarding your questions by our knowledgeable members. Since every cat/kitten is an individual follow your gut and do what you think is best for Luna with a little bit of help from your vet. We love pics so please feel free to show off your new girl.:camera:

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes yes lets see Luna! I know its twice the costs but kitties are social and do best when they have a buddy. Best if they are about same age. This crazy calico of mine had two sisters I found homes for both together as they were incredibly bonded and guess what she called one? LUNA Luna looked just like Tabbytoms adorable basket cats up above.... I have 3- 18 yrs 14 and 2.5 didnt plan on the kitten but just had to rescue her from a bad place at 5 weeks old. Welcome to a great cat place here! Luna (I named snowflake) is on left. Here is hibou and martin the puuuurfect loving couple!

Attachments

Last edited: