New to putting cat on diet

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I just started my cat on Purina Overweight Management. She’s always eaten wet and dry food, so I thought I’d continue that. I figured out how many calories she needs to eat per day for weight loss. She can have one 5.5 oz can plus 48 grams of dry food per day. I was worried about her starving all the time but it’s actually a decent amount of food!
The problem is now I don’t think she’s eating ENOUGH. She only ate 14 grams of the dry food that was in her bowl all day, plus the can. (I work shift work so can’t do meals at the same time every day, so it works better to have dry available in her bowl when I’m not home).
They said cats shouldn’t lose more than 1-2% of their body weight per week.
My question is: if she starts to lose too much, what should I do? Should I give her some of the old Fancy Feast to add calories in?
I don’t want to stop counting calories and just give extra canned and then have her gain again. She does like the dry food but prefers the canned, but it’s too expensive to use more than one can per day.
Thank you!!!

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats have different metabolisms. If she didn't eat more of the dry food, then she's probably eaten enough with the can of wet food. I think it'll just be important to weigh her weekly and make sure weight loss doesn't excess 2%. Cat weight loss is often very difficult to actually manage and make happen, so I wouldn't worry too much now about her calorie intake if she's leaving dry food behind.

Edit: also, wet food tends to keep cats full for longer since it isn't as calorie-dense+nutritionally lacking as dry food, so if you've upped her wet food intake it makes sense that she's stepping back from the dry a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you! I’ll weigh her at least twice per week just to keep an eye on it. I guess having to add in a few extra calories would be a good problem to have!

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good luck! It's definitely a journey. I recommend starting a spreadsheet to track the weigh-in ratings (or write it on a calendar or something). Try not to feel discouraged if you don't see progress quickly. I can empathize. My kitty went from 18.5 to 15 over a period of 9 months, which is actually pretty effective, but she still has 3-4 lbs to go.

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow that’s amazing! Yes, I’m just going to take my time and not rush things. Good idea about the spreadsheet, thanks and good luck!! 😊

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A timed feeder will help keep her on a schedule. I used one that had 5 sections, then put her food in there for when I wasn't going to be home. There are some that you can even put cold packs to keep wet food cool.

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A timed feeder will help keep her on a schedule. I used one that had 5 sections, then put her food in there for when I wasn't going to be home. There are some that you can even put cold packs to keep wet food cool.
Great idea! Thank you so much!!!