New to feral care - please advise

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is really your call based on what you perceive of his behavior. Traps will work and that is what I have always used but you might have to go through the introduction period of making him eat in it without setting it which will slow you down. I have not used a net, but a close friend does frequently and successfully. If you have to grab him, make sure you are well protected with gloves, jacket, whatever makes you feel safe as it will give you more confidence in doing that. As for the fecal mass....there is no really good way except soaking or cutting and the latter has to be done so carefully that it might not be wise on a feral.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck! You may end up having to use the trap. I rescued a kitten a year ago that had feces clumped all over it. The poor thing was so weak it couldn't hardly move but still put up a decent fight when I grabbed it and put it in a carrier. I got it right to my vet and they managed to save it and the vet tech adopted it. It turns out the poor little kitten had some sort of problem with her colon and would have died if I hadn't gotten her in when I did.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HoneyB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good luck! You may end up having to use the trap. I rescued a kitten a year ago that had feces clumped all over it. The poor thing was so weak it couldn't hardly move but still put up a decent fight when I grabbed it and put it in a carrier. I got it right to my vet and they managed to save it and the vet tech adopted it. It turns out the poor little kitten had some sort of problem with her colon and would have died if I hadn't gotten her in when I did.
Wow, I hope that isn't the cause on this little kitten. The kitten is long-haired so I'm hoping the clumping is a gradual buildup of feces that is adhering to the previous mess that got stuck to his/her hair. I'm waiting on a new carrier to arrive tomorrow and then will do my best to get that kitten in it.